Star Wars The Mandalorian

Remove this Banner Ad

It is if the people you are largely pandering to is the toxic, racist assholes who chased Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley off social media and issued death threats to Rian Johnson. It's also a problem if it's part of a larger malaise; if everything has to be tied to characters and events from movies that are 40 years old, you're never evolving the story.

The people who carried on with that rubbish were a tiny percentage of Star Wars fans. Or are you implying that everyone who has a soft spot for Luke, is a racist, misogynist?

Mando is set five years after ROTJ, it makes perfect sense that the most powerful (or only depending on your viewpoint) Jedi, would be the one to take on Grogu. You are bitching about all the other Jedi are actually dead, so who else was going to train him.

You are so defensive of TLJ and see slights against it, where there are none. But people didn’t like TLJ, if they kept on that path, pretty soon there would be no further SW media.

But it's all a matter of degrees. As much as some of you hate to hear it, the cartoons are a niche, children's product. Expecting grown ass adults to watch it in order to see the TV shows/movies is a surefire way to reduce your audience, not expand it. They are supplementary material.

Don't want to touch the 'kids show' comment as it's been mentioned repeatedly. Could take your opinion more seriously if you had watched the animated shows, but don't think you have?

For a laugh, 6 minute mark, straight from the horse's mouth. (On Conan of all places)

Anyway......I don't think you've made a strong enough point that the other shows have impacted the enjoyment or understanding of Mando in a negative way whether you've seen them or not. You're still running off the presumption still that all Jedi were conclusively wiped out, which has never been explicitly stated in any Star Wars medium.

if something from the Mandalorian popped up in a Star Wars movie with no further explanation, then yes, that could be problematic. That said, Mandalorian is part of the mainstream product that is being pitched at regular audiences, they may choose to include references, but the movies must be able to stand up in their right. Just as WandaVision may broaden the Marvel universe, but if people go to see Dr Strange 2 and don't understand what's happening because they didn't see an unrelated show, that would be an error.

But it's all a matter of degrees. As much as some of you hate to hear it, the cartoons are a niche, children's product. Expecting grown ass adults to watch it in order to see the TV shows/movies is a surefire way to reduce your audience, not expand it. They are supplementary material.

Including Ahsoka without explanation, for example, is as stupid as introducing Vi Moradi into Rogue Squadron with no explanation and expecting everyone to know who she is.

Oh you poor thing, but no "grown ass adult" refers to themself as a "grown ass adult". I hate to break it to you but TCW is more authentic SW than your precious TLJ. This wailing, teeth gnashing about TCW was tired five years ago much less now.

Don't want to touch the 'kids show' comment as it's been mentioned repeatedly. Could take your opinion more seriously if you had watched the animated shows, but don't think you have?

For a laugh, 6 minute mark, straight from the horse's mouth. (On Conan of all places)

Anyway......I don't think you've made a strong enough point that the other shows have impacted the enjoyment or understanding of Mando in a negative way whether you've seen them or not. You're still running off the presumption still that all Jedi were conclusively wiped out, which has never been explicitly stated in any Star Wars medium.

Hadn't seen that clip before but that description of it is perfect. Jack will refuse to acknowledge it though.

Hadn't seen that clip before but that description of it is perfect. Jack will refuse to acknowledge it though.

Funnily enough I had no idea who Ashoka or Bo-Katan were two episodes prior to Bo-Katan showing up in Mando. Wife and I then binged both shows and just completed after the season finished.

Shows had the reverse effect of the sequels, at least from our point of view.

Go figure.

At work, will watch it later, but Lucas always knew the hierarchy of canon. He said it's all canon, but the movies overrule the TV shows which overrules the books and comics if there are any clashes. It was an acknowledgement that the movies sit on top of everything and have to make sense regardless of what other supplementary material comes along. Also an acknowledgement that the books, comics, cartoons etc will float ideas that just aren't good enough for movies.

And I've seen the cartoons, first half of season 1 of the Clone Wars and the first season of Rebels. They weren't that good. I don't care how good people think they got later or how "authentic" they think it is, it's a cartoon aimed at kids first and foremost. I'm happy to add that it's also aimed at obsessive adult fans (I draw my line of obsession at the books, which are still largely targeted at adult readers), but it is absolutely not aimed at mainstream adult audiences. Robot-legs Maul is all the evidence you need of that, it is something that wouldn't fly in anything but a kids' show.

The people who carried on with that rubbish were a tiny percentage of Star Wars fans. Or are you implying that everyone who has a soft spot for Luke, is a racist, misogynist?

Mando is set five years after ROTJ, it makes perfect sense that the most powerful (or only depending on your viewpoint) Jedi, would be the one to take on Grogu. You are bitching about all the other Jedi are actually dead, so who else was going to train him.

You are so defensive of TLJ and see slights against it, where there are none. But people didn’t like TLJ, if they kept on that path, pretty soon there would be no further SW media.
On its own, it could have stood up, but with Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Bo-Katan as well, it's a season that leaned too heavily on nostalgia. Those elements run the risk of being written by Star Wars nerds for Star Wars nerds. And if it follows on that path, it is more likely to alienate new fans than draw them in. The first season did it much better.

And the bolded is nonsense. It survived Caravan of Courage, it would have survived a film that open up new storyline possibilities rather than shrink the universe.

Including Ahsoka without explanation, for example, is as stupid as introducing Vi Moradi into Rogue Squadron with no explanation and expecting everyone to know who she is.
Why do I have to watch the cartoon?

