Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was dissapointed with crowd numbers to be honest, half my football club was there, but I was expecting a better turnout from Adelaide soccer fans... particularly female fans. I get it was a Tuesday night and a school night but it has been 13 years since the Matildas last came here.

A guy over my shoulder said he wasn't suprised with the number, there are very few female sports fanatics.

Other than getting the wins, not much to take out of these 2 games except that Harrison got some good time playing midfield and McCormick seems up to it as a defender - two areas where we definitely need more options.

Foord and Logarzo well below their best in both games. Carpenter, Catley and Kerr providing the spark.

Still think Gielnik or Raso are 2/3rds players that have attributes that cause problems to opposition defences when the game is on our terms but both have deficiencies that hold them back.

Last edited:
I don't want to have to say this but I think it would serve the Matildas better to have Raso play as a super sub with Gielnik playing from the start.

The yellow card from the ref early in the game for Logarzo probably caused her to play within herself. But I'm not entirely sure what she actually offers. I'm no fan of Harrison, but I would have her ahead of Logarzo.

Running a 4-3-3, as Milicic seems to prefer, I would suggest our best XI would be: Williams (GK); Catley, McCormick, Kennedy, Carpenter; Yallop, Kellond-Knight, Van Egmond; Foord, Kerr (C), Gielnik

Logarzo is an a-grader. She pretty much dragged us back into the match on her own back in the World Cup game against Brazil when we were 0-2 down in the first half.

Anyone interested?

The squad numbers aren't up to date. Perth Glory as an example have only got 11 players listed on their roster and a couple of those are GK's. Losing Kerr to Chelsea for the W-League season is one thing - but they also had in the past few seasons a bunch of players from the NWSL, mostly her teammates at Chicago Reds that followed her down to play with Perth Glory.

They just signed a striker up today from the Washington Spirit in the US as well as a Mexican player Romero who played for them a few years back and is expected to come - it says subject to international clearance - which is probably code for whether the Dept of Immigration think she's a suitable person to let into the country.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the league table from the last few years Chelsea finished first in 2017/18 and 3rd in 2018/19, and are top of the table after 5 games this season.

They aren't in the Women's Champions League though

I think that's her ambition, to get them back in. I read a good article a few weeks back looking at the different options. Could have gone to one of the bigger Euro clubs, like Lyon, but they were already full of strikers. This way she gets a feel for the European style with less pressure.

Some good news on the injury front. Been looking for this players name in the W-League squads and wasn't able to find it previously. Amy Sayer - one of the better juniors coming through. Was captain of the Young Matildas last year, and has played for the senior team a couple of times but has missed about a year with a foot injury. Seems she might be available to play for Sydney FC as early as this weekend.

Last edited:
Listening to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast, they said Kerr signed a 2.5 year deal with Chelsea. Guess we won't see her in the W League for a while.

Kyah Simon is someone who would still be in consideration for that 3rd option as a striker if she get over her wretched run of injury that hit in what would have been her peak years - but she's still only 28yo. (Listed as a calf test for Rd 1)

Last edited:
Shambolic defending, Victory. McCormick at fault for the second goal. Flat-footed and allowed Foord to chip in the cross to the player, Siemsen, that McCormick is meant to be marking. Not a good start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back