The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Levy backs him with say around £100m this window he’ll stay. If he’s having to work with a net spend of peanuts then he’ll go.

God damn, Di Marzio saying that we will release Sarri and hire Lampard.

What a ******* horrid decision that would be.

Di Marzio was wrong about Sarri joining us last summer(he said it was off) and his reliability drops remarkably once you head outside of italy so i wouldnt stress too much.

Di Marzio was wrong about Sarri joining us last summer(he said it was off) and his reliability drops remarkably once you head outside of italy so i wouldnt stress too much.
The Italy thing is the concern though, since Sarri has been linked to the Juve job. Maybe that's why he has info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Italy thing is the concern though, since Sarri has been linked to the Juve job. Maybe that's why he has info.

TBH Di Marzio is a fair bit of click bait nowadays, he's not the oracle he was. Unless it comes from Alfredo Pedulla(he's been on the ball for everything concerning Sarri and his targets) I'm not paying it much attention.

Sarri got us being the third best club in England, to a cup final that the best team in the league needed a pen shoot out to beat us in and another cup final(a European one no less) coming up all with no preseason and a squad he inherited that doesn't suit him greatly.

Surely we aren't that stupid to throw it all away on magic beans which what Super Frank is at. I'll be pretty pissed if we do.

What’s wrong with getting Lampard? Club legend. I reckon the majority of fans would be onboard. Ok he’s largely unproven but I think Chelsea need to reconnect with their heritage.

What’s wrong with getting Lampard? Club legend. I reckon the majority of fans would be onboard. Ok he’s largely unproven but I think Chelsea need to reconnect with their heritage.
Way too soon, will end in heartbreak.

Club legends are given too much leeway. They’d need to be borderline relegated for him to get the sack

Well, this is a bit of a problem.
Sometimes it’s worth taking a punt on someone. If Chelsea do have a transfer ban and have to rely on recalling their young loaned out players then I think Lampard could be suited to take on the role.

Club legends are given too much leeway. They’d need to be borderline relegated for him to get the sack
Club legends rarely get hired these days. Something about Lampard tells me he’s going to be a good manager, how good is the question though. He’s articulate (certainly for a footballer - I know the private school he was educated at) and when I hear him speak about the game he clearly has a lot of ideas. Chelsea will probably interview him and will make a decision. They need to find a long term manager who can bring the soul of the club back. These foreign managers that last one or two seasons are leaving them slightly directionless and apparently close to failing FFP because of the turnover of players

Sometimes it’s worth taking a punt on someone. If Chelsea do have a transfer ban and have to rely on recalling their young loaned out players then I think Lampard could be suited to take on the role.
Personally, if I were Frank's agent, i'd be encouraging him on nailing his Derby County career and becoming a legend their as well.

From Chelsea's pov for the short term, I'd be going the Eric ten Hag calibre level type path. If he succeeds, then great and we'll carry on. If he doesn't, the club and fans are not attached to him anyway, so it doesn't matter if he goes.

This is partly the reason I wouldn’t be against getting him in. Bring him in, give him 5 years to build something. Can’t complain as a Chelsea fan over the last decade, we’ve won our fair share of trophies.. but there’s no identity. We bring in managers for 2 years, win things occasionally and then ship them out. Comes through in the way the players play, no continuity or fluency. Get a homegrown manager in, let him start playing the kids and build something for the long term.

Winning the occasional trophy like we have been and taking out the league in the years City (and Leicester) hasn’t won it has been great. But it feels a little empty when there’s no one you can really get behind for an extended period of time. It’d be good to get someone like Lampard who’s likeable and stick with him for a bit. Sarri isn’t that man.. He might turn out okay tactically but you can tell his heart isn’t in it. Feels similar to when Van Marwijk took over for the World Cup. Just there to do a job and move on. Compare that to Klopp (who hasn’t won anything yet but is on the brink of dominating), and Ole who wasn’t too bad initially and who I’m curious to see with a squad full of his own players. Was disappointed when Conte went up in flames as he seemed like the guy we needed. With Lampard though, you know he’ll get an armchair ride by the supporters and board.. who will give him the players he wants and the time he needs. Think it has the potential to be a turning point for the club.. don’t get anywhere if you don’t risk something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back