Expansion The massive problem facing QLD AFL teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, and they've got a long way to go till they've given as much as they've taken, even if it was expected.
20 odd each from WA and SA draft combine
55 Vic.
6 NSW ACT.

Given? Don't they get to keep the ones they want?

Yeah, I'm not sure I heard Scott talking about Blakey's son and the academy stuff up there.
What shits me, is the amount of talent running around in the seconds for gws and the uphill battle a lot of clubs face to build teams now. It's wasting talent if they can't break into the higher standard of AFL and develop their game.

Does the author realise QLD teams get free public transport? That's why the levy the club has to pay is higher. We have to shell out $6.30 on the weekend to get to our games.
Just add the levy onto ticket or membership prices if it is too much of a burden.
We get free public transport to games in Adelaide but our ticket and membership prices are exorbitant. A decent seat is $60 a pop.

Home average for GWS last year was only 23k.

This is a team has been given every advantage by the AFL including being heavily promoted, a truckload of money and also draft concessions to get gun players. This was in a year in which many predicted them to win the flag along with an apparent population of 2.1 million that is all theirs.

All this and an average attendance of 23k is embarrassing. Imagine when they are doing poorly on the field :$:eek::$

EDIT: Actually I stuffed it up, it's only 13k :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I think you will find its around 13,000 and many people dispute the crowd numbers given out at Giants home games.

We get free public transport to games in Adelaide but our ticket and membership prices are exorbitant. A decent seat is $60 a pop.
Precisely. You're 'free' public transport gets added on to your seat/membersip prices. Yet the author of this article is claiming it's an unfair burden for Queensland clubs. The author instead should be looking at why they can't add it onto their prices and why people aren't willing to pay their fare share to attend games.

I think you will find its around 13,000 and many people dispute the crowd numbers given out at Giants home games.
The figures are fine, there's no real incentive to manipulate the numbers at Spotless. Promo tkts given mostly to junior players and their families and schools do distort the numbers a bit

Yes, I remember seeing highly dubious crowd figures which indicated the stadium over 1/2 full yet you could see on the tv coverage the ground was very easily well less than half full. People on here would say the crowd was out getting food or taking a piss. Well they must have some pretty humungeous toilets there. The crowd figures are bs.

The figures are fine, there's no real incentive to manipulate the numbers at Spotless. Promo tkts given mostly to junior players and their families and schools do distort the numbers a bit
Yes there is. They want it to sound more successful than it actually is. Crowd figures should only include those that actually enter the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$87 last time I was there. Spotless is $65 but you can use GA for half that with reasonable seats you can actually reserve ( wierd I know)

Precisely. You're 'free' public transport gets added on to your seat/membersip prices. Yet the author of this article is claiming it's an unfair burden for Queensland clubs. The author instead should be looking at why they can't add it onto their prices and why people aren't willing to pay their fare share to attend games.
Problem is more the cost the stadiums are forcing onto the QLD teams not the cost of a ticket for a patron

Yes there is. They want it to sound more successful than it actually is. Crowd figures should only include those that actually enter the ground.
No there isn't. I just said they give away tkts to achieve that. Or do you believe the moon is made of green cheese?

Problem is more the cost the stadiums are forcing onto the QLD teams not the cost of a ticket for a patron
The article says the $8 levy is the problem. Most of this $8 is for transport. In Melbourne we pay that from our own pocket every time we go to a game, I believe in SA and WA they have 'free' transport and that cost is added to their tickets, hence the higher prices.

No they are not. I can't be any clearer than that.
Your evidence is?
I remember threads in here from 2 years ago questioning the dubious crowd figures. One thread I posted tv pictures of the '13 thousand' crowd and the seats were 1/3 full at best in a 24k stadium. Posters said 'oh but everyone sits on the broadcast side of the ground' so I then post pictures from that side of the ground showing a few more people but still well under 1/2 full. Then posters said they are out getting food or taking a piss lol. The published crowd figures for that ground are bs.

Your evidence is?
I remember threads in here from 2 years ago questioning the dubious crowd figures. One thread I posted tv pictures of the '13 thousand' crowd and the seats were 1/3 full at best in a 24k stadium. Posters said 'oh but everyone sits on the broadcast side of the ground' so I then post pictures from that side of the ground showing a few more people but still well under 1/2 full. Then posters said they are out getting food or taking a piss lol. The published crowd figures for that ground are bs.
Ok
You make an absurd statement on the same level as claiming the moon landings were faked, and I am expected to provide evidence?
Your evidence is someone on BF said it after watching TV cameras, which are pointed at the oppisition side of the ground BTW, look empty. Spotless has a 25k capacity.
With a 13k crowd some of the stands on the Southern side are closed on the upper levels, and the rest are typically more than half empty.

Western Sydney has 2.1 million people living in it and Gold Coast is Australia's 6th largest city.

GWS I always felt was a great move

Gold Coast is just full of people who have no money because they retired to young and moved to the GC

Ok
You make an absurd statement on the same level as claiming the moon landings were faked, and I am expected to provide evidence?
Your evidence is someone on BF said it after watching TV cameras, which are pointed at the oppisition side of the ground BTW, look empty. Spotless has a 25k capacity.
With a 13k crowd some of the stands on the Southern side are closed on the upper levels, and the rest are typically more than half empty.
Did you actually read my post?
My evidence is what I saw on tv, it wasn't someone it was me. One side was easily less than a third full and the broadcast side was easily less than half full. That would work out to a crowd well under 10k, and that's being generous. You said yourself that for 13k the upper levels are closed on the outer side and the rest less than half full. That would make it impossible to get 13k even if the broadcast side was 50% full. Do the maths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back