The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this counts yet when Liverpool fans talk about our injury problems, it doesnt count.

tenor.gif
You guys have been crying about injuries for months. It doesn't count for anything just a relevant point that should be brought up since there are no Saints fans on here.

Also kind of shows that you're not the only side to have most of it's core hit with injuries. The way it has been spoken about by Liverpool fans makes it seem like it's a once in a hundred year catastrophe, but this proves it happens regularly and hurts results.

I have as little sympathy for Soton as Liverpool. They have a deliberately small squad for whatever reason. Surprisingly, that means when they have injuries, they are thin on numbers.
I wouldn't have sympathy if they were in Europe and had a small squad. But when you've only got domestic compeition I don't think their squad is that much smaller than it should be.

Can't really bloat your squad planning to have 2 injuries at once at RB and injuries at CB when you're playing one of out of position to cover your RB. They don't have an adaquete back-up for Romeu the ball-winner in midfield which is not good enough. But even top clubs competing in Europe have regularly been caught short here. City with no Fernandinho replacement in the past. Spurs with no Hojberg alternative. Arsenal no proper Partey backup. Chelsea and Kante.

I wouldn't have sympathy if they were in Europe and had a small squad. But when you've only got domestic compeition I don't think their squad is that much smaller than it should be.

Can't really bloat your squad planning to have 2 injuries at once at RB and injuries at CB when you're playing one of out of position to cover your RB. They don't have an adaquete back-up for Romeu the ball-winner in midfield which is not good enough. But even top clubs competing in Europe have regularly been caught short here. City with no Fernandinho replacement in the past. Spurs with no Hojberg alternative. Arsenal no proper Partey backup. Chelsea and Kante.

Hasn't Hass said previously he likes to have a deliberately small squad? I look at someone like Villa who have only been in the league 1.5 seasons and would say they have a deeper squad than Soton.

Injuries that compile on top of one another like Liverpool and Saints have had this season and Spurs pre-lockdown last season are a relevant excuse for poor results. Doesn't mean anything though as you get the results that your fit players can muster. But in the grand scheme of things the results during these instances should be taken with a grain of salt when planning for future seasons.

I had no issue with Mourinho barely being able to get a point when we had no Son, Kane, Sissoko, Bergwijn and Lamela and GLC were playing but couldn't train. We were getting relegation level results but it was hardly the time to make decisions on the fit players or the manager.

But when you're getting those types of results with next to no injuries, that's when you have to look at players and managers for not being good enough,

Injuries that compile on top of one another like Liverpool and Saints have had this season and Spurs pre-lockdown last season are a relevant excuse for poor results. Doesn't mean anything though as you get the results that your fit players can muster. But in the grand scheme of things the results during these instances should be taken with a grain of salt when planning for future seasons.

I had no issue with Mourinho barely being able to get a point when we had no Son, Kane, Sissoko, Bergwijn and Lamela and GLC were playing but couldn't train. We were getting relegation level results but it was hardly the time to make decisions on the fit players or the manager.

But when you're getting those types of results with next to no injuries, that's when you have to look at players and managers for not being good enough,

It's relevant insofar as it explains dips in form, but it's not eliciting of sympathy when Klopp runs his team into the ground, or Hassenhuttel deliberately runs a small squad.

Look at Leicester who have a ton of injuries but a deep squad, or City who rotate regularly. Even someone like Villa having lost Grealish amongst others for stretches are coping through having decent quality cover.

It's relevant insofar as it explains dips in form, but it's not eliciting of sympathy when Klopp runs his team into the ground, or Hassenhuttel deliberately runs a small squad.

Look at Leicester who have a ton of injuries but a deep squad, or City who rotate regularly. Even someone like Villa having lost Grealish amongst others for stretches are coping through having decent quality cover.
Villa have a first team squad of 22 plus under 21s

Saints have a first team squad of 22 plus under 21s, but includes 3 GKs

Clubs without Europe obviously want to not block their acamdeies which should be applauded

For what it's worth Leicester run a squad of 25 including 3 GKs but were involved in an extra competition compared to Villa and Southampton

Also kind of shows that you're not the only side to have most of it's core hit with injuries.
There are levels though. You posted this.

Vestergaard - 4/9
KWP - 7/9
Romeu - 4/9
Walcott - 6/9 (should have seen that coming)
Diallo - 6/9
Vallery (backup full back to KWP) - 7/9
Miniamo - 5/9

At least they had some players playing. We've had 12 games since the Southampton game.

Van Dijk - 12/12
Gomez - 12/12
Matip - 10/12
Jota - 12/12
Fabinho 8/12
Keita - 11/12
Tsimikas - 6/12

I'd kill for some 4/9's haha.

And that's just the last 12 games. Henderson is set to miss 2/3 months with a groin. Thiago missed the first 3 months of the season after the Everton game early in the season. Ox has barely being fit. Milner has been out with hammy. Ali has missed games. Mo and Mane had covid. It's been ridiculous really. Trent missed quite a few games.

Been a horror season.

There are levels though. You posted this.

Vestergaard - 4/9
KWP - 7/9
Romeu - 4/9
Walcott - 6/9 (should have seen that coming)
Diallo - 6/9
Vallery (backup full back to KWP) - 7/9
Miniamo - 5/9

At least they had some players playing. We've had 12 games since the Southampton game.

Van Dijk - 12/12
Gomez - 12/12
Matip - 10/12
Jota - 12/12
Fabinho 8/12
Keita - 11/12
Tsimikas - 6/12

I'd kill for some 4/9's haha.

And that's just the last 12 games. Henderson is set to miss 2/3 months with a groin. Thiago missed the first 3 months of the season after the Everton game early in the season. Ox has barely being fit. Milner has been out with hammy. Ali has missed games. Mo and Mane had covid. It's been ridiculous really. Trent missed quite a few games.

