Opinion The 'Match Day' Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Chasing the Dream

I'm Matthew Campbell from Sportsbet
Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - Ryan Harwood 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Daniel Merrett 2008 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 29, 2004
The GABBA is my home
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jets, Padres, USC, Utah Jazz
Crazy question....

The 'Match Day Experience'??? What exactly is it for us??

Was Lion Park cancelled due to weather??

Melbourne running out to 'Hells Bells' - AWESOME

Port Adelaide - "Never Tear Us Apart" - AWESOME

Carlton and the hovercraft (borrowed from the GC obviously from when we used it for transport to games:)) - AWESOME

Brisbane having a Lion jump out of a crate, a Lion which a kid sitting behind me accurately identified as looking like Scar from the Lion King (the bad nasty Lion) - LAME

Just thought a discussion on what we can actually do to make the GABBA
OURS on match days.

I know we will probably get some tongue in cheek responses in here, but IMO it is something we must be better at to make sure we keep the crowds there.

Don't forget the flames, seems to be standard at all sports events now.

The cage? A fanatical supporter group. Should have called them the Den just for lolz

One thing i noticed was the player introductions which had either changed or were forgotten until last minute and then quickly read out by the ground announcer.

I enjoyed it last night. The new banner looked pretty awesome and the fire blasting as the players ran out was epic. I got goosebumps. The lion in the cage was comical but made me cringe hopefully the last we see of that little skit.

Pretty sure the cage and lion was a bit of tongue in cheek. Dont think it was serious or that it will continue.

Think we just have to find something simple that fans identify with. Both Power and Dees simply using a song does this.

If you're relying on bells and whistles to attract people to your product, then there's something fundamentally amiss with your product. [/fossil]
Agree to a point. But we dont need all the fancy stuff. As has been mentioned, Power has created atmosphere simply by playing a song. It isnt stuff to attract people to the game, simply add to the live experience.

Agree to a point. But we dont need all the fancy stuff. As has been mentioned, Power has created atmosphere simply by playing a song. It isnt stuff to attract people to the game, simply add to the live experience.
We should have ran with The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Would have been appropriate for the first three quarters.

You bet I'm annoyed.

Pretty sure the cage and lion was a bit of tongue in cheek. Dont think it was serious or that it will continue.

Think we just have to find something simple that fans identify with. Both Power and Dees simply using a song does this.

Agree Chopperduck!!

The kids do seem to like the park out front of gate 2 normally. Maybe the weather changed this for this week.

I am not looking for huge bells and whistles... Just something to make the GABBA ours. I also get annoyed that when we travel to Melbourne, we get a run on a school oval, while when the Pies come here (and others) we open the doors to the GABBA and give the opposition a chance to get a feel of the ground.. FFS we only get one run a week on it for training.

A song is simple.. what could we use??

The AFL want a match day experience, and having attended many sports events here and overseas, I think some interaction with the fans is a good thing.

* Mr Ripper, I can actually see you standing on your seat singing 'A whim a whum a whim a whum a whim a whum a whim a whum' at the top of your lungs as the boys run out.

I'm sure the attendance was boosted because it was Collingwood, but a lot who went along were also attracted by the promise of a good showing from an up and coming young Lions outfit. It doesn't matter what pre-game razzmataz you put on, performances like that will quickly undo any benefit it might deliver.

The Lion was clearly tongue in cheek taking the piss on how up in arms people got about a real live lion being at the gabba.

The flames +banners and a song would be perfect at the actual ground. Bar that the lions park activities are always great for families then the kick to kick returning will be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously wasn't at the game, but the new banner looked pretty good on the TV with the lion's face and teeth.
I miss the days when they used to show the banner to all the sides of the ground. I just assumed it was teeth from my angle.

I kind of wish we'd dial back the on ground 'performance' pre-match. The opposition runs out of a banner near their ground entrance. Ours is on the 50m arc - the boys have already run 1/3rd of the ground before they even get to the thing, and then have to turn around immediately after running through it to avoid running through the umps practicing their bouncing, and then do their final warm up in the same 50m they just ran past.

I'd rather it if we could bring the banner and the kids waving the flags back towards the ground entrance, and make the entrance to the ground like it used to be.

We don't need flames. We're not Twenty20 or Rugby League.

I miss the days when they used to show the banner to all the sides of the ground. I just assumed it was teeth from my angle.

To be honest I didn't see the face, just assumed that because there was teeth there was a face...

ACDC Thunderstruck was playing up to the first bounce, I thought that was a great pump up song last night. Better than the usual dance/house music they play, which has little to none rev up factor!

As the OP said, Melbourne used Hells Bells. Thursday night at the G there was a bit of Franz Ferdinard and Wolfmother between breaks. Feels like your about to watch a serious contest; rather than a show.

The ground announcer can't even get the team list right.

He announced that Harris Andrews was on the interchange and sent me scrabbling onto Twitter to see who was omitted.

Yeah........bad blue.

But at least they just read the names out instead of that cringe-worthy, high decibel SCREAMING of the players' names that they've been going on with for the last few years.

I enjoyed the lower key intros even if they did a boo boo.

Yeah........bad blue.

But at least they just read the names out instead of that cringe-worthy, high decibel SCREAMING of the players' names that they've been going on with for the last few years.

I enjoyed the lower key intros even if they did a boo boo.

I'm with you on that. Although I think music down + lower key intros would have been better as the music seemed pretty loud during it. Nevertheless lower key is best.

How about a decent feed at a decent price. Or a beer that isn't $8 comes in a plastic cup and tastes like crap.

New bar looks all right, might give it a go next time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back