Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The switch passing has improved keeping possession. We're transitioning quickly through the midfield opening up play to get in a position to play a final ball through to the forwards . There's been a few skill mistakes but seems more instinctive now than in the first games Ante coached. We're seeing the player make the position and passing straight away rather than be uncertain and getting stuck with trying to play a low percentage ball.

I think that's very generous. Matildas seem very disjointed to me. Passes not being played when they should be and being played to the wrong areas when they are.

A better team than Chile up front would really have tested a shaky defence. Do not think Polkinghorne should be playing and Carpenter is vulnerable to players running hard at her.

I'm just comparing the transition in part of the ground between defence and forward where we had previously been constantly breaking down between defence and attack and turning it over. Chile are sitting back which helps.

It also helps having Catley in her best position running down the left side, and Carpenter down the right and Van Egmond further up field instead of dropping back as a defensive mid like she had to do in the World Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a goal like that happen? She just waltz past four Matilda's

Milicic is the coach. Been a problem under his watch since he replaced Stajcic.

Dunno what happened there. Logarzo was in a position to head it and seemed to just leave it. Maybe Williams called them and didn't see the striker would ghost in through the gap between the two defenders.

Just perusing the fixture list for the W League, looking for games to take my children to watch Melbourne City. Their fixtures are not family friendly. So many evening games in far-flung locations. Can't see myself taking my children to ABD Stadium or John McEwan Reserve on a Thursday or Saturday night.

The only half decent time is 6pm on a Sunday night in January (luckily still school holidays) at CB Smith Reserve.

I know they want to minimise the effect of hot weather on players and fans, but I don't think it helps to grow crowd numbers when you're playing games at places that are hard to reach.

Victory at least play some home games at Lakeside Stadium and AAMI Park.

Looks like a deliberate strategy to attract regional audiences:

Unfortunately, playing the Melbourne derby in Broadmeadows on a Thursday night will likely result in a lot of supporters staying home to watch on TV, rather than getting out there to support either team in person.

Personally, if I were to attend the game, it would be midnight before I get home. No way could I take my children to the game when they have school the next day if it was going to be at least midnight before they are home.

Is it just me or does Polkinghorne over-estimate her ball playing ability?

I think Polkinghorne overestimates a lot. Really think Milicic should be thanking her for her service and playing McCormick, Roestbakken or another defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back