Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The lady who lives over the back fence of my mums mother in laws brother said she heard from a friend who works in the same building as a sister of the father who built the Rialto and knew the jioker who wrote the Underbelly series said he won't be sacked but the heat is definitely on.

The lady who lives over the back fence of my mums mother in laws brother said she heard from a friend who works in the same building as a sister of the father who built the Rialto and knew the jioker who wrote the Underbelly series said he won't be sacked but the heat is definitely on.

so he's gone, the poor bugger?

The bloke is absolutely clueless, has to go.
Who will replace him. They need to get a top liner , now, and sign him for 5 years. I mean a top line proven coach. This club needs an over hall and a new approach altogether. A hard boss is the only way to go and that hard boss has to know footy backwards too.

Gee you get some information!!!!!!!!!

Lame duck who they'll keep for the season barring a calamitous defeat (150+ points), or a loss to GWS (if they play again?).

To those who don't think Neeld is responsible for the way this team is playing, I ask you this: do you think they'd be playing like this they'd appointed, say, Hinkley?
Thats a good question. I don't know , maybe they just aren't any good, who ever coaches . But something tells me its the coach.

What I want to know is why the Demons are deferring and letting this just keep going every week.

Today was 90 points and the commentators were suggesting in the dying stages Neeld would see out the year.

Exactly how is it of any benefit for Melbourne to become even more toxic as a drawcard in a fixturing sense? To their own fans, to the AFL and especially to the free to air broadcaster.

At the very least a new coaching regime sweeping through as a stop gap could patch up enough in the second half of the year to give the impression Melbourne will improve in 2014. Snap them out of permanent Sunday fixtures and maybe even get them a Friday night game back.

Accepting this as good enough week-in, week-out is utterly strange. Blaming the players is all well and good but the list can't be altered until 7 and the AFL's minds are made up on what teams will be out of sight and out of mind next year for fixturing purposes.

The problem is that nobody's even surprised about the result, and no one really cares anymore. I know that's a bit hypocritical coming from me considering the team I support, but it's still true. It's amazing how shocking their development is because you can see that their players have talent, but for some reason they just can't harness it.

Watters will probably get the media scrutiny this week, so Neeld will escape, but he's living on borrowed time.

The problem is that nobody's even surprised about the result, and no one really cares anymore. I know that's a bit hypocritical coming from me considering the team I support, but it's still true. It's amazing how shocking their development is because you can see that their players have talent, but for some reason they just can't harness it.

Watters will probably get the media scrutiny this week, so Neeld will escape, but he's living on borrowed time.

I want him gone now. He's killing the club. The thing is Melbourne supporters are starting to not care. Why should we? The result is a near-certainty, so why would we show up?

People say you support your team no matter what, but those people have never been through this.

A key reason Neeld hasn't been sacked is because we can't afford to pay him out. After being whacked with the $500,000 fine already, and looking at a $1.5 million loss for the year, we can't afford to pay out his contract.

He'll likely get the sack later in the year when it won't cost us as much financially, but he'll stay until then unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were Mark Neeld would have you the desire or energy to bother coaching these duds. I would give it away and do everyone (including myself) a favour. Take a pay out for the rest of the season and take a chance one of the other 17 coaches still think you'd make a good assistant.

Apparently the MFC are waiting for Jackson's report to land on theirs and the AFL's respective desks before they proceed with any actions. The list is re-building, he's had a horrid start to a coaching career, we were never going to be good this year due to such a large turnover (amongst other reasons), key personnel are out....but in my opinion the playing group is more capable right now than the level they're playing. There's something awry.

Trying to put personal views aside (whether I want him to stay etc), and weighing up all the info I've been privy to, I think he'll be given until the bye. He's probably gone then. There needs to be some kind of back up plan in place first though.

I will add, there's a very good chance he's not going to be the only coach in trouble this year.

They won't sack him until they have someone else lined up.

Would Collingwood take him back?

the Melbourne list is not even that bad. Sure it has a lot of dead wood, but a good coach would at least have them competitive and winning some games.

Neeld is the worst coach I have seen in my lifetime, by a mile. Half of his assistants are useless too.

Any truth to the rumour that Malthouse sold him big time to the Dees. If so, it is not the first time a coach has sold a non-performer for the benefit of their own club i.e. Freo was sold Damien Drum as the best thing since sliced bread.

Everyone looks totally lost which I don't understand when he has the former Adelaide coach sitting next to him!!

the Melbourne list is not even that bad. Sure it has a lot of dead wood, but a good coach would at least have them competitive and winning some games.

Neeld is the worst coach I have seen in my lifetime, by a mile. Half of his assistants are useless too.

Not that bad? It is a list almost completely bereft of senior leadership.

Their midfield depth is basically non-existent and even their starting midfield is by far the worst in the league.

If they can get a respected senior coach (Eade, Choco) they should go for him. But I honestly don't think Eade and Choco would actually want the position (especially given their respective jobs at the moment) and the cream of the unproved coaches (Burns ect.) would rather wait than take a huge gamble on taking on a basket case like Melbourne.

I think they should stick with him, the job to fix Melbourne was always going to take more than a year and a half.

Not that bad? It is a list almost completely bereft of senior leadership.

Their midfield depth is basically non-existent and even their starting midfield is by far the worst in the league.

If they can get a respected senior coach (Eade, Choco) they should go for him. But I honestly don't think Eade and Choco would actually want the position (especially given their respective jobs at the moment) and the cream of the unproved coaches (Burns ect.) would rather wait than take a huge gamble on taking on a basket case like Melbourne.

I think they should stick with him, the job to fix Melbourne was always going to take more than a year and a half.

The point is can he actually coach?

You've got to remember that Dean Bailey took this list to 8 wins in 19 games in 2011, of which one was against a non-expansion side. Neeld has won 5 games since the start of the 2012 season, 1 of which was against a non-expansion side. The list was the same for all intents and purposes last year with the added bonus of Mitch Clark for half the season.

We're talking about a guy who has a lower win/loss record than Peter Rohde and Damien Drum and Matthew Primus. At some point it is fine to recognise the lemon factor. Only one coach since 1987 has a lower win/loss percentage having coached more than 20 games, and that's Buckenara.

Now they are faced with not only bad performances but players wanting to leave Neeld has to be sacked sooner rather than later. A new coach will probably not stop the rot in terms of performances this year but he may inspire those players looking elsewhere to stick around. If they leave it until the end of the season then it's far too late.

With two further thrashings likely now he surely has to be gone by the bye, assuming Melbourne can find a credentialed coach they can afford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back