Star Wars The Mandalorian

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than wearing a Han shot first shirt and general comments about people never being happy with him telling his story, I don't recall anything derogatory and insinuating intolerance like we've seen in current era.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Well we also didn't have social media back then with direct access to creators who experienced abuse from fans.

Other than wearing a Han shot first shirt and general comments about people never being happy with him telling his story, I don't recall anything derogatory and insinuating intolerance like we've seen in current era.

After the backlash of TPM, he did say Star Wars was for kids.

Not exactly the same thing as Kennedy and Rian though, is it?

Also ironic as the two movies that followed TPM are probably 2 of the the 3 darkest.

It certainly offended enough Star Wars freaks at the time!

Attack of the Clones was too boring to be dark. Lucas adapted his next two movies based on feedback, otherwise we would have seen Jar Jar doing the Chaplin on Musterfar.

EDIT: I've forgotten a lot about AOTC but just realised it did include that one decent scene where Anakin takes down a Tusken camp so yeah, that was dark.

Last edited:
It certainly offended enough Star Wars freaks at the time!

Attack of the Clones was too boring to be dark. Lucas adapted his next two movies based on feedback, otherwise we would have seen Jar Jar doing the Chaplin on Musterfar.

EDIT: I've forgotten a lot about AOTC but just realised it did include that one decent scene where Anakin takes down a Tusken camp so yeah, that was dark.
I find the whole Obi Wan detective plot a bit of a noir feel not really present in any other film.

As time passes in hindsight I really like what AOTC was trying to do but that's a discussion for a different thread... Probably.

The thing with the PT though, as M123 pointed out, was that the underlying plot is actually good and works well over the three films, it's the surface level things people didn't like - the acting and the effects in parts. It's virtually the opposite with the ST, where the surface level things like the effects and acting are much better, but the plot is incredibly shallow and doesn't stand up. So over time the ST will actually be thought of less.

Plus it's come out in an era of super saturation with content. When the PT came out, it was THE SW material. We've had R1, Solo, The Mandalorian and a bunch of other shows to come for kids to latch onto and enjoy. There won't be the same nostalgic pull of the ST for the next generation.

I could say that about many movies.

The overall story they were trying to tell was great.
It’s just the writing, acting (for the most part), effects, and the actual story that was for each movie sucked.

Yeah but the nostalgia part won’t be decided by us. It’ll be decided by the kids who went and watched it.

'i have a message for you'
'ok... I'm getting a bit old for that sh*t though, you wanna come with and help?'

'i have your lightsaber, your sister sent me, we need you help'
'******* stick it up your arse I'm not doing anything for anyone'

They're very different. One was waiting. One was running.

They were all running.

Passing the buck as it were.

The PT was universally derided by everyone and the company kept silent and didn't attack the fans.

The ST had this weird contrast between critics and fans and the company did attack the fans. That kind of approach isn't easily fixed.

Oh didn’t Lucas and Fox now?

As I’ve said elsewhere, looking back with rose coloured glasses changes everything.

“Lucas raped my childhood” is general comments now? That was what was being said when he made the prequels.

I could say that about many movies.

The overall story they were trying to tell was great.
It’s just the writing, acting (for the most part), effects, and the actual story that was for each movie sucked.

Yeah but the nostalgia part won’t be decided by us. It’ll be decided by the kids who went and watched it.

And I just explained why the kids won't care. My wife's sister loved TFA and was obsessed with Rey but didn't see TLJ or TROS because she got over Star Wars and watched other stuff.

And I just explained why the kids won't care. My wife's sister loved TFA and was obsessed with Rey but didn't see TLJ or TROS because she got over Star Wars and watched other stuff.

Yep you did and we all thought the same about the prequels at the time they were released, I remember that chat rooms and social blogs. It’s not you who will look back with rose coloured glasses, you’ve already had yours with the prequels.
Your wife’s sister doesn’t mean that others won’t.

I think some people think I love the sequels, I don’t. I dislike them for the most part. Just as I do the prequels.

Yep you did and we all thought the same about the prequels at the time they were released, I remember that chat rooms and social blogs. It’s not you who will look back with rose coloured glasses, you’ve already had yours with the prequels.
Your wife’s sister doesn’t mean that others won’t.

I think some people think I love the sequels, I don’t. I dislike them for the most part. Just as I do the prequels.

Bloody hell you can keep repeating that but you're claiming something will happen based on the context of films that 15 years ago, I'm qualifying my opinion with actual facts and examples.

"Just cos nostalgia" doesn't mean that the ST will be remembered fondly for a number of reasons, you saying "Well the others did" doesn't mean anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell you can keep repeating that but you're claiming something will happen based on the context of films that 15 years ago, I'm qualifying my opinion with actual facts and examples.
facts an examples? Your wives sister is a fact and example? I can find plenty of others who loved the movies, not hard to google and look online.
You’re claiming something won’t happen, even though it has happened before based off a family member.

During the PT I couldn’t find many who liked them either.

