Autopsy The Massacre at the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-visiting the rankings for a laugh, with added hyperinflation.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

I Heeney 10/10 (12/10)
C Warner 10/10 (11/10)
E Gulden 10/10 (11/10)
L Parker 10/10
J Rowbottom 9/10
-
J McInerney 8/10
L McDonald 8/10
H McLean 8/10
N Blakey 7/10
A Sheldrick 7/10
T Papley 7/10
T Hickey 7/10
J Lloyd 7/10
-
B Campbell 6/10
O Florent 6/10
J Amartey 6/10
A Francis 5/10
C Mills 5/10 (s;o)
R Clarke 5/10
H Cunningham 5/10
-
R Fox 4/10 (s;i)
D Rampe 4/10
L Melican 3/10

I would usually post the opposition ones on the other board but that seems mean right now, so they're here instead:

L Shuey 7/10
-
E Yeo 6/10
T Kelly 5/10
J Petruccelle 5/10
-
T Barrass 4/10
D Sheed 4/10
J Darling 4/10
L Duggan 3/10
O Allen 3/10
-
J Hunt 2/10
A Gaff 2/10
R Ginbey 2/10
S Petrevski-Seton 2/10
B Williams 2/10
B Hough 2/10
A Witherden 2/10
E Hewett 1/10
C Chesser 1/10 (s;i)
L Edwards 1/10
N Long 1/10
R Bazzo 1/10
-
R Maric 0/10
J Williams 0/10 (s;o)
Papley above Amartey? Really? Poor Paps couldn't catch a cold while the rest of the team were burning up with Saturday Night Fever. I thought Florent was huge.

Paps was like the kid whose dad places the ball almost onto his chest, and he still drops it. We wasted 5-6 goals trying to boost Papley's confidence with little gimmes. I feel for Paps, at his best he's awesome. He's struggled since his 6 goal haul against Richmond but he needs to find his own way out of this slump.

I noticed we weren't going to ground as we have been recently. That's confidence returning. I watched the ressies and they were also falling all over the place v. the Pies. It's pretty hard to compete from on the ground (unless you're Heeney).

Our ball handling was also insanely better. I hope that sticks (groan - sorry). No seriously, our boys had the ball on a string. Florent's fancy work around a prime example. A week ago we struggled to pick up the ball.

Geez I like watching Amartey and McDonald together. Sad night for Bud to be off. With some more forwards for defenders to worry about, he'd have kicked a huge bag. I don't like how he's been disrespected this year when he's been basically fighting an entire defence on his own half the time. There's still fire in that belly. We need to give him a sniff of a last shot at finals, starting with the pussies

Papley above Amartey? Really? Poor Paps couldn't catch a cold while the rest of the team were burning up with Saturday Night Fever. I thought Florent was huge.

Paps was like the kid whose dad places the ball almost onto his chest, and he still drops it. We wasted 5-6 goals trying to boost Papley's confidence with little gimmes. I feel for Paps, at his best he's awesome. He's struggled since his 6 goal haul against Richmond but he needs to find his own way out of this slump.
ffs Papley took the MOST marks for us !

Papley was one of our top score involvement players, applied more pressure and played some midfield minutes as well.

Amartey kicked his 4 goals and went home, and he also dropped plenty of marks himself if you’re going to use that against Papley.

Papley was one of our top score involvement players, applied more pressure and played some midfield minutes as well.

Amartey kicked his 4 goals and went home, and he also dropped plenty of marks himself if you’re going to use that against Papley.

I'm a big fan of Papley but he had a poor night by comparison to his fellow forwards. On a night where we had many multiple goal kickers, where we feasted on the carcass of West Coast, Papley led our clamnger count and kicked just the one goal. Papley is much better than that. It was good to see he still led out inside 50 tackle count - a sign that he's working hard even when things aren't clicking into place - and he was in out top 10 for score involvements, though he is a forward, so that's his bread and butter.

"Amartey kicked his 4 goals and went home" The fact that he kicked 4 goals and went home afterwards is hardly a black mark. He's a forward. That's a good day's work. Amartey also created goals and tackled. His hard chase resulted in an early turnover which led to a goal. He had a bunch of score involvements and a goal assist, as did McDonald. They both kicked cleanly (4.0) and both had a disposal efficiency of 100%.

Pardon me if I'm more impressed by a couple of young forwards who kicked four goals apiece, their every touch hitting a target, than I am with an all Australian small forward who almost always plays well, but was well below his best in this game.

I know it was only the Eagles, still I can't help but notice that the media aren't talking about how well the Swans played. I mean, it's not like West Coast butchered themselves. It generally takes two teams to make a thrashing, and a thrashing of such epic proportions could only come about from one team playing poorly while the other played like gods. The media has spent a week discussing the former while the latter was barely mentioned. We can only play against the opposition we're given. Good on the team for refusing to take their collective foot off the Eagles' collective throat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back