I didnt know Ahsoka - apart from fanbois here gushing like 12 yr olds- but her appearance didnt lessen watching Mandalorian for me

At work, will watch it later, but Lucas always knew the hierarchy of canon. He said it's all canon, but the movies overrule the TV shows which overrules the books and comics if there are any clashes. It was an acknowledgement that the movies sit on top of everything and have to make sense regardless of what other supplementary material comes along. Also an acknowledgement that the books, comics, cartoons etc will float ideas that just aren't good enough for movies.

And I've seen the cartoons, first half of season 1 of the Clone Wars and the first season of Rebels. They weren't that good. I don't care how good people think they got later or how "authentic" they think it is, it's a cartoon aimed at kids first and foremost. I'm happy to add that it's also aimed at obsessive adult fans (I draw my line of obsession at the books, which are still largely targeted at adult readers), but it is absolutely not aimed at mainstream adult audiences. Robot-legs Maul is all the evidence you need of that, it is something that wouldn't fly in anything but a kids' show.

It's weird how you keep saying you know who it's targeted at but ignore what George Lucas specifically says about it. if the animated shows are aimed at kids then so are the movies, so why do you watch them? They're literally aimed at the same audience.

Wasn’t one of TLJ’s defences that it’s a kids movie so you shouldn’t care? It’s for the new generation of Star Wars fans not us?

Why do I have to watch the cartoon?

I didnt know Ahsoka - apart from fanbois here gushing like 12 yr olds- but her appearance didnt lessen watching Mandalorian for me
What does the audience need to know though. She's the Jedi Mando got told to find.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robot-legs Maul is all the evidence you need of that, it is something that wouldn't fly in anything but a kids' show.

Anakin literally got burnt to the point of death, had multiple limbs sliced off, was all but dead and was saved by being converted into a walking iron lung with *checks notes* 'robot legs' ... all on live action.

Last edited:
It is if the people you are largely pandering to is the toxic, racist assholes who chased Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley off social media and issued death threats to Rian Johnson. It's also a problem if it's part of a larger malaise; if everything has to be tied to characters and events from movies that are 40 years old, you're never evolving the story.

Never mind the people who diminished John Boyega's role in favour of the white actors, and it WASN'T JJ according to him.

Of course, it would be wrong of John to suggest anything. He's wrong for feeling how he does. It's him that is the racist.

Last edited:
General-Grievous_c9df9cb5.jpeg

What does the audience need to know though. She's the Jedi Mando got told to find.
This sounds like one of those arguments that tries to defence Snoke’s backstory not getting explained.

Who knew that wars can last a while? Who also knew that people who can forsee things, might avoid stuff?

Weird thing to read a complaint about jedi surviving order 66 "just because", that's a new take I never thought I'd read. I guess bushes of love is more clones with guns hiding behind everyone who is force sensitive, except of those indoors and above 4feet tall, in which case, only the midget gets to live.

Star Wars elbows must be rigid....

I just finished Clone Wars season 5 as Yoda prepares to become a force ghost.
I didnt mind the prequels and watching the Chancellor finally become Palpatine has been amazing.

Fives death hurt me. Watching ROTS at the time I always wondered why more wasnt done to out Palpatine and yet Fives nearly did :(

Onto the final season now and then REBELS!

I just finished Clone Wars season 5 as Yoda prepares to become a force ghost.
I didnt mind the prequels and watching the Chancellor finally become Palpatine has been amazing.

Fives death hurt me. Watching ROTS at the time I always wondered why more wasnt done to out Palpatine and yet Fives nearly did :(

Onto the final season now and then REBELS!
You sound like a Nazi man baby who cannot comprehend the genius of RJ.

Never mind the people who diminished John Boyega's role in favour of the white actors, and it was JJ according to him.

Of course, it would be wrong of John to suggest anything. He's wrong for feeling how he does. It's him that is the racist.

It was very weak of Disney to pander to the Chinese market with the way he was depicted in the theatrical poster. Pretty disgusting actually, with how topical racial equality is in the current world, there’s no way they’d get away with what they chose to do in 2015

This sounds like one of those arguments that tries to defence Snoke’s backstory not getting explained.

Yes the irony isn’t lost on me.

Snoke, random character appears in live action with no background or context in the movies.

“Don’t need his backstory, he’s just a vehicle there to advance the story along for one of the main characters, Kylo should be the big bad anyway”.

Ahsoka, random character appears in live action with no background or context in the movies in order to advance the story along for the main character.

“Hmm. This is problematic”.

It was very weak of Disney to pander to the Chinese market with the way he was depicted in the theatrical poster. Pretty disgusting actually, with how topical racial equality is in the current world, there’s no way they’d get away with what they chose to do in 2015

Yes the irony isn’t lost on me.

Snoke, random character appears in live action with no background or context in the movies.

“Don’t need his backstory, he’s just a vehicle there to advance the story along for one of the main characters, Kylo should be the big bad anyway”.

Ahsoka, random character appears in live action with no background or context in the movies in order to advance the story along for the main character.

“Hmm. This is problematic”.

If the internet existed at the time of the OT I'm sure people would be picking apart the fact that the Emperor shot lightning too.

Or land speeders with cables that can take down a massive metal beast.

Love Empire strikes back but there are so many dumb things in that movie.

No trees on Hoth to smash through armour like butta, or small sentient things for that matter.

And what you mean is the T47 Airspeeder converted into snowspeeder, they don't touch land, they do exist in atmophere. The rebel hierarchy of engineering is fine, the Empire side is not, which makes TFA really bloody jarring that they converted an entire planet into a furnace...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back