Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gustavsson put it politely when he said we won between the boxes but it wasn't where tournament games are decided. Basically we're a team that gives up soft goals in defence and screws up goal scoring opportunities. USA goalie pulled out a couple of good saves but most of the shots were directly at her.

After that horror first header that went straight back up in the air, I thought Nash played quite well - at least more confidently on the ball than Nevin.

Carpenter also made some errors when she shifted to central defence. She was the one that tried to ambitiously cross a ball from defence to the wing that was intercepted and led to the 2nd goal where Nevin couldn't hold off Purse - as well as conceding a penalty which probably was a ref error.

Everyone has been saying for the last 2 tournaments to get rid of Polkinghorne and Kennedy but at this stage they're both in the frame for 2023.

Midfield needs someone who can make the play more often. Van Egmond probably more suited as an attacking midfielder. Cooney-Cross and Wheeler worth persisting with, but still need to find someone with a bit more class.

There's not that much time to fastrack some new players before the next world cup. One player that I saw was added to the Adelaide FC squad recently was Grace Taranto who has moved across from Victoria. She was a stand out in the junior Matildas matches in 2019 but apparently has been injured for a while. Sort of played as a defender but a very attacking one. As far as midfielders go - Hana Lowry from Perth Glory could make it as she's already had a year or so in the domestic competition.

We desperately need Kellond-Knight to get fit again. She's the only Australian who can play defensive midfield worth a damn. I would like to have seen Polias get a go but she apparently is too old to be selected now.

Van Egmond is not good enough to play as a holding midfielder at international level. Doesn't have the game sense to screen the back four like a good holding midfielder can.

In terms of central defenders, Checker didn't make the squad despite playing against Brazil. She has talent but needs to prove she can stay fit. But the cupboard is a bit bare right now. Trouble is that Polkinghorne and Kennedy can be too easily exploited by intelligent opponents.

Just watched the replay of the goal. Totally van Egmond's fault. She didn't win a 50-50 challenge then stopped and let Hatch run unimpeded into the box and pounce on the Purce cutback. Really lazy defending.

Pretty much 2nd best everywhere, with just the very occasional class ball that might put a player into a scoring chance but we've got a lot of "nearly players" who don't play at the level required to finish the job. Even though it looks good that some players fight it out, they don't get it done. We can get it done against weaker teams where we might get a 2nd and 3rd chance to fix up the first mistake.

When they have it around the box, they just give our defenders the run around and we've been lucky not to concede more.

That first goal...Nevin did a nice switch to get us out of pressure across to Yallop and she had heaps of space to take the ball forward and the first touch is to kick it 10m ahead of her - by the time she tracked it down their midfield was onto her and her attempt to flick it across to Van Egmond was intercepted. Then the pass into the box it seemed like the defenders mentality was to hope the ball didn't hold up. Just slack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to the Matildas dunno how they managed to draw that! US were comfortably better for the whole match

A massive tackle from Wheeler and a massive deflection off Sauerbrunn's knee, plus the narrowest of offside calls against Horan.

I know that TG continues trying to reduce the pressure on these performances by saying judge us on results in major tournaments. But we've seen nothing to suggest that we aren't going to be embarrassed in the Asian Cup.

I'm at the point now that I'm wracking my brain trying to think who the best unemployed coach in Australia is. Even the one guy they would never hire back just took a job in the Phillipines.

Defenders and midfielders here just stop and watch and hope the ball will cross the line. Only Carpenter really makes a bit of an effort to get into a defensive position. Hatch starts about 5metres behind a line of 4 (Yallop, Cooney-Cross,Van Edgmond and Nevin) and gets her self into a scoring position.

I know that TG continues trying to reduce the pressure on these performances by saying judge us on results in major tournaments. But we've seen nothing to suggest that we aren't going to be embarrassed in the Asian Cup.

I'm at the point now that I'm wracking my brain trying to think who the best unemployed coach in Australia is. Even the one guy they would never hire back just took a job in the Phillipines.

The only team that might embarrass us at the Asia Cup is Japan. There's no North Korea and the Matildas have beaten everyone else going to the Asia Cup. Our group includes Indonesia, the Philippines (coached by Staj) and Thailand. It would be monumental if we don't get out of the group.

This is why Gustavsson gets a clean run at it in Australia. Zero pressure because he scraped a fortuitous draw against the USWNT B team.

Our midfield is a laugh and our crossing is worse

I feel for Kerr she’s our only decent player maybe Carpenter at a push
Carpentar is a gun no doubt, then there's a handful of solid players.

There's too many though who either haven't continued to come on or are playing below what they have in the past.

There's too many though who either haven't continued to come on or are playing below what they have in the past.
Carpenter being pushed back into the Defensive 3/4 is reminiscent of Josh Drummond directing Boomer Harvey to a HBF late in his career (with disastrous results).

Does TG have any idea?

Stupid question but do we have anyone that can cross the ball? Surely if you have Kerr that has to be your number 1 priority picking players that can put it on her head

Carpenter being pushed back into the Defensive 3/4 is reminiscent of Josh Drummond directing Boomer Harvey to a HBF late in his career (with disastrous results).

Does TG have any idea?
Stupid question but do we have anyone that can cross the ball? Surely if you have Kerr that has to be your number 1 priority picking players that can put it on her head
Well to reply to both comments, I think Carpentar should 100% be played up as a RM, or even if we had 5 at the back, maybe even a RWB. Certainly not just a RB in a back 3 though.... Hell I even think she could play RW if we had to!

Reckon she can put the ball in where needed

Actually, what we need is more than one avenue to goal.

The cross to a header is one of the easiest passes to defend and Kerr's not that tall. Look at the goals she gets with Chelsea, very few are long cross headers. They're mostly the result of her working well with Kirby and Harder. That's what the Matildas lack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back