The Manager Merry-go-Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long till Norwich Farke their Gaffer off ? :)

Cannot afford sentiment to the manager who got them prompted if they want to survive.

Yes you can, look at Burnley with Dyche.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
How long till Norwich Farke their Gaffer off ? :)

Cannot afford sentiment to the manager who got them prompted if they want to survive.
The problem is the same as Fulham - they were conceding goals in the league below playing this same style which always means you will concede at the top level. Being stingy in the Championship is usually a good indicator of that ability in the EPL. Cardiff last year hung on for dear life and almost made it. Sheffield United are going well this season, Newcastle and Brighton similar a year after their promotion.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looking back he was a lot better than two of the three that succeeded him.
LVG got top four and won the FA cup Mou finished 2nd and won the Europe League so no he wasn’t. He was an utter turd. Possibly better than Solskjaer though

Looking back he was a lot better than two of the three that succeeded him.

The Scottish Solskjaer was only as good as the Norwegian Moyes.

By what metric?

Did pretty well in the CL for you guys. Also had basically no backing to get the players he wanted - didn't he want to sign Maguire while he was still at Sheff U?

He was sacked, LvG came in and you almost instantly went out and bought guys like Di Maria.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Did pretty well in the CL for you guys. Also had basically no backing to get the players he wanted - didn't he want to sign Maguire while he was still at Sheff U?

He was sacked, LvG came in and you almost instantly went out and bought guys like Di Maria.
Nah, a title winning team did well in the CL. LVG attracts players like Falcao and Di Maria. Moyes attracts the Fellaini's of this world.

Moyes spent 65-90m in one season. I'd say that's sufficient backing for a bloke that broke up a title winning squad and coaching staff. It is well known that he was indecisive on transfers, turning down the opportunity to sign Saul for 4m.

We should have bought Maguire and Robertson when Mick Phelan recommended them to the club after leaving Hull.

Nah, a title winning team did well in the CL. LVG attracts players like Falcao and Di Maria. Moyes attracts the Fellaini's of this world.

Moyes spent 65-90m in one season. I'd say that's sufficient backing for a bloke that broke up a title winning squad and coaching staff. It is well known that he was indecisive on transfers, turning down the opportunity to sign Saul for 4m.

We should have bought Maguire and Robertson when Mick Phelan recommended them to the club after leaving Hull.
And yet Fellaini was more successful for united than the other two fellas.

Not sure successful is the word I'd use but he certainly hung around for longer :$

I'm rating success on his longevity. Multiple managers saw a place for him in the XI.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The funny thing is Ferguson spent 25 years building the club to be the biggest and most successful in England and arguably Europe and it was on his insistence that they hired Moyes who went and destroyed all that in 8 or 9 months. To make matters even worse it’s City and now Liverpool who have replaced United

The funny thing is Ferguson spent 25 years building the club to be the biggest and most successful in England and arguably Europe and it was on his insistence that they hired Moyes who went and destroyed all that in 8 or 9 months. To make matters even worse it’s City and now Liverpool who have replaced United

I don't know if Moyes destroyed it, the squad was already pretty awful, and was testament to Ferguson going very short term focussed with signings like RvP to get him one last title. Zaha didn't come on as expected and he was the big young signing they had, not sure if that's down to Moyes or not though.

I'm not sure you could say any of the managers that followed really did much better or made better signings. Seems a much bigger issue at the club that was masked by how much Ferguson could get out of limited players.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
I don't know if Moyes destroyed it, the squad was already pretty awful, and was testament to Ferguson going very short term focussed with signings like RvP to get him one last title. Zaha didn't come on as expected and he was the big young signing they had, not sure if that's down to Moyes or not though.

I'm not sure you could say any of the managers that followed really did much better or made better signings. Seems a much bigger issue at the club that was masked by how much Ferguson could get out of limited players.
Awful? Limited players? The squad may have needed some rejuvenation but they had just comfortably won the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back