Roast The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley

Where does any accountability come from for these monumentally bad decisions? It seems there is none because they keep recurring.
The coaching staff are accountable to the board.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
David King:

“This game was lost by Chris Scott. Chris is a seriously intelligent guy. I think when he wakes up today, he’ll think he made a horrendous mistake (withdrawing Stanley).

“I think Chris wants to be the reason they win. I think you’ve got to trust your players and set up the systems and endorse the program in totality and say you guys are going to be the reason we win. You don’t have to win every game from the coaches box.”

Ouch.

Contrast with Bomber who kept it simple and always put the credit on the players.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
9CC36C86-34BE-4253-931B-28176CE96B98.jpeg

😂😂

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
"The "inner circle" made the decision. They have all the KPIs, stats and knowledge that us lowlife bigfooty geelong plebs just dont have"

This is what an optimist would say

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
"The "inner circle" made the decision. They have all the KPIs, stats and knowledge that us lowlife bigfooty geelong plebs just dont have"

That's what Chris Scott would say. Read the Gameday thread when the late change was announced. 90% of us plebs knew it was a terrible decision straight away.

What’s optimistic about it?

David King:

“This game was lost by Chris Scott. Chris is a seriously intelligent guy. I think when he wakes up today, he’ll think he made a horrendous mistake (withdrawing Stanley).

“I think Chris wants to be the reason they win. I think you’ve got to trust your players and set up the systems and endorse the program in totality and say you guys are going to be the reason we win. You don’t have to win every game from the coaches box.”
This comment to me seems accurate and probably points to why we won't win the flag.
It essentially reading between the lines infers that Scott doesn't have full trust in his system or personnel to get the job done, so he needs to make coaches box masterclass tweaks to win us games.

When we were comfortably the best side in the comp under Bomber you'd never see him do s**t like this. He knew he had the best side, the best game plan for that side, and if they played even remotely close to decent that they'd win.

Deep down Scott has not got unwavering faith in this team, and he doesn't trust his game plan. The latter is most definitely all on him.

Who are the mystery Match Ctee??

No mystery - it would be comprised of the coaches:

Scott, Scarlett, Enright, Knights, Rahilly, Lappin & Lloyd

O'bree is our VFL coach; not sure what involvement he necessarily has with our senior team - meaning in a match day type setting

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Think it stems from the 2011 flag where everyone gave the list credit and not the coach bevause scott back then simply allowed the team to play attacking football. Since then scott has been using the club to promote his own ego. He doesnt want the players to win the flag again. He wants a flag won from the coaching box where the players are nothing more then pawns and scott gets all the accolades. Its been obvious for years now and finally the media is recognizing it.

Scarlo sits beside Scott in the box. I know he's a man of few words but he also strikes me as a man who won't suffer too much in the way of fools OR their bullsh*t. I don't know if Matthew Scarlett would bite his tongue if this kind of obvious thing was going on.

He would have burned the Reichstag already!

TheCattery2007

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2007
USA
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Washington Redskins & Caps
Mods, I am hoping this isn’t merged into the Chris Scott re-signs’ thread....

I have staunchly defended Scott over the past five years, on BF and amongst friends.

But when I heard the pre-game news that Stanley was out, he lost me. I don’t know if it was his decision solely or whether the ‘brains trust’ decided having no ruck and taking Blicavs out of defence would be a good idea.

I thought it was crazy. I’d checked the BOM Radar and I couldn’t see any rain on the horizon. What was Scott thinking?

The game was lost in the first 10 minutes. Our defence was a rabble. Coincidence that our defence was without Blicavs?

I don’t know if Scott can recover from this monumental stuff up

I’ve been in the same boat, but the decision to drop Stanley was indefensible. Even if it was predicted to rain, the consequence is pretty simple! Most stoppages, not less! So the logic to give one of the premier ruckman a free hit at it (even if in the rain) is just something I can’t understand. Prior to the game I thought if Stanley does well or even breaks even, we win. Once he was out I couldn’t see us winning. Players aren’t fools either, maybe explains the poor start...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

crocsta

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought before the game that the big danger for us was too tall.

The MC needed to drop a tall. The obvious player to drop was Harry but they couldn’t make the call.

The only other option would have been dropping Sav and playing Harry up forward parts and Blitz to 2nd ruck. Too messy.

I was ok with dropping a tall but Stanley was the wrong option when facing Grundy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
A couple of things:

1. Stanley wasn't dropped due to the weather. Scott and the MC had plenty of time to bring Stanley back in to the team once it became apparent that the weather would be fine. The weather is just an excuse for Scott and the MC outsmarting themselves once again.

2. Where has the idea that ruckmen are less important in the wet come from anyway? Or is it that Stanley performs poorly in the wet? I've never noticed or read anything to suggest that is the case. So even if we accept that it was purely the weather that saw Stanley dropped, I'd still question why? Why drop our best ruckman due to wet weather? Does any other club do this?

Back