Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
We've never spent as much as £70m on a player so I guess time will tell on that.

Probably our most expensive flop was Mendy who cost less than Keita for example.
Fair enough but you've spent more than 50 million on a player 12 times. We've done it just three times.

I also wasnt saying you had bought flops, what I was saying is that even if a big money signing doesnt work out, it just doesnt really matter for City. That's different with us or any other team really, I mean if Ali or VVD ended up being busts, we'd be in big trouble.

Fair enough but you've spent more than 50 million on a player 12 times. We've done it just three times.

I also wasnt saying you had bought flops, what I was saying is that even if a big money signing doesnt work out, it just doesnt really matter for City. That's different with us or any other team really, I mean if Ali or VVD ended up being busts, we'd be in big trouble.
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Mendy spends three seasons injured and our current starting leftback is an attacking midfielder we bought for £1.7m.

Liverpool coped with Naby Keita barely playing last year.

Of course we've had the benefit of high levels of spending for over a decade. And that has enabled us to build a strong, deep squad.

But it's also because we invest the money we earn (decade in the champions league) and we dont make too many mistakes.

Only have to look at United to know that spending loads doesnt guarantee a strong squad.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Mendy spends three seasons injured and our current starting leftback is an attacking midfielder we bought for £1.7m.

Liverpool coped with Naby Keita barely playing last year.

Of course we've had the benefit of high levels of spending for over a decade. And that has enabled us to build a strong, deep squad.

But it's also because we invest the money we earn (decade in the champions league) and we dont make too many mistakes.

Only have to look at United to know that spending loads doesnt guarantee a strong squad.
Nah not really. You just have s**t tons of money so it makes life easy. You've spent well though so that helps. Not too many duds.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
If Liverpool genuinely couldnt have invested more in the squad after two champions league finals a league title and two top two finishes in the past five years, you really have to worry if they do drop down the standings and/or miss out on champions league.
I mean the owners are cutting the payroll and rebuilding on the Boston Red Sox currently so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened if Liverpool missed out on Champions League.

I do miss the antics of Hicks and Gillett though...

Nah not really. You just have sh*t tons of money so it makes life easy. You've spent well though so that helps. Not too many duds.
Very shallow response here it must be said. Virtually no in depth thoughts to a well constructed comment.

I guess cos it's pretty straight forward.
I hope people keep trying to excuse their failures on us having money.

It eases pressure on them to achieve, cause they've got an easy excuse when they don't.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Harry Kewell sacked at Oldham.

Our owner is a bell end. He's been through 7 different managers since he bought the club in 2018 and we are no better off. Earlier this season he sold our best striker to League 2 rivals Bradford. Mid-table is the best we can achieve and at worst we will drop out of the league.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.

is that why liverpool cant score at home vs fulham

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Harry Kewell sacked at Oldham.
A long way to the top after being sacked at a L2 side.

He really should have looked into the club before going there. So many red flags going into it. I would like to see our guys try and do what Muscat did somewhere else in Europe but again they have to be all over the owners/directors and not go anywhere with a record of sacking manager's willy nilly. I'm sure Muscat, Kewell & Popovic are all capable of being managers under the top 5 leagues right now but they need the right project to build their European reputations up first.

Not too worried about that. It's not Klopp's style at all. He loves the day to day stuff, not the couple of games every few months type of stuff. I dont think International management interests him at all.
You shouldn’t be. He’s already knocked it back

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pirlo , like Lampard , jumped the line straight into a top job.
But the catch is , they had to win straight away and have no time for career development .
Compared to say Klopp who started out at Mainz and many other top coaches who started in smaller clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back