Roast The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley

Mods, I am hoping this isn’t merged into the Chris Scott re-signs’ thread....

I have staunchly defended Scott over the past five years, on BF and amongst friends.

But when I heard the pre-game news that Stanley was out, he lost me. I don’t know if it was his decision solely or whether the ‘brains trust’ decided having no ruck and taking Blicavs out of defence would be a good idea.

I thought it was crazy. I’d checked the BOM Radar and I couldn’t see any rain on the horizon. What was Scott thinking?

The game was lost in the first 10 minutes. Our defence was a rabble. Coincidence that our defence was without Blicavs?

I don’t know if Scott can recover from this monumental stuff up

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham

I have staunchly defended Scott over the past five years, on BF and amongst friends.

But when I heard the pre-game news that Stanley was out, he lost me. I don’t know if it was his decision solely or whether the ‘brains trust’ decided having no ruck and taking Blicavs out of defence would be a good idea.

I thought it was crazy. I’d checked the BOM Radar and I couldn’t see any rain on the horizon. What was Scott thinking?

The game was lost in the first 10 minutes. Our defence was a rabble. Coincidence that our defence was without Blicavs?

Word for word this is how I feel too.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Ofcourse he will recover. This isnt even in his top 3 finals pre game stuff ups. We all forget and move on and then act surprised again.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
David King:

“This game was lost by Chris Scott. Chris is a seriously intelligent guy. I think when he wakes up today, he’ll think he made a horrendous mistake (withdrawing Stanley).

“I think Chris wants to be the reason they win. I think you’ve got to trust your players and set up the systems and endorse the program in totality and say you guys are going to be the reason we win. You don’t have to win every game from the coaches box.”

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
David King:

“This game was lost by Chris Scott. Chris is a seriously intelligent guy. I think when he wakes up today, he’ll think he made a horrendous mistake (withdrawing Stanley).

“I think Chris wants to be the reason they win. I think you’ve got to trust your players and set up the systems and endorse the program in totality and say you guys are going to be the reason we win. You don’t have to win every game from the coaches box.”
Good Grief!

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
David King:

Unfortunately I think this is spot on. The pattern of Scott's decisions in finals maps on too closely to King's description for it not to be true.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
David King:

"I think Chris wants to be the reason they win"
I've been saying that for years.
We support the CS ego club not Geelong

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
David King:

If an idiot like King can so succinctly voice what's happening then I find it difficult to fathom how the Geelong elite can continue to turn a blind eye.

Sack the lot of them.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
David King:

I heard that... I have slightly different variant on it ... he wants the accolades that have been affforded to super coach Clarkson...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
David King:

Its a sad world when david king is right.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
"I think Chris wants to be the reason they win"
I've been saying that for years.
We support the CS ego club not Geelong
Think it stems from the 2011 flag where everyone gave the list credit and not the coach bevause scott back then simply allowed the team to play attacking football. Since then scott has been using the club to promote his own ego. He doesnt want the players to win the flag again. He wants a flag won from the coaching box where the players are nothing more then pawns and scott gets all the accolades. Its been obvious for years now and finally the media is recognizing it.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I heard that... I have slightly differnt varient on it ... he wants the accolades that have been affforded to super coach Clarkson...
I think he loves getting the respect of a relatively small group of footy intellectuals, who take the sport and the statistics too seriously.
Unfortunately nerds shouldn't really have a place in sport or anything fun for that matter. They'll just suck all the fun out of it.

We have an existing home for Chris Scott bashing. If that’s what this thread is for it will be merged.

Alternatively, I can re-name it “The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley” and see how it goes?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Think it stems from the 2011 flag where everyone gave the list credit and not the coach bevause scott back then simply allowed the team to play attacking football. Since then scott has been using the club to promote his own ego. He doesnt want the players to win the flag again. He wants a flag won from the coaching box where the players are nothing more then pawns and scott gets all the accolades. Its been obvious for years now and finally the media is recognizing it.
Yeah crazy obvious. It's why Blitz wins B+F's ahead of better performing players and always gets coaches votes.
It's why we're the only team who constantly plays games with late changes

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Marc McGowan from AFL.com.au posted yesterday morning that Stanley wouldn’t play. Last night he wrote this which confirms the decision was made well before 90 mins before the match.

72C7FF02-BDA5-4654-A5FB-53E5340BE9AE.jpeg

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
The MC were surely the only people who thought dropping Stanley was a good decision. It was a disaster.

I actually can’t believe we did it. I reckon the three worst MC decisions I’ve EVER seen following this sport have been made by us - and all in finals.

Chapman sub in 2013 QF (250th game)
Menzel dropped for 2017 QF
Stanley dropped for 2019 QF

It’s honestly like our MC has had $$ on our opponents in these games.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah crazy obvious. It's why Blitz wins B+F's ahead of better performing players and always gets coaches votes.
It's why we're the only team who constantly plays games with late changes
Blitz was smashed by the a grade ruckman throughout 2015. But cos he managed to hold his own (not beat but just hold his own) against the b and c grade ruckman the coaches gave him glowing reviews as it made them feel vindicated. He also had two good midfield games earlier in the season. The 2015 b and f was a complete rort. He wasnt in the top 10 players that year even with all the injuries.

Last year he was in the top 5 players but still he wasnt the best.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting take. Scary if even remotely true.
No danger having a 'player led season' from this current group.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
David King:

Cuts deep when it comes from David King.

Back