Been a horror season.
Your whole season has been impacted as have your results.

Southampton's results pre injury run was very good. But since it's hit them they have dropped off. They don't have a top 4 level squad or squad depth that's for sure. They don't have the money for that or have the mass amount of games to keep the squad happy when there isn't injuries until they make Europe.

Klopp does tend to stick to a core of players he trusts and you could say he can run players into the ground but he's had to as well to get results. We cant win the league or win the Champions League by playing Origi or Neco Williams etc

City are the bench mark in England and I'm not crying foul, we are one of the richest clubs in the world and in England but again there are levels. To compete with City we had to get everything right and we had to over play a lot of players as we simply dont have the money to compete with City.

Look at their attacking options. Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Torres, B.Silva and in recent seasons Sane and D.Silva.

Yes we have Mane, Mo and Bob. World class but it drops off pretty quickly after that. Only the recent arrival of Jota would be of equal quality to City's attacking back ups. Shaq, Origi and Minamino are not Torres, Bernardo Silva and Mahrez.

Defensively since 17/18 City have bought Ake, Dias, Cancelo, Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Angelino to the tune of 364 million according to Transfer Market. We've spent 447 million since 17/18 on our entire squad. Our entire squad!

Nobody has the money to compete with City so we've had to get everything right which is a great credit to Edwards and Klopp. But the by product of that is having to throw so many games into so few players. Our best XI is as good as anyone's in world football so we thrash them to get results. City's money means they can rotate far more easily and still get away with results.

That's the reality of it and this year it's come back to bite us. But I'm not complaining, you cant take away our CL win or PL title and hopefully when everyone is back and healthy we can win the PL again.

Also funny when I read that back and I said you cant win the CL or PL with Origi or Neco Williams. And it's Origi's double against Barca in the semi final that helped us get to the final and then he scored the sealer in the CL final. Haha.

But you know what I mean. Those were big goals, but he's kinda trash.

Love you Div though... xxx

Klopp does tend to stick to a core of players he trusts and you could say he can run players into the ground but he's had to as well to get results. We cant win the league or win the Champions League by playing Origi or Neco Williams etc

City are the bench mark in England and I'm not crying foul, we are one of the richest clubs in the world and in England but again there are levels. To compete with City we had to get everything right and we had to over play a lot of players as we simply dont have the money to compete with City.

Look at their attacking options. Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Torres, B.Silva and in recent seasons Sane and D.Silva.

Yes we have Mane, Mo and Bob. World class but it drops off pretty quickly after that. Only the recent arrival of Jota would be of equal quality to City's attacking back ups. Shaq, Origi and Minamino are not Torres, Bernardo Silva and Mahrez.

Defensively since 17/18 City have bought Ake, Dias, Cancelo, Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Angelino to the tune of 364 million according to Transfer Market. We've spent 447 million since 17/18 on our entire squad. Our entire squad!

Nobody has the money to compete with City so we've had to get everything right which is a great credit to Edwards and Klopp. But the by product of that is having to throw so many games into so few players. Our best XI is as good as anyone's in world football so we thrash them to get results. City's money means they can rotate far more easily and still get away with results.

That's the reality of it and this year it's come back to bite us. But I'm not complaining, you cant take away our CL win or PL title and hopefully when everyone is back and healthy we can win the PL again.

He hasn't had to keep players on when you're up 3-0 in a game after 60 mins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't had to keep players on when you're up 3-0 in a game after 60 mins.
I do find that odd when managers do that. But at the same time I don't think that can be blamed for Liverpool's bad luck. Sometimes s**t happens with injuries and you've just got to roll with it and accept the results that come because of them. If of course injury crisis become a regular problem then the sports science, coaching and rehab teams need to take a look at themselves. I don't think Liverpool is at that stage yet.

United and Chelsea have spent more money in the last 2 years than City, so that excuse does hold wash with me.. City have been much more prudent in their spending and scouting, plus having the best manager in the world helps too.

So over this other teams cannot compete with Citeh bollocks. It's a cop out.

United and Chelsea have spent more money in the last 2 years than City, so that excuse does hold wash with me.. City have been much more prudent in their spending and scouting, plus having the best manager in the world helps too.

So over this other teams cannot compete with Citeh bollocks. It's a cop out.
1614734303144.png

Yeah definitely looks to me like everyone can compete with City's money for sure.

:rolleyes:

Well surely you must agree that City winning silverwear and the league is much more preferable than their noisy neighbour minnows !!!
I absolutely do. I welcome City and their money, it stopped United in it's tracks and I loved it. Made it even harder to get back to the top but somehow we managed it.

But you saying it's a cop out is bullshit. City win because they have the most money. That's how football works. Bayern win in Germany because they have the most money. Barca and Real in Spain because they have the most money. Rangers and Celtic in Scotland because they have the most money, PSG in France because they have the most money.

It's not a cop out, it's just the truth. And to compete with that, even for other rich clubs like Liverpool, you need to get it right which we did. But it's not sustainable because we dont have enough money. Sure we're rich, just not that rich.

liverpool has money, it just goes to america to the red sox

Not anymore apparently. They did salary dump Mookie Betts and David Price for what was a trade package that doesn’t even touch the surface of what Betts is worth in a trade.

I now despise the sport of baseball.

That is a shame, the Red Sox breaking the Curse of the Bambino in 2004 was my most precious sporting memory (it's now 2nd or equal to Leeds winning promotion last year and the party that went on)

images

I actually have this book and read it several times. It was such an exquisite piece of timing by Stephen King and his mate to do a season long blog of the Red Sox in the year they broke a 86 year old curse.

I know much prefer baseball to cricket these days.
I have a dream to visit Fenway Park as much as I want to Elland Rd one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back