Roast The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

What we dont need now is a Grand Jury over the actual facts... later yes. . but not now.

And it really doesnt matter now. Own the * up later.

Get this week over with first and park the "Womans Day he said she said " bullhit later.

GO Catters

What we dont need now is a Grand Jury over the actual facts... later yes. . but not now.

And it really doesnt matter now. Own the fu** up later.

Get this week over with first and park the "Womans Day he said she said " bullhit later.

GO Catters
Its relevant because it cuts to a mans character

But agree. Move on.

Scott may man up tonight 360 and take the fall

That's because he knows the deficiencies of this team, its players. Bringing up comparisons with the flag teams is part of the issue. This current team, is in no way near that quality. That team was so good that in 2011 it was player driven, and we did not even need a coach while Bomber was doing his Essendon jaunt, so we are constantly told. Our current team is just hanging in there, and CS is guilty of that. Topping up, melding together a team that can get up in H & A, failing in finals.
I certainly hate the Stanley out decision as well, and CS will have to wear that, but we have seen enough even this year to suggest how fickle our form and fortunes are.
But we did win the most games during the year. That means in all books that we were the best. Just had to continue with the team and game plan of the first half of the season. But we didn't for some strange reason. Footy is mainly an above te shoulders game especially at this time of the year. Yet we have done evrything to destroy that.

Seems pretty simple to me. Any voting member can vote for a position on the board and/or apply for a position on the board, subject to member election.
Yes all of that is true and you are correct. BUT tell me when was the last time that a vacancy on the board was announced to Members. When was the last time that Members were asked to nominate. When was the last time that Members were sent a ballot paper. What the Constitution says and what actually happens are miles apart.

Another ruck game where blitz has less touches per game then zac smith.

In the 3 matches that Blicavs has been number 1 ruck (vs North, Brisbane & Collingwood) he has averaged 11.3 disposals - less than both Stanley (13.7) and Smith (12.3) are averaging this year. All while being completely smashed in the ruck each time.

Credit where it's due - Blicavs' pressure and tackling around the stoppages has been good, but nowhere near enough to offset the hammering he gets in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the 3 matches that Blicavs has been number 1 ruck (vs North, Brisbane & Collingwood) he has averaged 11.3 disposals - less than both Stanley (13.7) and Smith (12.3) are averaging this year. All while being completely smashed in the ruck each time.

Credit where it's due - Blicavs' pressure and tackling around the stoppages has been good, but nowhere near enough to offset the hammering he gets in the ruck.

And it's not effort. I've said a lot about him (and I'll say a lot more), but it's never his endeavour or desperation that is in question. He's simply not suited to play as a ruckman (aside from giving the main rucks a spell), so play him where he has played by far his best football.

Last edited:
And it's not effort. I've said a lot about him (and I'll say a lot more), but it's never his endeavour or desperation that is in question. He's simply not suited to play as a ruckman (aside from giving the main rucks a spell), so play him where he was played by far his best football.

Yep, I don't blame Blicavs at all. Every time he steps on the field he's one of our best in terms of effort; he's just a s**t ruckman. No shame in that, it is what it is.

And it's not effort. I've said a lot about him (and I'll say a lot more), but it's never his endeavour or desperation that is in question. He's simply not suited to play as a ruckman (aside from giving the main rucks a spell), so play him where he has played by far his best football.

We have all seen this for the last six years.

Why can our MC not see it?

What is the purpose of a ruck contest?
To help the side win the ball from the stoppage in a contested nature?

Blicavs as ruckman:

Clearances combined diff: +16
Centre clearance: +12
Contested possession: +43

We’ve lost none of this categories more than once in 4 games with him in the ruck, and that’s against O’Brien, Jacobs, Martin and Grundy.

Stanley or Smith:

Clearances: 7/19 and a -28 differential
Centre clearances: 12/19 and +9 differential
Contested possessions: 15/19 and 228 differential.

Given we lose those metrics more often than we do with Blicavs I don’t think it’s entirely fair for a small minority of known Blicavs haters (not you) to lay into him. I thought Grundy was good and beat Blicavs, let’s not pretend that the other rucks are doing much better though

I don’t think it’s entirely fair for a small minority of known Blicavs haters (not you) to lay into him.

I'm not sure that people are laying into Blicavs directly - I think everyone is filthy at the decision to switch out from a stable and well performing structure into one that would be certain to raise questions, confusion, uncertainty on the eve of a final.

Blicavs might well hold his own in the ruck in some aspects, but that's not the point. The point is the match committee throwing the team into unfamiliar and relatively less-certain territory in a final.

It's a snowball effect... "Why the f@#k is Blicavs in the ruck" centre bounce... "oh $h!t, the pies are away here... crap, Blicavs isn't in the backline to take care of things.... awwww crap, a pair of our backs just ran into each other and let the pies score easily..."
next centre bounce... "jesus, here we go again, ... crap they scored again... oh man, wtf do we do this time" ...centre bounce "holy f*&k, we're getting smashed here.... "... etc... more little bad decisions here and there, more uncertainty... pies keep scoring... team structures unfold... more uncertainty... nothing seems to be working... Bang. Game is essentially over at this point and the team has to play catch up.

Given we lose those metrics more often than we do with Blicavs I don’t think it’s entirely fair for a small minority of known Blicavs haters (not you) to lay into him. I thought Grundy was good and beat Blicavs, let’s not pretend that the other rucks are doing much better though

I don’t know if there are any Blicavs haters these days. Even those who were sceptical about his place in our b22 for a while - and I had reservations at one point - acknowledge what a great contribution he’s made at FB. It’s clearly his best position and it’s where he got an AA squad nomination this year.

Old mate today:
"Accept the risk that putting yourself on the line brings. Accept the devastation of putting yourself the line brings… we embrace the opportunity in front of us. "I bet there are a lot of people that would love to get the opportunity, to risk the devastation, to get the opportunity we have on Friday night."
So basically, if you want to win a grand final, you have to be in a position to lose a grand final. So don't complain if we lose cos we could have won!

Last edited:
I read a quote somewhere that Scott said they ‘agonised’ over the dropping Stanley decision. So it’s quite concerning to me that something so bleedingly obviously wrong was given more than two minutes discussion before being dismissed as a foolhardy idea. Sounds like they are all too far in the bubble or something to see the forest for the trees.
The question is if Stanley had been selected and played what's the worst that could have happened? We lose the hit outs 38-15? At least we wouldn't have robbed Peter (i.e., Defence) to pay Paul

🤦🏻‍♂️ FFS it’s not the point! It was as much about the mindset of the move as it was the impact on the game Chris!

Anyone who is clamouring to have Scott come out and cop his right whack for the atrocious call to omit Stanley should recognise that it's as likely as a Suns flag in 2020.

What's far more concerning for me then is not whether he is prepared to acknowledge the mistake publicly; it's whether he actually truly believes that the madness that I believe pervaded team selection for Friday was actually just the still unrecognised genius of our MC.

I don't need him to be a bigger man than Arthur Fonzarelli. I just need him to be able to admit internally that it was a monumental mistake and learn from it.

And team selection for Friday night will probably tell me everything I need to know on that front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back