Star Wars The Mandalorian

Remove this Banner Ad

I push back slightly on this because the Luke of the books was also very anti-violence at least in the NJO where he was very much aligned with TLJ at least initially, however the point keeps coming back to the fact that both NJO and TLJ are about 30-35 years post ANH, whereas Mandalorian is more in line with Shadows of Mindor and other Legends material where he's wrecking shop when needed because he's a young enthusiastic Jedi Knight.
Master.

He proclaims himself a master when he set up the Jedi Academy. Before then he refers himself as a Jedi Knight.

Can't believe I remember that stuff sometimes. Its been over 20 years.

Correct. He's not a Master until he begins training students.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Also Luke isn't fighting people, or even Stormtroopers (who he never rejected violence against), but mindless killer robots.

Jack acts like Luke wanted to be a pacifist but he only rejected violence to try and save his father.

What about when he has pretty much rescued everyone from Jabba's barge already, then told Leia to jump on the gun and blow it up for shits and giggles? What about when he snuck on to the walker and instead of offering the crew a chance to surrender, just planted a bomb in there and skidaddles outta there?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing is anyway, Luke in TM isn't Rambo. As mentioned above, to go into a little bit.... Luke is a man of action when it comes to saving/helping his friends, or a good cause against the tyranny of evil, to restore balance, and all that. The barge scene. The Mandalorian scene....Grogu had just connected with Luke thru the Force the episode before, a call for help from Grogu, a Yoda species, and Luke obviously sensed danger to not only Grogu but the situation itself he had a handle on....Moff Gideon and the Dark Troopers about to have a key victory, saving the lives and turning the tide.

Jack could argue Luke at the end of TLJ is doing the same to help Leia etc. But the Luke for the most of TLJ was not the Luke JJ had written and shown in TFA. He was regal and presenting himself for the call, dressed in his Master Jedi attire, had left a map to be found, so he could come and help when Leia etc could find him....he had been hiding not to die and abandon the galaxy (as per TLJ) but probably to rejuvenate himself and find info/means to help him stop Snoke and Kylo....who had bested him recently killing his students and the Jedi Academy (TFA force vision by Rey).

Just cos Rian decided to twist the end of TFA and his interpretation of Luke into what he did doesn't make it correct. It's canon (for now), but that decision wasn't correct because he fundamentally did not understand Luke, as Mark Hamill explained....wouldn't abandon his cause or his friends. Sure, he might have hermit'd himself after the collapse of the Academy, but not to the extent Rian twisted it. And sure, Luke saying to Rey it's time for the Jedi to end, could be something a Luke devastated by loss of his Academy and researching of the Jedi's failings in history might think and espouse....but it could've all been done with deference and some reverence to the character. Just like ANH Obi-Wan wasn't a laughing stock either, he had an aura of being an old wizard about him, self-respecting, etc.

The thing is anyway, Luke in TM isn't Rambo. As mentioned above, to go into a little bit.... Luke is a man of action when it comes to saving/helping his friends, or a good cause against the tyranny of evil, to restore balance, and all that. The barge scene. The Mandalorian scene....Grogu had just connected with Luke thru the Force the episode before, a call for help from Grogu, a Yoda species, and Luke obviously sensed danger to not only Grogu but the situation itself he had a handle on....Moff Gideon and the Dark Troopers about to have a key victory, saving the lives and turning the tide.

Jack could argue Luke at the end of TLJ is doing the same to help Leia etc. But the Luke for the most of TLJ was not the Luke JJ had written and shown in TFA. He was regal and presenting himself for the call, dressed in his Master Jedi attire, had left a map to be found, so he could come and help when Leia etc could find him....he had been hiding not to die and abandon the galaxy (as per TLJ) but probably to rejuvenate himself and find info/means to help him stop Snoke and Kylo....who had bested him recently killing his students and the Jedi Academy (TFA force vision by Rey).

