Movie The Many Saints of Newark (The Sopranos Prequel)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was fine, I'd expect most lovers of the series will get something out of it.

The main problem this endeavour faced from the get go was it was always going to be on a hiding to nothing as the bar set by the series is simply way too high for a 2 hour movie to compete with. I mean, how could they possibly squeeze in everything we wanted to see? They couldn't.

I see there's a bit of talk about another prequel, go for it I say.
They never meant to squeeze everything in. That's the point its about some of the same people, but it is not the same story.
Its like when your 10 your life will be something else when your fifty, you might be a postman you might be a Mafia Don, you might be President or Prime Minister, this shoew for me was much much more about people and how they are than gangsters, that was just the flesh and blod for people who like Texas Chain Saw Massacre stuff, or "SAW" SOME OF THOSE SHOWS WERE/ARE CRAP, BUT THE RESERVOIR DOGS, very different subtle and you have to think. The Sopranos for me was amazing in the fact that the first 2 to 3 seasons , they become heroic in a alternative life as anti society sort of, but as 4 gets going then all the rest, the foulness and greed and hatred inbred almost in those tiny minority of Italians that get in that life , starts to show throigh until when you see scenes with Carmella and Tony you begin to dislike then find disgust in them the blackening over time of the character of that series was genius I've never seen before, if you think that the Soprano creaters are going to F**K that up, its a wonder you ever watched the series let alone the movie. Nothing can replace Sopranos, but this will be good , because I and million s loved the series! If you go in expecting s**t you'll get s**t!

They never meant to squeeze everything in. That's the point its about some of the same people, but it is not the same story.
Its like when your 10 your life will be something else when your fifty, you might be a postman you might be a Mafia Don, you might be President or Prime Minister, this shoew for me was much much more about people and how they are than gangsters, that was just the flesh and blod for people who like Texas Chain Saw Massacre stuff, or "SAW" SOME OF THOSE SHOWS WERE/ARE CRAP, BUT THE RESERVOIR DOGS, very different subtle and you have to think. The Sopranos for me was amazing in the fact that the first 2 to 3 seasons , they become heroic in a alternative life as anti society sort of, but as 4 gets going then all the rest, the foulness and greed and hatred inbred almost in those tiny minority of Italians that get in that life , starts to show throigh until when you see scenes with Carmella and Tony you begin to dislike then find disgust in them the blackening over time of the character of that series was genius I've never seen before, if you think that the Soprano creaters are going to F**K that up, its a wonder you ever watched the series let alone the movie. Nothing can replace Sopranos, but this will be good , because I and million s loved the series! If you go in expecting sh*t you'll get sh*t!

10/10 for completely missing the point, top notch rant tho...

Its like when your 10 your life will be something else when your fifty, you might be a postman you might be a Mafia Don, you might be President or Prime Minister, this shoew for me was much much more about people and how they are than gangsters, that was just the flesh and blod for people who like Texas Chain Saw Massacre stuff, or "SAW" SOME OF THOSE SHOWS WERE/ARE CRAP, BUT THE RESERVOIR DOGS, very different subtle and you have to think. The Sopranos for me was amazing in the fact that the first 2 to 3 seasons , they become heroic in a alternative life as anti society sort of, but as 4 gets going then all the rest, the foulness and greed and hatred inbred almost in those tiny minority of Italians that get in that life , starts to show throigh until when you see scenes with Carmella and Tony you begin to dislike then find disgust in them the blackening over time of the character of that series was genius I've never seen before, if you think that the Soprano creaters are going to F**K that up, its a wonder you ever watched the series let alone the movie. Nothing can replace Sopranos, but this will be good , because I and million s loved the series! If you go in expecting sh*t you'll get sh*t!
so you haven’t seen it, but someone who has and gives an opinion on it (not really an overly negative one either) is wrong because you have it set in your mind what it is going to be?

I haven’t seen it either, am waiting for the cinemas, it might be good and might not be. If someone in the same cinema doesn’t like it and I do, it doesn’t mean they have a lesser understanding of the story, just might have wanted something different.

so you haven’t seen it, but someone who has and gives an opinion on it (not really an overly negative one either) is wrong because you have it set in your mind what it is going to be?

I haven’t seen it either, am waiting for the cinemas, it might be good and might not be. If someone in the same cinema doesn’t like it and I do, it doesn’t mean they have a lesser understanding of the story, just might have wanted something different.
Good for you.

10/10 for completely missing the point, top notch rant tho...
Yes but unlike some of you who appear to want an argument , at least I have something to make a point on.
Oh and I forgot one for Ray Jay, if you went to see it expecting, something different? Why go to a squeezed up Sopranos movie in the first place?
Any way, really a movie, we fighting over a movie?
I just think I'll love it, but if I think I'll hate or it won't have what I want in it I won't go.
But I don't and when it comes to missing the point, my feelings towards lots of things this show on TV brought up and how the characters were developed my feeling is if you loved the Sopranos you couldn't do anything else but love the prequel, so maybe I'm too complicated for you people, anyhow I 'm sure you'll let me know.
Now thats just me and what would I f*****g well know. Bit the same as you folk.

