Roast The match committee’s decision to drop Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

i heard Danger on 3AW last night and he was asked whether Stanley would come into the team this week with Rohan and Duncan ruled out. Danger’s response was something to the effect that Stanley is in the mix but not a certainty. Danger may not know, but after what happened last week you’d expect a definitive message, wouldn’t you?

i heard Danger on 3AW last night and he was asked whether Stanley would come into the team this week with Rohan and Duncan ruled out. Danger’s response was something to the effect that Stanley is in the mix but not a certainty. Danger may not know, but after what happened last week you’d expect a definitive message, wouldn’t you?
No, because he might be spooking at training and we bring in forte

Its possible the MC wants to continue with their winning late change subterfuge policy

Hey, I've just had a thought <yep, dangerous, I know>

What do you guys and girls think of this...

Here's the context...

Years ago, I remember joining in with an "ask me anything" session with Mark Choco Williams. This was after we destroyed Port Adelaide in the GF. I asked him a few questions about his strategies and tactics leading up to the big dance. His response was basically to the effect of "In the lead up to games in finals, I'll tell the public and the media all sorts of things but not all of them necessarily give away my underlying goals" "At this time of year, my focus is on protecting the players and giving them every possible opportunity to do their best". i.e. coaches do all sorts of funny things during finals but don't necessarily give away what they're doing.

Now, here's my thought...

What if Scott and the match committee's goal all along has been to ensure that we don't have a week off in finals? i.e. knowing that we've got a bit of hoodoo history with byes/week off, they actually want us to lose the first finals game so we don't have a break. So, they make a move (drop Stanley) that is likely to provide 'cover' for not winning against the Pies. That way, from here onwards, we get a straight run to the GF without any more breaks in between...

When I read this back now before the Post reply button it does sound a bit far fetched. I think I must be clutching at straws trying to find some reason to confirm that we're a better team than the way we played last Friday.

I'm pretty sure someone said that after the Carlton game when Danger was interview on the ground post-match that he was non-committal on Stanley playing against Collingwood at that stage also.

Maybe we should all paid more attention when Danger speaks and he is actually pulling the match committee strings...

I'm pretty sure someone said that after the Carlton game when Danger was interview on the ground post-match that he was non-committal on Stanley playing against Collingwood at that stage also.

Maybe we should all paid more attention when Danger speaks and he is actually pulling the match committee strings...

Yes that’s right. He said they will use a horses for courses approach when choosing the team (and ruck position). This was immediately after Stanley destroyed Kruezer. GFC is an unusual club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't believe it. It has come out this week that Stanley was informed he wasn't playing Wednesday before the game. They named him purely to mess with Collingwoods selections, Scott never planned on playing Stanley. The whole rain thing was a lie.

The forecast on Wednesday for Friday night was thunderstorms. Take of your tinfoil hat.

Goldstein rejected 4 year deal from Geelong to stay with Norf on a 3 year deal.
Probably figured he'd play more football at Norf.
No worries about rain ruling him out at Marvel.

not worth a 4 year deal.

Damn straight.

Just shows how bereft of ideas we have become if we were seriously contemplating doing little more than paying hundreds of thousands of dollars direct into Goldy's retirement fund as the seasons rolled on.

Yes that’s right. He said they will use a horses for courses approach when choosing the team (and ruck position). This was immediately after Stanley destroyed Kruezer. GFC is an unusual club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rhys made his intent known right from the first bounce by jumping over the top of Kreuzer and Danger registering our first goal after 8 seconds
Played a very good game against quality opposition
I hope he can be the bigger man this week and put last Friday behind and play like he did in R23

Rhys made his intent known right from the first bounce by jumping over the top of Kreuzer and Danger registering our first goal after 8 seconds
Played a very good game against quality opposition
I hope he can be the bigger man this week and put last Friday behind and play like he did in R23
NicNat is an entirely different prospect though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back