Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The trouble for the Matildas is that there really isn't anyone coming through the A-League Women's that can slot into the striker role. I imagine we'll be stuck with the likes of Amy Sayer playing out of position as a striker because she happens to be tall.

Remy Siemsen used to be the next in line as a striker for the Matildas, but she's only scored one goal in 11 games for Leicester City since moving to the WSL and she's only played three games so far this season for Leicester City (not sure whether she's been injured or just not picked). Seemed to be overlooked by Gustavsson for the Olympic qualifiers.

A lot of responsibility now rests on the shoulders of Foord. I can see Gustavsson playing a formation with Foord up front, Fowler in behind as an attacking midfielder/no. 10 type player, with Vine and Raso on the flanks.

Could also see Gustavsson pick Simon again for the Olympic qualifiers and the Olympics (if Australia makes it). She's playing for Central Coast Mariners now.

I don't think Kyah Simon has played an A League game this season, or even been a sub for Central Coast.

The options are limited and Vine has also had an off/on/off run of injuries, missing the last 2 games for Sydney.

From outside the recent players picked in squads, Logarzo could be in the mix as she's building form for Western United and scored twice on the weekend, not as striker, but to play an attacking midfield role with maybe Fowler and Foord as the strikers up front in a 4-4-2. Sayer, Van Egmond and Yallop in that same kind of role. As it's only a squad of 18 for the Olympics, there's not room for all of those other 4 to make it after you pick Fowler and Foord, assuming we get past Uzbekistan.

I haven't been a fan of Crummer, but I was watching a bit of UEFA Women's Championship before Christmas and saw her scoring in a game for the team in Norway she plays for. Really, only to come under consideration for selection because she's playing in a high standard competition and because she's one of the few with the height to pose an aerial threat in the box.

24yo Sophie Harding at Western Sydney is having a break out season, equal top goalscorer so far with 8 goals.

Last edited:
The Guardian is publishing their annual top 100 women footballers. Mackenzie Arnold comes in at #77, Hayley Raso at #87 and Kyra Cooney-Cross at #89. They have only done 100-71, so I assume that players like Kerr, Foord and Catley are yet to come. Arguably, Raso is too low at #87. All three are making their first appearance in this list of top 100 women footballers.

Hoping for a good result. Going to the game on Wednesday and I don't want to be biting my fingernails hoping we can salvage the two legged tie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back