Yes but unlike some of you who appear to want an argument , at least I have something to make a point on.
Oh and I forgot one for Ray Jay, if you went to see it expecting, something different? Why go to a squeezed up Sopranos movie in the first place?
Any way, really a movie, we fighting over a movie?
I just think I'll love it, but if I think I'll hate or it won't have what I want in it I won't go.
But I don't and when it comes to missing the point, my feelings towards lots of things this show on TV brought up and how the characters were developed my feeling is if you loved the Sopranos you couldn't do anything else but love the prequel, so maybe I'm too complicated for you people, anyhow I 'm sure you'll let me know.
Now thats just me and what would I f*****g well know. Bit the same as you folk.

At no point have I gone looking for an argument so I stopped reading right there - my original comment was "It was fine" & having watched it a 2nd time, yeah I stand by that, not great, not bad, it's fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a perfectly fine, and has some really great performances (Vera as Olivia is note perfect) but tries to do too much by telling three stories (Dickie, Harold, Tony). They're all worthy for their own standalones but together made it feel unfocused.

Chase seems to think that you can watch it without having watched the series, and he's technically correct but there are far too many callbacks - including at the beginning and the end - that would make little sense to newcomers and/or seem completely random. I'd suspect if I hadn't just done a rewatch some of those things would've been lost on me as well. A solid 7/10.

Good grief after reading weeks of above I thought I was heading into the apocalypse

Really enjoyed it. For a movie it gave context to the jigsaw of what Seasons 1-4 we’re definitely about. They were never going to capture the years prior in a 2 hour movie. Not a masterpiece but enjoyable enough.

And Uncle Junior…well what a piece he was.

Just watched it, I thought it was pretty good. My girlfriend has only watched parts of the series and she probably thought it was better than I did. The performances were all good (possibly except Silvio but it isn’t a subtle role), Vera Farmiga probably the standout but Corey Stoll as junior was decent as well. It gave some good new backstory to the relationship between junior and Christopher in the first season of the show!

Good grief after reading weeks of above I thought I was heading into the apocalypse

Really enjoyed it. For a movie it gave context to the jigsaw of what Seasons 1-4 we’re definitely about. They were never going to capture the years prior in a 2 hour movie. Not a masterpiece but enjoyable enough.

And Uncle Junior…well what a piece he was.
Yeah, so bloody Junior kills Christophers old man, I absolutely loved it, it was somewhat mixed in with the 1967 riots or close by and some people who may have not got into the inner sanctums of that brilliant series, it could be disappointing, as a movie.
My son is an expert on that series he can say the dialogue from different scenes and was wrapped in it ,like me , he actually said that if you didn't know the show , you wouldn't really get the movie. It made me want to re start watching the series all over again the whole bloody thing.
One day ?

Loved it, but I understand, the not so impressed, looking for a new movie, the thing is it really is only for those who got deep into it, the little comments, and it wasn't Livia who said to young Tony when they first met new baby Christopher , it was Christophers mum who commented about how babies "could tell" about characters , good and bad , even then he was getting paranoid,
There was no other way for Tony , just one raod to travel.

Just watched this today.

It was good, not great, but enjoyable. Was interesting seeing the great Dickie Moltisanti in the living flesh. Interesting option they went with for who killed/ordered the hit on Dickie there wasn't really much rationale for why he was killed though other than a couple of minor perceived slights. I wonder if Tony or the other guys ever really knew who ordered the hit? Not something they can generally keep secret in that line of work.

It didn't really enhance the show which was a bit disappointing, lots of callbacks to things which were already shown/discussed during the series (Tony's dad shooting Livia through her beehive hairdo 🤣).

Did I miss something with Tony's dad going to jail though? When Tony saw him arrested in the show he was home later that night but in this he went to prison for a couple of years?

Actually it really is very meh. Just sort of seems a bit random and aimless, doesn't know what it wants to be. I wonder if a bloke that wrote the TV show of 6 seasons had trouble with then writing for 1 film.

Best bit about it is probably some of the acting. Wonder if it would have been better as a short TV series.

What do you reckon kozi.

Actually it really is very meh. Just sort of seems a bit random and aimless, doesn't know what it wants to be. I wonder if a bloke that wrote the TV show of 6 seasons had trouble with then writing for 1 film.

Best bit about it is probably some of the acting. Wonder if it would have been better as a short TV series.

What do you reckon kozi.
My expectations were fairly tempered and I still found it very meh. By no means a terrible movie, it just lacked the depth I think we all wanted. The scattergun approach to telling the 3 stories ultimately left it a bit unsure of itself. Not knowing what it wanted to be exactly was a good summation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back