Just cos Rian decided to twist the end of TFA and his interpretation of Luke into what he did doesn't make it correct. It's canon (for now), but that decision wasn't correct because he fundamentally did not understand Luke, as Mark Hamill explained....wouldn't abandon his cause or his friends. Sure, he might have hermit'd himself after the collapse of the Academy, but not to the extent Rian twisted it. And sure, Luke saying to Rey it's time for the Jedi to end, could be something a Luke devastated by loss of his Academy and researching of the Jedi's failings in history might think and espouse....but it could've all been done with deference and some reverence to the character. Just like ANH Obi-Wan wasn't a laughing stock either, he had an aura of being an old wizard about him, self-respecting, etc.
Do i have to watch the comics or cartoons to understand this because other than TLJ i dont need to do that yeah? I just watch that and the rest is filler.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do i have to watch the comics or cartoons to understand this because other than TLJ i dont need to do that yeah? I just watch that and the rest is filler.
If you only watch the movies — the Luke in TLJ is incongruous to the Luke in the OT. If you also watched The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 16, where Luke appears....that post-ROTJ Luke in TM is also incongruous to the Luke in TLJ. The outlier then is TLJ

If you only watch the movies — the Luke in TLJ is incongruous to the Luke in the OT. If you also watched The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 16, where Luke appears....that post-ROTJ Luke in TM is also incongruous to the Luke in TLJ. The outlier then is TLJ
Characters like Luke and Boba are done anyway - it's al about who's going to play Rey going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When she used the Force to survive the vacumn of space. And complete Rey's training.

Huh? My comment was about Luke being a Knight around the time of The Mandalorian.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The only Luke Skywalker Jack Outback deems relevant is the decrepit given-up-the-ghost green milk teet drinking one :(

Why, Jack? Why?
I like my movies consistent.

But mostly I’m amused because for three years, all we’ve heard is that Luke in TLJ wouldn’t have done that, that’s not what he was like at the end of ROTJ, despite the passage of 30 years. When I point out that this Luke in the Mandalorian might be tonally inconsistent, the response I got was, ‘seven years have passed, mate, he changed’.:tearsofjoy:

RJ’s biggest mistake was thinking 30 years had passed since the OT, the fans have grown up, they would want a mature, measured movie. Turns out plenty just wanted to be treated as a child and see Luke wreck s**t like John Rambo.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

But mostly I’m amused because for three years, all we’ve heard is that Luke in TLJ wouldn’t have done that, that’s not what he was like at the end of ROTJ, despite the passage of 30 years. When I point out that this Luke in the Mandalorian might be tonally inconsistent, the response I got was, ‘seven years have passed, mate, he changed’.:tearsofjoy:

RJ’s biggest mistake was thinking 30 years had passed since the OT, the fans have grown up, they would want a mature, measured movie. Turns out plenty just wanted to be treated as a child and see Luke wreck sh*t like John Rambo.
RJ’s biggest mistake was thinking he could get away with some absolutely brain dead writing.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

RJ’s biggest mistake was thinking 30 years had passed since the OT, the fans have grown up, they would want a mature, measured movie. Turns out plenty just wanted to be treated as a child and see Luke wreck sh*t like John Rambo.
You thought the passage of time would make TLJ a masterpiece in hindsight. The opposite is occurring, more and more a disaster as time goes by. Just face it, youre about the only person left in the world he thinks this, and, accept that the entire ST should be flushed down the toilet. Not a redeemable thing about it anymore.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
You thought the passage of time would make TLJ a masterpiece in hindsight. The opposite is occurring, more and more a disaster as time goes by. Just face it, youre about the only person left in the world he thinks this, and, accept that the entire ST should be flushed down the toilet. Not a redeemable thing about it anymore.
You need to step out of your online echo chamber. There’s plenty of Star Wars fans that like TLJ, there’s plenty of casual fans that liked it and probably never thought much about it again because that’s how a lot of people watch movies. Just because you’ve found a handful of people online that agree with you doesn’t mean there’s a groundswell of people looking to remove it from canon.

This pissing contest of playing down the other side is so boring. Plenty of people love TLJ, plenty of people hate it. SW has pivoted away from the narrative set up by TLJ in a lot of ways through TM and TROS so it's impossible to argue that the backlash was just an 'echo chamber'.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Not entirely true.
Plenty of people like TLJ. I’m not saying I’m one of them though it’s not as bad as some on here make out.
Lots more love TFA.
Haven’t really met anyone who likes TROS.

But the ST is no worse that the PT. Am old enough to remember the outright rage that was put out there when the Prequels were released.

Will take a generation before you will have the kids who were fans grow up and then fondly remembering the ST like it took for the PT.

Not entirely true.
Plenty of people like TLJ. I’m not saying I’m one of them though it’s not as bad as some on here make out.
Lots more love TFA.
Haven’t really met anyone who likes TROS.

But the ST is no worse that the PT. Am old enough to remember the outright rage that was put out there when the Prequels were released.

Will take a generation before you will have the kids who were fans grow up and then fondly remembering the ST like it took for the PT.

Even that's debateable though, they have different cons and different pros.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back