The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'd feel the same. That little run you initially had under him does now smell a bit like one of those "honeymoon period" things. Reckon you could bring in a pretty biggish name if you tried
Yeah completely agree. Ironically, I'd love us to go to for Mancini but I think he said he wouldn't manage us after the Ranieri sacking.

Yeah completely agree. Ironically, I'd love us to go to for Mancini but I think he said he wouldn't manage us after the Ranieri sacking.
Merson is gonna go apeshit if you bring in a foreigner. You gotta do it just for that!

I can't think who is available really, but Mancini would be a perfect fit but sounds like you burnt your bridges there

Merson is gonna go apeshit if you bring in a foreigner. You gotta do it just for that!

I can't think who is available really, but Mancini would be a perfect fit but sounds like you burnt your bridges there
I do enjoy pissing off Merson haha.

Mancini did play for us way back when but yeah, not sure where he stands with us.

Talk here is Leicester are stalling on offering Shakespeare the role and most are speculating that it's down to that 6-1 hammering he took off Spurs. Bit harsh if that is the case considering it was a dead rubber. I wonder though if the 7-1 belting Silva took plus that defeat against Sunderland has put off a few prospective suitors

Precisely. Silva is rubbish. Needs to "earn his stripes" back at City. :)

You're convinced Silva would fare well in the championship (if he did stay)?

Yes. The Championship is every bit as much about preparation and organisation as it is about having the best squad. Look at Brighton v Villa for proof of that. Or look at Birmingham under Rowett v under Zola. Silva's professionalism and organisation would all but guarantee automatic promotion. Not to mention the help it would have in player retention and recruitment.

Yes. The Championship is every bit as much about preparation and organisation as it is about having the best squad. Look at Brighton v Villa for proof of that. Or look at Birmingham under Rowett v under Zola. Silva's professionalism and organisation would all but guarantee automatic promotion. Not to mention the help it would have in player retention and recruitment.
Championship is a really hard league to get promoted from. 'All but guarantee' is far stronger than I would have said.

For instance - Steve Bruce got you promoted twice and has struggled at Villa. Were the promotions due to his professionalism and organisation? If they were, why has that not worked at Villa.

As for the recruitment, are your owners going to allocate funds for transfers? If there's no money, Silva won't help with player recruitment.

That's not to say you're not right, I just don't think it'd be as easy for him as you suggested.

Championship is a really hard league to get promoted from. 'All but guarantee' is far stronger than I would have said.

For instance - Steve Bruce got you promoted twice and has struggled at Villa. Were the promotions due to his professionalism and organisation? If they were, why has that not worked at Villa.

As for the recruitment, are your owners going to allocate funds for transfers? If there's no money, Silva won't help with player recruitment.

That's not to say you're not right, I just don't think it'd be as easy for him as you suggested.

When Benitez agreed to stay with Newcastle, most agreed that that all but guaranteed them promotion. That turned out to be a pretty accurate prediction.

Bruce started at Villa with a huge handicap with the way that RDM screwed them up, and he had them finish incredibly strongly.

Of course they will, either we're going to sell players and buy replacements, or keep them. Either results in a strong Championship squad.

He's gone anyway so it's a moot point.

When Benitez agreed to stay with Newcastle, most agreed that that all but guaranteed them promotion. That turned out to be a pretty accurate prediction.

Bruce started at Villa with a huge handicap with the way that RDM screwed them up, and he had them finish incredibly strongly.

Of course they will, either we're going to sell players and buy replacements, or keep them. Either results in a strong Championship squad.

He's gone anyway so it's a moot point.

Benitez's standing in the game allowed us to sign/keep players of the likes of Shelvey, Ritchie and Gayle, all of whom are too good for the second tier. Not sure Silva would have quite the same pull (or backing from the owners).

But yes as you said moot point regarding Silva.

Apparently that was part of the reason Sam retired. They apparently told him they wouldn't be investing much in the summer as they believed they had a decent squad already.

I actually think Mancini could do better as well but I'd love him to take the Palace gig. Conte, Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Pochettino, Wenger, Mancini all in the same league. Delightful.

Yeah I read their wage budget might be a bit bloated which might mean the purse strings are a bit tighter. Mancini would be a fantastic appointment though if they can land him.

Also *cough* Rafa *cough* :D

This 100%.

