Star Wars The Mandalorian

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't like characters coming back from the 'dead'; that includes the Emperor, Maul and Fett. I know they did it in the EU, I didn't like it then either. And you can see the explanations getting ropier and ropier. Oh, despite being a killing machine, Fett was able to climb out of the Sarlaac. And Maul just replaced his whole lower torso with robot legs. And the Emperor 'transferred his soul'. It's a trope that needs to die. If you kill someone off for dramatic effect, you have to see it through.
I hate to break it to you but almost every franchise with popular characters uses, and has used, that trope for all eternity.

I mean, Obi Wan dies in Star wars but is still present in the next two films (not quite the same thing I know).

Spock in the Star Trek films "dies" then comes back.

Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

Etc. Etc.

I mean, Obi Wan dies in Star wars but is still present in the next two films (not quite the same thing I know).

And Luke in TLJ and TROS, who funnily enough pretty much dies the same way as Obi Wan. :)

I just don't like characters coming back from the 'dead'; that includes the Emperor, Maul and Fett. I know they did it in the EU, I didn't like it then either. And you can see the explanations getting ropier and ropier. Oh, despite being a killing machine, Fett was able to climb out of the Sarlaac. And Maul just replaced his whole lower torso with robot legs. And the Emperor 'transferred his soul'. It's a trope that needs to die. If you kill someone off for dramatic effect, you have to see it through.
The Salaac a killing machine? It takes 1000 years to digest anything hardly a killing machine.

The Salaac a killing machine? It takes 1000 years to digest anything hardly a killing machine.

Funnily when I first read that I thought he meant Fett was a killing machine, which is far more accurate and ironically supports the case for him getting out of the Sarlacc.

Like Leia in The Last Jedi, should have seen it through. Instead she comes back in a worse way than all 3 you listed above.
Leia was never dead, she cheated death. Just like I wouldn’t call Chewie’s ‘death’ in TROS a death. Just the worst bait-and-switch seen on the big screen in a long time. Much worse than the Leia incident.

How is that different from the other 3 outside of it happened in separate stories?
You literally see the emporer explode.

Boba Fett I agree and Darth Maul whilst you technically don’t see him dead it seems implausible that he could survive that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait....Darth Maul lived ?????

OMG i can't even with this sh*te anymore :drunk:

He had robo chicken legs before Obi Wan evicerated him again. Gone a long way since sitting in a diaper tank regrowing a hand for a few days.

That Wampa with the missing arm sought revenge on Luke in the EU so why not! Why did it happen? Because Kevin J Anderson.

My second favourite pointlessly weird bit of Anderson EU random detail, behind him having Admiral Daala retcon the 70s-era sideburns boasted by most of the Imperial generals in ANH as an "as was the style at the time" fashion for the Empire's officers around the Battle of Yavin.

My second favourite pointlessly weird bit of Anderson EU random detail, behind him having Admiral Daala retcon the 70s-era sideburns boasted by most of the Imperial generals in ANH as an "as was the style at the time" fashion for the Empire's officers around the Battle of Yavin.

That Wampa with the missing arm sought revenge on Luke in the EU so why not! Why did it happen? Because Kevin J Anderson.

There's a short story about that Wampa in the From a Certain Point of View book. But it's done well.

Kevin J Anderson was an awful addition to the SW EU outside of the broad concept of Luke having a Jedi Academy. I can't think of a single good addition he made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back