The Manager Merry-go-Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
So who are Spurs after now? Can't see Rodgers going there. Rafa?
Geez they just got rid of one 'yesterday's man', can't imagine they want another less successful one.

I would still have Rodgers as favourite.
Decent record, not likely to upset the apple cart and held high profile/high pressure jobs previously.
Although as you say does he want to go there?

Interestingly I don't think the bookies have much idea.
By this stage a clear favourite would normally have been identified.
Sarri favourite, but a fairly open field.

EDIT; One relative outsider (at 20/1 and only quoted by one of the main bookies) is Christophe Galtier, currently boss at Lille who sit atop Ligue 1.
Rumoured to be leaving Lille at season's end even though he has a year to run on his contract.
French press suggesting he may be on his way to richer pastures in Nice (owned by INEOS boss and England's richest man in Jim Ratcliffe).
PL may appeal more?
FWIW apparently he speaks passable English.

Last edited:

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
#1 has been chalked off the list

Onto #2 for Rodgers who would also be smart to say no thanks.

Galtier would be a great choice. Get in his mate as director of football too!

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Watched a Graham Potter analysis clip and * it I'm not against him as much anymore. Lets go full xG and get him. He seems a great fit they concede a s**t load more from set pieces than they should which is proper Spursy

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Potter should be cautious if he ever gets offered the role. This is a team that sacked high profile manager 6 months after making CL final. Imagine pressure on a low profile manager
If anything a low profile manager will be afforded more time because it's not a band aid appointment and it would be one that we may have to accept 2 steps back to go 3 forward. Like we did with Pochettino. I was at a game early on in his 1st against Stoke at home where we got beat and sat about 12th in October or November and there were murmurings that he could get the chop but ultimately the club bought into his long term project and it went away pretty quick. We slowly improved and hit some real good form from around late December through to the end of March and finished 5th not that close to 4th.

Now he was our 2nd choice to van Gaal at the time. If van Gaal had us in 12th at that stage in his first year he would well and truly have been under pressure and not afforded the time to fix things and blood the youth etc.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
it'd be interesting to see potter's brighton style with a consistent finisher like kane leading the line.
I've changed my tune massively on him thanks to some analysis that looked further into their xG stats which have been great when results haven't.

Their attackers alone have scored roughly 10 goals less than they should, all in negative. Our attackers bar Bergwijn all in the positive and have scored 9 more than they should. Could be quite an interesting dynamic seeing us play under a manager that creates so many chances with lesser players.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ralf Rangnick should be very high on our radar having missed out on Nagelsmann. And if he doesn't want to manage then he should be brought in to work with a younger manager like Potter, Parker or Marsch.

I've changed my tune massively on him thanks to some analysis that looked further into their xG stats which have been great when results haven't.

Their attackers alone have scored roughly 10 goals less than they should, all in negative. Our attackers bar Bergwijn all in the positive and have scored 9 more than they should. Could be quite an interesting dynamic seeing us play under a manager that creates so many chances with lesser players.

The same xG stats that people have talked about week in week out?

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Corriere dello sport reporting talks have started between Roma & Sarri.

Irrespective of that outcome I've never bought into a Spurs/Sarri hook up.
Sarri just seems a bit too taciturn/dogmatic for Levy and I get the feeling Sarri would prefer to coach in Italy, rather than manage an English club.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The same xG stats that people have talked about week in week out?
Yeah looking into them in further detail explains its not so much a system failure. More bad finishing on most parts. And then even further look into the Maupay issues which I found odd but the analysis shows that he isnt the right striker for the system. Big reason I've been sceptical of Potter and Brighton is through loosely following Brentford and how well Maupay went there it just seemed odd to me he can't seem to work that well for Potter. But in reality he's doing okay and is a square peg in a round hole. He's work at Brentford was more poaching than the chances created for him at Brighton

Its not like Bayern to pick the eyes out of whoevers coming second, what a marvellous league.
Been musical chairs in Bundesliga. Dortmund sack coach, appoint Gladbach manager. Gladbach appoint Frankfurt manager. Bayern appoint Leipzig manager.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Not going to be Rodgers apparently.

Would be a bizarre move. Look at the transfer records of the two clubs in the last 3 years. Why would you leave a club who has found Fofana, Madison, Soyuncu for a club that has found Aurier, Sanchez and Bergwijn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back