Star Wars The Mandalorian

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If The Mandalorian is releasing October, I assume much of it’s been shot. Why are getting all these ‘leaks’ now? It’s not really a leak if Disney is spoon feeding you the info as part of promotion. Where were they months ago.

If The Mandalorian is releasing October, I assume much of it’s been shot. Why are getting all these ‘leaks’ now? It’s not really a leak if Disney is spoon feeding you the info as part of promotion. Where were they months ago.

It's finished shooting they're in post-production.

Yeah, thought I’d read it somewhere earlier, looked it up after I posted. So these ‘leaks’ are just promotional work.

Pretty much. I think it's just trying to put out positive news at the moment.

So just finished the last episode

Pretty good series imo much better than the last 2 movies

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
There is an ensemble cast in Gina Carano, Carl Weathers and presumably Giancarlo Esposito. My only concern is it gets too bogged down in mythology and lore, particularly from other media, rather than focusing on what worked.

There is an ensemble cast in Gina Carano, Carl Weathers and presumably Giancarlo Esposito. My only concern is it gets too bogged down in mythology and lore, particularly from other media, rather than focusing on what worked.
Giancarlo is the antagonist though.

If we have learnt anything from Star Wars, it's that knowing the minor details rarely pays off. Did we really need to know who built C-3PO or how Han got his Solo?

Saw a really good quote from Roger Ebert recently about how the obsession with knowing the minutiae in franchises such as this often substitute for having a deeper understanding of the themes and messages behind these movies. It means that for all people can know about Star Wars trivia and backstory etc. they often miss the bigger picture.

“A lot of fans are basically fans of fandom itself. It's all about them. They have mastered the Star Wars or Star Trek universes or whatever, but their objects of veneration are useful mainly as a backdrop to their own devotion. Anyone who would camp out in a tent on the sidewalk for weeks in order to be first in line for a movie is more into camping on the sidewalk than movies. Extreme fandom may serve as a security blanket for the socially inept, who use its extreme structure as a substitute for social skills. If you are Luke Skywalker and she is Princess Leia, you already know what to say to each other, which is so much safer than having to ad lib it. Your fannish obsession is your beard. If you know absolutely all the trivia about your cubbyhole of pop culture, it saves you from having to know anything about anything else. That's why it's excruciatingly boring to talk to such people: They're always asking you questions they know the answer to.”

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Very wise from Ebert, considering it must have been said years ago, and nerd culture has only gotten worse since. Many fans are indeed more in to what something does TO THEM than the story itself.

Likewise the same can be said about the people writing this, in lieu of good story and characters, they opt to expand things not asking for it.

I don't mind the sound of camping out on the footpath however.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t need to know Yoda’s origins however neither do I need George Lucas’s approval for any new ideas when a) he was also making it up as he went along; and b) he had plenty of bad ideas of his own. I’ll throw in c) that plenty of good ideas have come from people other than Lucas.

I don’t need to know Yoda’s origins however neither do I need George Lucas’s approval for any new ideas when a) he was also making it up as he went along; and b) he had plenty of bad ideas of his own. I’ll throw in c) that plenty of good ideas have come from people other than Lucas.

Like?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty much everything Timothy Zahn wrote: Thrawn, the Unknown Regions, the Nogrhi; the Han Solo books fill in his back story better than the movie did. I’d have to go back and look at some of the books for more but all the world building in the EU was expanded on by other people. Lucas laid out the framework and some of the better writers added to it. Others not so much.

Back