Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't seem like a massive improvement against Portugal - just weaker opposition. There must have been at least a dozen times where we made critical errors that should have led to clear shots on goals and it was fitting that Portugal scored late when Nevin gave up the ball with a direct pass to the oppostion near the penalty area as she had already made few other howlers. Portugual also lost their best striker early in the 2nd half so it could have been worse but they missed good chances - especially an unmarked player who missed a header from a metre off the goal line just before the half time whistle.

Our fiirst 20 minutes we were horrible where we couldn't play up to the centre without giving the ball up. Eventually we strung some passes together to mount the ocassional attack - to the point in the 2nd half where we were probably the better team in the last 30 minutes of the match with Van Egmond and Gorry having control of the midfield. Fashioned a nice goal between Gorry, Crummer and Geilnik with Ibini finishing only to give up the lead in the 87th minute with a Portugal goal that was offside but deserved to count against us because of all the errors we made during the game.

In other news - Mary Fowler has signed a 4 year deal with Manchester City Women.

Last edited:
Didn't seem like a massive improvement against Portugal - just weaker opposition. There must have been at least a dozen times where we made critical errors that should have led to clear shots on goals and it was fitting that Portugal scored late when Nevin gave up the ball with a direct pass to the oppostion near the penalty area as she had already made few other howlers. Portugual also lost their best striker early in the 2nd half so it could have been worse but they missed good chances - especially an unmarked player who missed a header from a metre off the goal line just before the half time whistle.

Our fiirst 20 minutes we were horrible where we couldn't play up to the centre without giving the ball up. Eventually we strung some passes together to mount the ocassional attack - to the point in the 2nd half where we were probably the better team in the last 30 minutes of the match with Van Egmond and Gorry having control of the midfield. Fashioned a nice goal between Gorry, Crummer and Geilnik with Ibini finishing only to give up the lead in the 87th minute with a Portugal goal that was offside but deserved to count against us because of all the errors we made during the game.

In other news - Mary Fowler has signed a 4 year deal with Manchester City Women.

Nice to see Ibini get a goal - have wondered why she hasn't been able to translate A League form into Matildas' appearances, but maybe that just shows the gap.

Good move by Fowler. Montpellier aren't challenging the likes of PSG or Lyon anytime soon, so she'll probably get a better training and playing environment in Manchester. Probably less sure about the joys of moving from the south of France to northern England.

Carpenter has extended her contract with Lyon until 2026.

Unfortunately, with her ACL tear in the Champions League final, she'll probably miss most of next season and would be touch and go for the World Cup.

Very poor perfromance by the Young Matildas coached by Mel Andreatta losing 1-0 vs Philippines. 53rd ranked vs 12th ranked to put it into context.

Only watched a stream of the 2nd half but they had hardly any forward passing combos. Kept going backwards and slow build ups and Philippines looked to have better touch on the ball.

Goal was from a long throw-in that looked like it deflected off the back of Amy Sayer's head just inside the penalty box and looped over Whyman in goal but was credited to the Philippines player in the broadcast.

They created better chances than Australia. From memory there was only one on-target shot that their keeper parried down low and could have been hit in on the rebound that resembled a genuine scoring chance. Apart from that there was couple of corners and a late free kick where the Philippines wall was well inside the box but the free kick just cannoned into it.

Last edited:
Amy Sayer done good with 4 goals, all in the first half against Indonesia to give us our first win in the U23 AFF Championship after a draw with Thailand and a loss to Philippines.

Does look like she was subbed in 2nd half - but only going from a brief glimpse of the team on the pitch at the end. Very limited coverage of this tournament. I don't think we've sent our A team, because you would think someone like Mary Fowler would be first picked - and quite a few others.

Apparently the team picked today had some players missing through covid protocols - which may have been an accidental blessing.

Next game Sunday 6pmAEST vs Singapore

Nowhere else to put this:

Good win for England - the WSL really starting to pay off.

Was watching a feed of the game early this morning without audio and was trying to figure out who the English coach was as I'd seen her on the sidelines before coaching against the Matildas. Actually thought she was coaching the German team for a while, until I saw the German coach- but yeah, she's the former coach of Netherlands who won the last Euro Final and now has done the same with England.

From what I saw, I thought Germany played the better football and created a lot more chances but the English GK had a great game. I had to keep changing the stream provider every time the content was blocked and missed good portions of the match - saw all the goals though. Two excellent finishes and a scrambled messy penatly box goal late in the last period of extra time. Probable handball against England in their penalty box in the 1st half luckily wasn't called on video review.

BTW, I think we're getting some Under 20 Matildas Women's world Cup games being televised this week on SBS from Costa Rica.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No real surprises. Who's taking Carpenter's spot?

Probably Charlotte Grant. Nevin is there but is a left sided player. Can't see anyone else in that squad who defends there unless they experiment as they have done in the past with Vine or Raso.

I suppose they could switch one of the central defenders to play on the right.

Last edited:
Probably Charlotte Grant. Nevin is there but is a left sided player. Can't see anyone else in that squad who defends there unless they experiment as they have done in the past with Vine or Raso.

I suppose they could switch one of the central defenders to play on the right.

I can't believe we have a domestic competition that apparently isn't turning out quality defenders.

I can't believe we have a domestic competition that apparently isn't turning out quality defenders.

Seems like Gustavsson doesn't want to pick players out of the domestic competition. He doesn't watch the games live. I don't know whether that's going to change for this upcoming season.

He did throw Nash into the deep end for one of the games against USA last year where she made a mistake early in a game that let in a goal and he took her off at half time. Thought Nash had a pretty good game against Spain the other day in the Under 20's World Cup. Beard had a game against Ireland in a makeshift squad last year but I think Beard is playing somewhere in Scandanavia at the moment. Think she withdrew from a recent squad.

They did try some other defenders from the domestic competition in the recent Asian cup Under 23's, the one where we lost to the Philippines - like Matilda McNamara (Adel) and Winonah Heatley (Melb City).

I thought it was interesting in that tournament that we had Mel Andreatta coaching that younger squad but the Philippines senior coach Stajcic also coached their Under 23's.

Everyone's been saying the defence has got to be sorted out but we're going in with the same players that have leaked goals in the past - and for the short term without our star attacking defender in Carpenter.

Game is being played a few days ahead of the State election. Looks like the new Sports Minister finally got the go ahead to pay up for the game. I don't think Pakula cared very much about women's international football.

Watched most of the the Real Madrid vs Man City game this morning. Fowler played the entire game and Raso came on at half time in the 1-0 Loss. Kennedy didn't get a call up off the subs bench.

Fowler played a midfield role in front of the strikers. She put the best balls into the box that set up a few of their shots on targets as well as classy touches to teammates but maybe underused or out of the play too much.

Real Madrid the better side but Man City had a spell of dominance in the 2nd half and I thought a lot due to the difference Raso made when she came on and used her speed down the right. Still misses her mark when she gets a chance to cross into the box but got a better appreciation of the chaos she can create on the opposition defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back