Matildas The Matildas Thread

Brazil are ranked 4 places ahead of us on the FIFA rankings so I don't agree that they're not that good, its just that we've beaten them the last 5 or 6 times we've played. They were pretty unlucky in the Olympics. They didn't lose a game in real time - drew with Netherlands (who made the last World Cup final) in their group and got knocked out in the Quarters on a penatly shoot out by the Gold Medallists Canada after a 0-0 draw.

I'll expect they'll start with a stronger side on Tuesday.

FIFA rankings Women's Football

Women's Ranking (fifa.com)

Brazil are in transition though. Their coach has cycled through a lot of players this year, according to Simon Hill on commentary (I can't recall the exact number but it was in excess of 30 players, from recollection). They left their two best players - Marta and Debinha - on the bench until late in the second half against the Matildas, whereas Gustavsson started what I reckon he thinks is his best XI (and I'm not knocking him for that).

It was a good win for the Matilas, but it was one that was sorely needed, and there were still signs that suggest that Gustavsson still has a lot to do if he is to deliver on the promise. Rightly or wrongly, I think that there is an expectation that the Matildas should be challenging for the World Cup in 2023, and I think there's a lot of work to be done to be even in the same conversation as the likes of USWNT, Sweden and even England (notwithstanding we beat them at the Olympics).

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Brazil are in transition though. Their coach has cycled through a lot of players this year, according to Simon Hill on commentary (I can't recall the exact number but it was in excess of 30 players, from recollection). They left their two best players - Marta and Debinha - on the bench until late in the second half against the Matildas, whereas Gustavsson started what I reckon he thinks is his best XI (and I'm not knocking him for that).

It was a good win for the Matilas, but it was one that was sorely needed, and there were still signs that suggest that Gustavsson still has a lot to do if he is to deliver on the promise. Rightly or wrongly, I think that there is an expectation that the Matildas should be challenging for the World Cup in 2023, and I think there's a lot of work to be done to be even in the same conversation as the likes of USWNT, Sweden and even England (notwithstanding we beat them at the Olympics).

I think 2023 is going to be too early. This group doesn't have the cattle to win that and the new generation hasn't fully emerged yet. It's the Olympics and the World Cup beyond that.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
The defenders (and midfielders) we have to find now have to be ready by the 2023 tournament, which is too soon to fix the current issues. One of the reasons being that the gap between W-League and international football is too large. Unless the internationals (from Australia and other countries) come back to the W-League to strengthen the teams - we're really back to it being a development league for locals.

Kennedy is 26yo and Polkinghorne 32yo - probably a good chance they'll be still part of that 2023 squad because the youngsters that we can bring in now won't have had much exposure. Don't think Kennedy is slow - but slow to respond. Reckon she could play that midfield role in front of the defenders. Polkinghorne the opposite - she's much more vigilant but there's always going to be speedy strikers that she won't be able to catch.

Most of the new defenders that have been introduced into the squad aren't central defenders. Beard, Grant, Nevin, Rankin - they play roles more like Carpenter and Catley - and Beard is the only one that is really a seasoned W-League player. Rankin looks like she will be a good player - but she didn't have a good game when she had to step-up in the W-League semi final last season.

Last edited:

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wonder if the plan is to blood some young wing-backs and have Carpenter as a permanent part of the back 3 . Apart from her instinct to go for a gallop up the ground she certainly didn't look out of place there. Anyway I expect Brazil to be stung into coming out all fired up .

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
The goalkeeping is another part of the defence that is a problem with Williams being a bit slow to play out with her feet.

Jada Whyman has been called into the squad as replacement for Teagan Micah who has picked up an injury (apparently during the pre-match warm up on Saturday).

Arnold and Whyman are both prone to goal keeping calamities, especially in the air.

Some quotes here in an article written my Joey Lynch where Gustavsson talks about the defensive issues:

Gustavsson seeking to balance fresh faces with finding consistency | JDL MEDIA

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I wonder if the plan is to blood some young wing-backs and have Carpenter as a permanent part of the back 3 . Apart from her instinct to go for a gallop up the ground she certainly didn't look out of place there. Anyway I expect Brazil to be stung into coming out all fired up .
Carpentar plays her best when she's wide and can use her best attributes of hard running up and down the wing. We lost that when she's more central.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carpentar plays her best when she's wide and can use her best attributes of hard running up and down the wing. We lost that when she's more central.
I prefer her at full back or whatever they call it now too , just thinking out aloud as to what the coach is up to with her .

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah, it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. We just need speedy centre backs - not sure where they are coming from.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Really struggling here - giving away a lot of possession for Brazil to keep mounting attacks. Hope Kyah can have an impact.

Back