"Just cos nostalgia" doesn't mean that the ST will be remembered fondly for a number of reasons, you saying "Well the others did" doesn't mean anything.

“Just cos insert family member doesn’t like it” doesn’t mean they definitely won’t be remembered fondly.
You saying “I know someone who didn’t like it” doesn’t mean anything.

facts an examples? Your wives sister is a fact and example? I can find plenty of others who loved the movies, not hard to google and look online.
You’re claiming something won’t happen, even though it has happened before based off a family member.

During the PT I couldn’t find many who liked them either.

“Just cos insert family member doesn’t like it” doesn’t mean they definitely won’t be remembered fondly.
You saying “I know someone who didn’t like it” doesn’t mean anything.

Yes, I'm citing actual people in that generation of kids you're referring to. This is such a weird discussion. Are you this bored that you're defending s**t movies because "Well kids in 10 years will like remember them fondly"? No one will give a s**t in 10 years. There'll be another half dozen Star Wars movies by then. You keep repeating "Well it happened with the PT" ad nauseum despite others explaining in detail why the context around both the OT and PT were incredibly different to the ST, let alone the actual content of the films.

If you don't like the ST why are you even arguing?

Yes, I'm citing actual people in that generation of kids you're referring to. This is such a weird discussion. Are you this bored that you're defending sh*t movies because "Well kids in 10 years will like remember them fondly"? No one will give a sh*t in 10 years. There'll be another half dozen Star Wars movies by then. You keep repeating "Well it happened with the PT" ad nauseum despite others explaining in detail why the context around both the OT and PT were incredibly different to the ST, let alone the actual content of the films.

If you don't like the ST why are you even arguing?

No I’m not defending.

I’m more amused that those absolutely loathing the ST yet love the PT for just as large faults. Proves the rose coloured glasses.

Both trilogies are woeful.

Only saving grace recently is that R1 and Solo were both good (Besides Mando of course which is great). I’d give ROTS a pass though but really there’s been a long few decades of Meh or outright garbage.

Hopefully Disney just stays away from Skywalkers. They seem to get it right when they do.

No I’m not defending.

I’m more amused that those absolutely loathing the ST yet love the PT for just as large faults. Proves the rose coloured glasses.

Both trilogies are woeful.

Only saving grace recently is that R1 and Solo were both good (Besides Mando of course which is great). I’d give ROTS a pass though but really there’s been a long few decades of Meh or outright garbage.

Hopefully Disney just stays away from Skywalkers. They seem to get it right when they do.
Luke's appearance in TM was one of the high points in SW in recent years.

It was a high point, was great. But let’s not pretend the special effects on his face were almost fb level and he was not the story but a small part of said story.
The main line Skywalker sagas were not.

I dunno feels like a bit of a shifting of the goal posts from you. The effects were bad so the Skywalkers shouldn't be involved in material? The reaction showed there is a hunger for the inclusion of those characters if done in a way that most people respond to. The fact that the ST screwed the pooch so badly isn't justification from excluding them from future storytelling.

I don't know how we got here but seems like you're just after an argument for the sake of it.

I dunno feels like a bit of a shifting of the goal posts from you. The effects were bad so the Skywalkers shouldn't be involved in material? The reaction showed there is a hunger for the inclusion of those characters if done in a way that most people respond to. The fact that the ST screwed the pooch so badly isn't justification from excluding them from future storytelling.

I don't know how we got here but seems like you're just after an argument for the sake of it.

Lol No shifting at all. The cgi was s**t but that’s not the reason they should stay away from mainlining the Skywalkers again.

Just saying that the mainline stories of Skywalkers always ******* up the galaxy then their siblings or kids or some such having to save it has been done to death.

Plenty of stories to be had without continuing the saga.

That does not mean the characters can’t have bit parts in future tv shows or movies.

Just think Disney has been best when the Saga isn’t the focus.

We got here from the amusing defending of the PT why slamming the equally bad ST.

“Lucas raped my childhood” is general comments now? That was what was being said when he made the prequels.
I'm not sure you got what I was saying.

The company and film makers didn't attack the fanbase the way they have in the sequels.

The shitness of the sequels directly contributed to the increased appreciation for the sequels.

So what s**t movies are Lucasfilm gonna make to do that for the sequels? They'd have to be mighty bad.

I'm not sure you got what I was saying.

The company and film makers didn't attack the fanbase the way they have in the sequels.

Attack the fan base? Hardly. some of the vitriol served up against certain actors and film makers of the ST was cowardly bs. Then they whinged because they got return served?

Lucas wasn’t exactly polite in his return serves either, nor should he have been after what was said.

Lucas wasn’t exactly polite in his return serves either, nor should he have been after what was said.

Oh * him. He's denied all fans the ability to buy copies of the original cinematic trilogy after all this time. And for no justifiable reason. At one stage even packaged Star Wars DVDs to make it look like the 'original' films and fooling people into buying them. Finally when original versions were released, they were crappy Laserdisc ports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back