Matildas The Matildas and the 2019 Women's World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this sucks! Feel for the girls they deserve better but let’s be honest it’s been a really underwhelming tournament. Milicic’s game plan was far to loose defensively when in tournament football we should be tight and compact.

Don’t think he should be sacked through that would be harsh considering he’s only been in the job five months. He’ll coach till the Olympics next year.

Last edited:
Three clear penalties denied us and an utter BS red card. Those German officials are cheats. Once again in international soccer we are a second class citizen and the referees attitudes and decisions reflect it.
Agree with this too. the treatment of Australia (mens too) at international level is disgraceful.

We are often on the bad end of marginal calls and when there is a howler in a game it's always disadvantage Australia. Makes me sick.

Agree with this too. the treatment of Australia (mens too) at international level is disgraceful.

We are often on the bad end of marginal calls and when there is a howler in a game it's always disadvantage Australia. Makes me sick.

We are still considered as minows in world football especially within Europe. Unfortunately we just have to suck it up we don’t have any influence to change anything!

We got screwed IMO.

That pen shouldn't have been overturned. How was it a "clear and obvious" error to call it handball? The ref is right there to see it, but apparently 20 blurry replays from worse positions are good enough?

Handball in the second half not even worth looking at according to VAR?

The Kerr push one I could go either way with. I did think she was really beginning to just expect to be given a foul as the game went on.

But the red card... holy hell that's a howler. Foul and yellow, yes. But the Norwegian player was never getting to the ball before Williams. Definitely not a denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

People are raving saying this game was super entertaining and well officiated. I agree with the former but no way do I agree with the latter.

#wearetheofficialsworldcup

Another case of “how dare those Australians be good at our sport” type decisions.

VAR panel run like the Eurovision song contest.

Officials,like they do to Richmond in AFL on a weekly basis letting their emotions get in the way of facts.

Sam our best player, ever, should NOT have been captain( too much pressure )
Sam as expected was heavily marked in all games ( xclude Jamaica )
No other game plan to counter it like Sam taking two defenders away from goal
very proud of the girls , but loosing coaching did not help

People are raving saying this game was super entertaining and well officiated. I agree with the former but no way do I agree with the latter.
I think the refereeing did a great job, particularly in the first half, of keeping the game flowing which helped in making the game entertaining, but failed miserably when it came to the big decisions (Kennedy red, not giving a second yellow for an obvious cynical foul to Utland, not even looking at the second handball call (which was a pen imo) etc)

The whinging has to stop. You sound like sore losers. There's no conspiracy because if that were the case Italy wouldn't have had 2 goals ruled out, the first which probably was a goal then we took the lead. What about the goal against Brazil?

It's a shame we went out and a shame our best player, and best player in the world missed a pen. Part of me is glad not for her but the stupid media who put her on a pedal stool ( and rightfully so )

Love the Matilda's but stop blaming the refs every time we lose a game. Which these days, is quite often.

The whinging has to stop. You sound like sore losers. There's no conspiracy because if that were the case Italy wouldn't have had 2 goals ruled out, the first which probably was a goal then we took the lead. What about the goal against Brazil?

It's a shame we went out and a shame our best player, and best player in the world missed a pen. Part of me is glad not for her but the stupid media who put her on a pedal stool ( and rightfully so )

Love the Matilda's but stop blaming the refs every time we lose a game. Which these days, is quite often.
I blame DAVID GALLOP ego
closely followed by tracey holmes and Joey Peters
Sam should not be captain
NO game plan for when she was going to be heavily Marked in ALL games

How about the umpires in last nights geelong vs port game?

pedal stool
* me

Don't get me wrong, we had so many chances that should have been taken to score a winner. But that doesn't excuse the poor officiating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the whole 120 minutes, Norway played the better football. How many time did they hit the bar 2 or 3. They almost won it before the shootout. They deserved to go through.

Matilda’s for the majority of the tournament was poor. Italy out classed us. Brazil was a game of two halves. We were poor in the first but redeemed ourselves in the 2nd. Jamaica went as expected. You can’t put too much stock in that game due to opposition. And Norway were better.

The Stajcic decision had an adverse effect on the team and preparation for the tournament. No doubt about it. He should of been given an opportunity to finish what he started.

Doesn’t matter one iota if Norway played the better football,if the corrupt var judges did their job,the matildas win,simple as that.

If the matildas got that goal,they may have lifted mentally and been the better team anyway.

This sport is now using var as a tool of corruption not fairness which is why it was introduced in the first place,it was brought in to stop howlers.

Australia has been shaky at the back for months. Even in the Cup of Nations the defence was clearly the weak point, but the opponents Australia played weren't good enough to take advantage. In the two friendlies before the World Cup, Australia conceded eight goals. Not going to win too many games with that sort of shoddy defending.

Milicic was trying to get the players to adapt to his style of play and the FFA responded by giving him two friendlies after the Cup of Nations (which was scheduled while Stajcic was still coach) and a two week pre-World Cup training camp to give him the opportunity to work with the players.

By contrast, the USWNT played five friendlies between the end of the SheBelieves Cup and the start of the World Cup in April and May. And that is with a coach who has been in the job for five years.

The early exit falls on the shoulders of Gallop and the FFA board. They simply didn't give Milicic the tools he needed to get the squad ready for the World Cup.

There was a second handball when Caitlin Foord took a shot. It came clearly of the hand of a Norway defender in the penalty box - but it wasn't reviewed. I guess the ref considered that the Australian players were just appealing for a deflection for a corner - which wasn't given either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back