Star Wars The Mandalorian

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it’s just me, but I get the sense the majority of the posters who participate in the various Star Wars threads in this forum also lived through the prequel trilogy? Most posters seem to be aged say 25-30+.

Yeah don't think there's many 15 year olds in here. In fact I daresay Jack is probably pretty close in age to me, yet is acting as if he's some wizened gatekeeper to that bygone era.

Only good prequel game was Republic Commando.

WRONG. The Clone Wars game multiplayer was ******* rad. The one where you built bases that generated ships to attack your enemy, and the survival mode in the Geonosis arena. *, my mates and I spent hundreds of hours on that.

Can't even think what other games there were.

Yeah don't think there's many 15 year olds in here. In fact I daresay Jack is probably pretty close in age to me, yet is acting as if he's some wizened gatekeeper to that bygone era.

Yes that’s what I mean, the PT didn’t end that long ago. 2005 was episode 3.

Only good prequel game was Republic Commando.

I’m no video game aficionado so don’t know how many games there were in total, but there was a cracking game on the old Nintendo GameCube. Clone Wars Battle or something. Loved unlocking the cheat codes and flying around in the republic gunship ******* the separatists up.

Yes that’s what I mean, the PT didn’t end that long ago. 2005 was episode 3.

I’m no video game aficionado so don’t know how many games there were in total, but there was a cracking game on the old Nintendo GameCube. Clone Wars Battle or something. Loved unlocking the cheat codes and flying around in the republic gunship ******* the separatists up.

Think that's the game I'm talking about! Was so much fun.

Think that's the game I'm talking about! Was so much fun.

Ah yes, sorry. Just saw your follow up comment. That was a brilliant game. How many hours I spent on that, and you’re right the survival mode in the arena was something else. Frustrated the * outta me at times but I’d also comeback eventually and try again haha.

Huh? Darth Plageuis literally takes place during TPM.

I lived through it too friend.
Were you purchasing the books as they were released? Because your view of the prequels’ popularity at the time seems off.

As is often the case, I don’t know what it is you’re actually arguing. That the prequels were popular and supported wholeheartedly by the publishing arm? A quick look at the Legends timeline shows that they published less than 30 books in the era out of almost 150. Even accounting for the years between the first book and TPM, that’s a significant difference.

That Disney isn’t is no longer interested in the ST era? Again, a quick look at the timeline of new books and a third are set after ROTJ with a number of them right in the ST timeline. Then there’s the fact the next movie, which is their biggest investment, is in the ST.

That you don’t think they are going to do much more in the ST era. We’ll, that’s you’re opinion and you’re entitled to it, but it’s hardly a fact. The biggest barrier to new material in any era is going to be not interfering with the more important canon of continuing film and TV; I suspect that’s why the Mandalorian original novel was canned. That’s why they like the High Republic era. And if the big three ST actors make it clear they aren’t coming back, they’ll probably start writing more in that era.

Were you purchasing the books as they were released? Because your view of the prequels’ popularity at the time seems off.

As is often the case, I don’t know what it is you’re actually arguing. That the prequels were popular and supported wholeheartedly by the publishing arm? A quick look at the Legends timeline shows that they published less than 30 books in the era out of almost 150. Even accounting for the years between the first book and TPM, that’s a significant difference.

That Disney isn’t is no longer interested in the ST era? Again, a quick look at the timeline of new books and a third are set after ROTJ with a number of them right in the ST timeline. Then there’s the fact the next movie, which is their biggest investment, is in the ST.

That you don’t think they are going to do much more in the ST era. We’ll, that’s you’re opinion and you’re entitled to it, but it’s hardly a fact. The biggest barrier to new material in any era is going to be not interfering with the more important canon of continuing film and TV; I suspect that’s why the Mandalorian original novel was canned. That’s why they like the High Republic era. And if the big three ST actors make it clear they aren’t coming back, they’ll probably start writing more in that era.

Yes I was purchasing the books as they were released lol, how old do you think I am? My view of the prequels popularity is not off, considering I'm commenting on the production of material not the perception of the films. And as I recall, after ROTS' release, there was some level of redemption for the trilogy given it ended somewhat solidly. The peripheral material focussed on ancillary or new characters and was broadly well received. Shatterpoint, for instance, is one of my favourite SW books.

Hey that's funny, same to you. You brought up Darth Plageuis as not being PT era despite having a third of the book overlap with TPM, you cited two trilogies of books set a year after ROTJ as sequel era because they were literal sequels to ROTJ (despite very distinctly not taking place in the sequel era).

The point I made which you've taken way down a rabbit hole is that there is no new media or material being produced in the ST-era, that is, from the beginning of TFA through to TROS. There is no new novel telling a story of some TROS character in between TLJ and TROS, there is no story set in the aftermath of those movies, and they've very deliberately shifted their focus to the High Republic era. The new Rogue Squadron movie will almost certainly take place some time after TROS to give that era a wide berth.

