Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the rules re: yellow cards offenses and playing advantage different in the women's game or is the commentator just clueless in claiming that Van Egmond shouldn't have got a yellow card?
Given what Simon Hill just said, I'm guessing its the latter. Maybe she's confused with players not being given red cards in "denial of goal scoring situations" if a penalty is given (a rule that changed 5+ years ago)?

Either way, not what you want in an "expert commentator"...

I really wish they would stop messing around in their back third, they always look fragile when Polkinghorne and Kennedy have the ball at their feet.

Happy with that, especially seeing young players blooded. Wheeler did well. Can’t start Foord next time.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Very entertaining 2 games , don’t think any of the issues have been resolved , especially turning over possession in our back third . Good to see some of the youngsters getting game time too .

Should take Foord off , clearly being gifted games IMO

Definitely wasted a lot of opportunities - 3 clear goal scoring chances - at least one got a good save out of the goalie. The early one that she miskicked was a horrible but the one that really annoyed me in the first half when Fowler put her through on the left and she had a chance running it in to either shoot or pass through to Kerr and ended up doing neither. Lost a lot of possession and racked up a few fouls too.

Did think the Brazil defender no 4 (Antonia) at right back played a very good defensive game getting Foord to run into dead ends. Supposed to be one of Foord's strengths running at the defenders with the ball and passing them - but haven't seen much of it recently- bar one of the matches in the Olympics.

Definitely wasted a lot of opportunities - 3 clear goal scoring chances - at least one got a good save out of the goalie. The early one that she miskicked was a horrible but the one that really annoyed me in the first half when Fowler put her through on the left and she had a chance running it in to either shoot or pass through to Kerr and ended up doing neither. Lost a lot of possession and racked up a few fouls too.

Did think the Brazil defender no 4 (Antonia) at right back played a very good defensive game getting Foord to run into dead ends. Supposed to be one of Foord's strengths running at the defenders with the ball and passing them - but haven't seen much of it recently- bar one of the matches in the Olympics.
When in form she would have buried first opportunity, I would have preferred Simon to start over Foord even if they are different players . Anyway was an entertaining game to watch even though we coughed up a 2 goal lead . I thought Brazil were good value for the draw and unlucky not to snatch a win in the end .

Another story about Lisa De Vanna today in SMH.

Lisa De Vanna embroiled in Football Australia intimidation row (smh.com.au)

Wouldn't think that it changes anything about seriously investigating the complaints LDV has made and how much more there is to tell.

It seems to me like there is the same handful of profiles on social media posting and claiming that they know more about things than anyone else whenever one of this type of story becomes news, and its never clear which version of events they have - but didn't take those people long to give up on the "abuse is abuse" mantra with this story and instead claim that its an orchestrated attempt to discredit LDV.

One thing about this report that bothers me is that even though it relates to a player in the W-League (Vlanjic) and NPLW , the timeline of events goes back to 2016 when Lisa De Vanna was the Matildas captain (co-captain with Polkinghorne).

LDV's manager Rose Garafano unhappy with the way this investigation of Vlanjic's complaints is quoted in an email:
“If you do not make a decision on this matter asap – I will have to seek other ways to bring to light what I can only describe as organisational incompetence and shed light on some of the unnecessary harassment Lisa has felt over the past 20 months.”

Also, Joe Montemurro was coach of Melb City at this time (2015-2017) and LDV was later publicly critical of his coaching methods on social media - particularly around the time when Montemurro was being touted as a replacement coach for the Matildas after the Stajcic sacking. De Vanna played for Melb City in 2015-16.

Also a response later in the day to this by De Vanna (Daily Telgraph story not paywalled)

Lisa De Vanna AVO: Matildas star set to take legal action, Football Australia, Tyla-Jay Vlajnic | Daily Telegraph

Last edited:
Announced earlier this morning. Two friendlies to be played against the USWNT at the end of November. First match in Sydney and the second match in Newcastle.

Going to be a real test of how far the Matildas have come under Gustavsson, although I don't expect the USWNT to be quite at full strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Victorian, I sense that my State Government does not see women's football as a high priority. I'm fairly certain that Melbourne will not host a match after the quarter-finals in the Women's World Cup in 2023. NSW Government appears to do a lot more to support women's football than Victoria's State Government.

Squad: Couple of new young 17yo players in Rule & Nash probably just there for experience in the team envoironment - Nash another defender. Also some players named that are returning from injury in Raso, Roestbakken, Micah & Geilnik - but only Raso and Roestbakken had game time on the weekend as late subs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back