stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Mary Fowler to join Montpellier.

As the story says, Fowler can still play for another country (Ireland) where her sister has already played, rather than Australia- and the family connection is a big thing. I think her brother plays in Europe too.

Everyone knows she's a fantastic talent - even previous Matildas coach Tom Sermanni (current coach of NZ) was quoted as saying she was a better player than Kerr at the same age, but she's not ours yet.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
What's the pathway to qualification?

I know Nth Korea withdrew from the tournament recently which was said to make it easier for us to qualify, although they don't appear to have been in our group (unless there's already been a replacement team).

From memory in 2016 it was top Two from each group play a final 4 knockout. The two winners automatically qualify and play the final of the Asian Cup and the two losing teams in the finals fight off for a 3rd spot - which gives Olympic qualifications for 3 teams - but not sure if its the same deal this time.

China seems to be the only challenging team in our group.
Top 2 from each group go through to a 2-legged play off playing the opposite position from the other group (e.g. winner of Group A v Runner-Up of Group B). Winner of those play-offs qualify. Asia get 2 spots in addition to Japan.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Kerr's an unlikely starter in the first Olympic qualifier tonight vs Chinese Taipei - as well as Yallop likely out with an injury.

Wouldn't think it would be a problem as the lesser lights (Raso, Gielnik) can probably turn in on against minnow teams.

Hoping Kyah Simon gets a look in as she's the most natural goal scorer left in the squad - as much I love how Foord plays don't think she finishes as well as Simon can - but Simon's been out of international football for a fair while now.

Looks like some heavy rain before and during the game.

From what I've read and seen of the W-League of late Van Egmond seems to be back to her best form after carrying injuries in the past year and underdone in the World Cup - expecting her to be the midfield general (now playing in her proper position).

Last edited:
First half hat trick to Foord, and another one to Catley. Good work against 12, given the fact the South Korean ref has a Taiwanese shirt under her ref jersey.

Over half the starting eleven rotated out by Milicic. I'm looking forward to seeing how Luik goes tonight. Been really unlucky with injuries but she's been a linchpin for City in midfield this season.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
China beat Chinese Taipei 5-0 to qualify to the next round, so I think that makes them +10 in the goal difference after 2 games.

We're on +7 after 1st game.

South Korea topped the other group with Vietnam in 2nd place - so whichever team tops this group plays Vietnam.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Over half the starting eleven rotated out by Milicic. I'm looking forward to seeing how Luik goes tonight. Been really unlucky with injuries but she's been a linchpin for City in midfield this season.

I see Yallop is named as one of the subs - so she must be right to come on

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Very good 2nd half, after a very underwhelming first 45. Thankfully Van Egmond was on target with a couple of chances, one that came after 48 minutes when there was only 2 minutes of extra time.

Defence had very little to do, and the opposition made it easy by giving the majority of their goalkicks directly back for a Matildas possession.

Van Egmond, Simon and Carpenter were the standouts, and I thought Luik in the 2nd half controlled the midfield. Foord couldn't finish tonight with 3 shots that hit the side bar.

Raso scored a brilliant left foot goal, which just further frustrates me because of the number of times she predictably takes on a player on her right only for the attack to fizzle out. (More evident in Friday's game). General consensus seemed to be she was one of the best against Chinese Taipei but I thought she messed up a lot more than she created and fouled too much. I still think she's a handy player because of her speed and she does have some skill to take a player on.

Gielnik even more frustrating with her lack of game sense at times and just clumsy touches that make it too easy for the opposition to defend.

Gorry is hit and miss - can be both brilliant and woeful with her passing and gives up the balls that catches the defenders out of position.

Think Roestbakken shows a bit, even though I don't think she's a first choice with Carpenter and Catley in the team, but she's got a little bit of acceleration when she needs it and can cut around the opposition with a good first touch.

Anyway, good coaching to rotate the side and have fresh players in Williams, Catley, Kellond-Knight, Logarzo and Kerr ready for the toughest game against China

Last edited:
Gielnik has played her way out of the squad if the Matildas qualify. Milicic has to drop two from the current squad and she has been poor in the two games she's played so far.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Part of Gielnik's problem might be that she hasn't been getting enough game time at Bayern Munich and hasn't played much with other members of the team recently.

The first half against Thailand the connecting balls to the forwards were off.

Matildas v USWNT home and away announced this morning. Away match to be played in April in Colorado. Home match in November 2021 at a venue to be determined (hopefully not Sydney).

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Matildas v USWNT home and away announced this morning. Away match to be played in April in Colorado. Home match in November 2021 at a venue to be determined (hopefully not Sydney).

Would be awesome to have it at AAMI PARK, I reckon we will sell it out! especially if the Matilda's can get a medal at the Olympics!

Would be awesome to have it at AAMI PARK, I reckon we will sell it out! especially if the Matilda's can get a medal at the Olympics!

Two matches in Australia, so one would hope it would be Sydney and Melbourne. But the Chile matches were Sydney and Adelaide, I think. Hopefully the Vic government underwrites it, like they did with the Cup of Nations last year.

Home leg of the knock out qualifier to be played in Newcastle.

FFA clearly forgetting there are locations outside new south wales. FFS.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
China maybe just got the better of the 1st half. A couple of times KK caught in possession game them clear chances which should have been finished.

We're trying to play out the back but we're not getting much connection into the midfield - maybe not enough movement ahead and we end up just criss crossing from side to side through the keeper. A couple of breaks down the side.

Its a good challenge for us after those lightweight games.

Back