When you say "no longer interested" then point to books that came out during the release of those films is incredibly disingenuous, surely you realise that?

This is yet another example of you trying to blindly defend the ST and then finding yourself caught out and tied up in your own argument. I mean hell if you'd really wanted to poke at me about PT era books not being PT era surely you had a better example than Darth Plagueis, like, I dunno, Cloak of Deception? Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter? Neither of which literally overlap with one of the PT films..

Yes I was purchasing the books as they were released lol, how old do you think I am? My view of the prequels popularity is not off, considering I'm commenting on the production of material not the perception of the films. And as I recall, after ROTS' release, there was some level of redemption for the trilogy given it ended somewhat solidly. The peripheral material focussed on ancillary or new characters and was broadly well received. Shatterpoint, for instance, is one of my favourite SW books.

Hey that's funny, same to you. You brought up Darth Plageuis as not being PT era despite having a third of the book overlap with TPM, you cited two trilogies of books set a year after ROTJ as sequel era because they were literal sequels to ROTJ (despite very distinctly not taking place in the sequel era).

The point I made which you've taken way down a rabbit hole is that there is no new media or material being produced in the ST-era, that is, from the beginning of TFA through to TROS. There is no new novel telling a story of some TROS character in between TLJ and TROS, there is no story set in the aftermath of those movies, and they've very deliberately shifted their focus to the High Republic era. The new Rogue Squadron movie will almost certainly take place some time after TROS to give that era a wide berth.

When you say "no longer interested" then point to books that came out during the release of those films is incredibly disingenuous, surely you realise that?

This is yet another example of you trying to blindly defend the ST and then finding yourself caught out and tied up in your own argument. I mean hell if you'd really wanted to poke at me about PT era books not being PT era surely you had a better example than Darth Plagueis, like, I dunno, Cloak of Deception? Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter? Neither of which literally overlap with one of the PT films..
Again, what are you arguing? If you’re commenting on production of material, I point you again to the fact that there were 30 PT books out of more than 140. To you, that’s significant. But because they’re not pumping out ST books when it’s only been a year since the TROS was released and they now have multiple eras to play with (just how many books do you think they publish a year), that’s Disney abandoning it.

I’m not even defending the ST, I simply said Disney won’t abandon it and you’ve come in saying they will like it’s a statement of fact. I do like though how you simply assume the time setting of Rogue Squadron to support your argument. That was good.

Again, what are you arguing? If you’re commenting on production of material, I point you again to the fact that there were 30 PT books out of more than 140. To you, that’s significant. But because they’re not pumping out ST books when it’s only been a year since the TROS was released and they now have multiple eras to play with (just how many books do you think they publish a year), that’s Disney abandoning it.

I’m not even defending the ST, I simply said Disney won’t abandon it and you’ve come in saying they will like it’s a statement of fact. I do like though how you simply assume the time setting of Rogue Squadron to support your argument. That was good.

How much clearer do I need to be Jack? I've repeated my position several times but you seem to be lacking any comprehension ability so maybe we just leave things here.

You might have missed in the RS press release that they specified it would be a brand new era, so call it more an educated guess than an assumption. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much clearer do I need to be Jack? I've repeated my position several times but you seem to be lacking any comprehension ability so maybe we just leave things here.

You might have missed in the RS press release that they specified it would be a brand new era, so call it more an educated guess than an assumption. ;)
You actually have been clear on one point at least. You think Disney has abandoned the ST era and won’t produce any more content in that era; something you simply can’t and don’t know to be true. Yet you act like it’s a fact and get shirty that I won’t accept your ‘fact’.

So let’s wait and see, I guess.

You actually have been clear on one point at least. You think Disney has abandoned the ST era and won’t produce any more content in that era; something you simply can’t and don’t know to be true. Yet you act like it’s a fact and get shirty that I won’t accept your ‘fact’.

So let’s wait and see, I guess.

Hey there you go you can understand the point. It's been 18 months with nothing on the publishing horizon for at least the next 12 months, I reckon my assertion that the era has been shelved holds a bit more weight than your "those dozen PT publications after the PT finished weren't really PT either" argument.

Although with all that being said, you might have missed they did a "Free Fall" book about Poe's childhood, which seems the closest we've got to ST-era content since TROS, but even that was a prequel set years before, and not actually during or around the First Order conflict (right before TFA or between TLJ/TROS).

The timeline suggests more content between episodes VI and VII, and has Resistance and Galaxy's Edge sitting between episodes VIII and IX

View attachment 1174979

Resistance was cancelled before TROS came out.

Content between VI and VII is not automatically ST-era..

The timeline suggests more content between episodes VI and VII, and has Resistance and Galaxy's Edge sitting between episodes VIII and IX

View attachment 1174979

Hang on just noticed, does this mean that "Clone Wars" the animated shorts, and the Ewok stuff is now considered canon??

Although the Holiday Special is also on there.. wtf is that timeline?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back