To get promoted, you need a lot of variables to be working in your favour but don't underestimate the importance of proper preparation, professionalism and organisation. Having a squad of talented players is only a part of the formula.

Reflecting on this season, have noticed a huge improvement from previous years in terms of how organised and prepared we were. Every little thing seemed so well planned and considered. I'd heard Rafa had a meticulous eye for details but seeing him this season really opened my eyes (maybe they were shut after the trainwreck list of former managers we've had previously the last few seasons). Rafa kept the team grounded after every win. Kept them focused on the next match ahead and managing the expectations.

I know a lot of neutrals from other championship sides don't really want to give Rafa much credit (saying with his budget etc he should have walked the league) but have to keep in mind the massive surgery over summer to rebuild the team. IIRC was about 10 arrivals and even more departures so a lot of turnover in personnel. Plus the expectation of being a big fish (maybe the biggest) in the league with a high profile manager and the likelihood of lots of teams seeing the games against us as 'glamour' ties. Promotion was never a sure thing and he did a fantastic job of removing the gloom of relegation and getting the fans, board, players and media all on side - all of which IMO have important parts to play in a successful season.

Reflecting on this season, have noticed a huge improvement from previous years in terms of how organised and prepared we were. Every little thing seemed so well planned and considered. I'd heard Rafa had a meticulous eye for details but seeing him this season really opened my eyes (maybe they were shut after the trainwreck list of former managers we've had previously the last few seasons). Rafa kept the team grounded after every win. Kept them focused on the next match ahead and managing the expectations.

I know a lot of neutrals from other championship sides don't really want to give Rafa much credit (saying with his budget etc he should have walked the league) but have to keep in mind the massive surgery over summer to rebuild the team. IIRC was about 10 arrivals and even more departures so a lot of turnover in personnel. Plus the expectation of being a big fish (maybe the biggest) in the league with a high profile manager and the likelihood of lots of teams seeing the games against us as 'glamour' ties. Promotion was never a sure thing and he did a fantastic job of removing the gloom of relegation and getting the fans, board, players and media all on side - all of which IMO have important parts to play in a successful season.

Not many will ever give that fat Spanish waiter the credit he deserves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he'd just extended his contract with them a few days back.

Oh well, Sunderland?

Is Sunderland a better job than the Leeds one right now? Might be heading back to the premier league. Could see him as someone Watford or Southampton might be interested in.

Or maybe he's just realised what a bunch of ****bags Leeds are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought the most stable job would be Middlesbrough's.

Relatively wealthy local longtime owner, who is a fan of the club, doesn't have a trigger finger and a solid playing base.

Leeds, Watford constantly rollover their managers.
Surely more sensible than to leave Leeds for Hull.
Sunderland a basketcase. Owner looking to sell, unwilling to invest and 2 class players in Defoe and Pickford on their way out.
Puel's future still not confirmed at Southampton. Good playing group, but every season their ranks are thinned. How long can they replenish their stocks and continue to be competitive? Les Reed pulls the transfer strings, CEO left recently, owner looking to sell down her stake. If available, on the face of it the best job, but plenty of question marks.
If Shakespeare is overlooked I'd expect Leicester to seek a bigger name than Monk.

My guess is that Monk would like to go to a club where he can develop the team on his terms, where long term planning can be undertaken with a degree of certainty.
I'd say best bet for that would be 'boro.

EDIT; forgot to mention Palace. Good job, but unlikely for Monk I would have thought, given how little time has passed between Sam and Monk's resignations. Allardyce quitting seems to have taken Palace by surprise, so unlikely to have Monk lined up so quickly.

Last edited:
Monk to Boro would probably be good for both parties.

Have to feel for Leeds fans though, the first time they've actually performed decently with a manager in the Championship for a while and now he goes.

Oh well, we'll do Snoddy for Chris Wood as a straight swap thanks....

Woy wants the Palace job apparently.

If they don't get Silva (Watford are going to offer more money it seems), Sean Dyche would supposedly be their next target.
What's happening with your manager? Do you want him to stay?

What's happening with your manager? Do you want him to stay?
Well he's staying, he had a meeting with the board on Monday and that was confirmed, but no new contract.

Really it comes down to recruitment this off-season. That said, Bilic's tactics are pretty hit and miss, but we did have a lot of success late in the season with the 5 man defense. Whether our fans will accept having 30 pc possession and playing on the counter against the top teams in the long term is another matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back