Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to? She made mistakes pre-WC, made a massive one in the WC and was still making them in the friendlies against Chile.

She just doesn't seem capable of being a ball playing defender like Ante wants the CBs to be

Don't think her distribution has ever been an issue. Always been high quality. I just think she's slowing down a bit in pace and reacting slowly, often a step behind the striker watching what unfolds, whereas before she was more of interceptor that read the game quickly and cut out the danger.

Matildas defence conceding goals through mistakes has always been an issue - just as much when Stajcic was coach (just watch the goals conceded the previous time Chile came to play in Australia) but Polkinghorne was always the rock that kept things together. Now, not so much.

So if she's not want Ante wants, why is he picking her for this tournament?

Last edited:

Did see some game reports from the US league towards the end of last season that Foord was starting on the bench. Needs to be playing full time.

Teagan Micah is in the draft pool for the NWSL, coming out of college. My understanding is that goalkeepers tend to go late in the draft, if at all. The draft occurs tomorrow.

Have you attached much of the English league? I'm trying to get a feel for how good it is. It looks more rough and tumble and less skilled than the NWSL.

Must say I haven't watched any WSL, but my understanding is that the top teams are among the best in Europe and would hold their own against the powerhouses in the NWSL. Chelsea would be one of those clubs.

The bottom clubs would struggle to beat a state league team, I believe. Liverpool are running away with the premier league but their women's team is horrible.

Everton are mid table but are trying to build a better squad and obviously see Hayley as a key acquisition to push them forward.

I guess it's good for Hayley, too. She plays six months in a European competition and, after the Olympics (assuming Australia qualifies), has the choice of returning to the NWSL or to seek a longer term deal in Europe.

Makes four Australians playing in Europe right now: Gielnik, Kerr, De Vanna and now Raso.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to this article, Arsenal are still interested in acquiring Caitlin Foord.

Micah goes undrafted in the NWSL draft this morning. Not all that surprising, and I'm sure she'll receive a contract offer once her current deal with the Victory expires.

Micah goes undrafted in the NWSL draft this morning. Not all that surprising, and I'm sure she'll receive a contract offer once her current deal with the Victory expires.

From the outside it does seem odd that Micah is the understudy goalkeeper at Melb. Victory, but she's picked ahead of that clubs preferred W-League keeper for the National team in the upcoming Olympic qualifiers. Further indicates that the 3rd keeper in a squad isn't expected to play

I'm not happy with any of our GK's. Williams still the best, but when she has to pass the ball around with her feet I don't think she looks comfortable.

Last edited:
Dumont has been in ripping form for Victory this season. Hard to justify dropping her for Micah, who has been a late season acquisition. Personally, I would have selected Dumont for the Olympics qualifiers, but it is academic, since Williams is the clear first choice Matildas keeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back