Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lacklustre 2nd half. Understandable though, it must be a tough mindset in that scenario when you just want to get back to your club uninjured.

Lacklustre 2nd half. Understandable though, it must be a tough mindset in that scenario when you just want to get back to your club uninjured.

A lot of changes too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One good thing about Heyman only playing the first half, she should be right to go for Canberra United against Western United in Friday afternoon.

Sitting on the bus on the way home after the game. So glad the bus is air conditioned. I was sitting on the third level and the temperature up there was stifling. Can't imagine how hard it would have been to play the game, especially with no breaks for hydration. Can't believe FIFA didn't allow hydration breaks during the game like they do at club level.

Good to see Australia put an inferior team to the sword especially in the first half. Getting on the scoreboard inside the first minute through an own goal would have eased the nerves and let the players play their usual game.

Heyman gives Australia a strong focal point up forward and like Kerr and Foord, she knows how to play as a striker. Sayer, not so much (given that she isn't a natural striker). Given Kerr won't play the Olympics, Heyman needs to go to Paris.

Interesting to see Fowler mainly play as a winger. She had licence to come inside to a central location but she seemed to start most moves on the left wing.

Thought Torpey more than held her own as Raso's replacement. Raso needs to get regular game time at Real Madrid because she finally has a competitor for her spot in the national team for the first time since she saw off Gielnik.

Credit to Arnold for keeping her concentration and snuffing out the lone Uzbek strike on goal. Easy to let a cheapie through because you're basically bored.

Not sure what Gustavsson hoped to achieve by playing Yallop and Van Egmond in the second half. Should have played Logarzo and Wheeler. Van Egmond and Yallop are known quantities and shouldn't be on board the plane to Paris but we need to learn whether Logarzo can carry her strong club form to the national level and Wheeler needs to gain experience at the national level.

Last edited:
I thought that there was one hydration break around 19 minutes (seemed on the TV coverage most players on both sides came down to sidelines en masse)

such a huge difference having Heyman as a focal point who seems to have a much stronger goal sense and make things happen.

I thought that there was one hydration break around 19 minutes (seemed on the TV coverage most players on both sides came down to sidelines en masse)

such a huge difference having Heyman as a focal point who seems to have a much stronger goal sense and make things happen.

Every time an Uzbek Player stayed down, the girls got a drink

Sitting on the bus on the way home after the game. So glad the bus is air conditioned. I was sitting on the third level and the temperature up there was stifling. Can't imagine how hard it would have been to play the game, especially with no breaks for hydration. Can't believe FIFA didn't allow hydration breaks during the game like they do at club level.

Good to see Australia put an inferior team to the sword especially in the first half. Getting on the scoreboard inside the first minute through an own goal would have eased the nerves and let the players play their usual game.

Heyman gives Australia a strong focal point up forward and like Kerr and Foord, she knows how to play as a striker. Sayer, not so much (given that she isn't a natural striker). Given Kerr won't play the Olympics, Heyman needs to go to Paris.

Interesting to see Fowler mainly play as a winger. She had licence to come inside to a central location but she seemed to start most moves on the left wing.

Thought Torpey more than held her own as Raso's replacement. Raso needs to get regular game time at Real Madrid because she finally has a competitor for her spot in the national time for the first time since she saw off Gielnik.

Credit to Arnold for keeping her concentration and snuffing out the line Uzbek strike on goal. Easy to let a cheapie through because you're basically bored.

Not sure what Gustavsson hoped to achieve by playing Yallop and Van Egmond in the second half. Should have played Logarzo and Wheeler. Van Egmond and Yallop are known quantities and shouldn't be on board the plane to Paris but we need to learn whether Logarzo can carry her strong club form to the national level and Wheeler needs to gain experience at the national level.

Pretty much an ideal result. Belting first half with starting line-up and then mass changes afterwards. Interesting to see Torpey get the nod over Raso. I like Raso's pace but a couple of the cut-backs Torpey delivered from long crosses, taking the ball in mid-air, I couldn't see Raso doing.

Heyman makes such a difference albeit against weak opposition. Her height makes her play more like Ada Hegerberg than Kerr. As much as as her goal sneaking was good, it was her laying off the ball for the first goal to Torpey that shows the difference between makeshift solutions of Fowler and Van Egmond. Liked Fowler out on the left, though she was given way too much time and space by the opposition.

Agree that it would have been good to see Wheeler get some time - basically, she's flown from the UK to Dubai to Uzbekistan to Australia and now going back without any minutes. I really don't see the point of that kind of player management. Would have given KCC a rest from early in second half or just not play Van Egmond. Actually, the latter would be my preferred option.

Liked seeing Sayer work into the game and finally be rewarded. She started by trying to run striker lines and then drifted out to be more of a provider, before being in the right place at the right time and finally putting it away.

Does Docklands have air conditioning?

Finally for Amy Sayer!!!

Has the turning circle of an ocean liner and so slow, it was really noticeable when the ball came near her.

We were sitting about 30m from the flame throwers, I thought they were cold water fountains with a reservoir in the bottom part. We were already cooking, when they came on we almost melted.

I went to take my daughter. I was interested to see the difference in crowd noise between a big footy match with lots of loud adult males and this match with predominantly younger females.

It was an awesome atmosphere and probably louder than any footy game I've been to. When the first one went in under a minute, I was shocked by the volume. I guess one big difference is having 100% support for one team.

My daughter who has become soccer obsessed had the night of her life, she even said it was better than the Harry Styles concert there.

Last edited:
Sam Kerr has pleaded not guilty to a charge over allegedly racially aggravated harassment of a police officer in the UK. She's reportedly set to go to trial in February 2025.

According to an interview given by Tony Gustavsson earlier today, even though Kerr was arrested in January and issued a summons, the first time he and Football Australia heard about the issue was when the news reports came out this morning.

Interestingly, Gustavsson noted that he had already appointed Ellie Carpenter and Emily van Egmond as deputies to Steph Catley, who is acting captain while Kerr is recovering from a torn ACL, though he stressed he made this decision long before the news of Kerr's arrest and forthcoming trial emerged.

Could get up to 6 months jail. Wonder if she was pissed?
You would think so, not that will be a sufficient excuse.
I wonder if it was to a male or female officer?
I guess an apology isn't considered good enough
if it is going to the expense of a trial.
You would think her solicitor tried to offer a different solution to this situation.

Supposedly happened when she was trying to catch a cab in Twickenham after she'd scored a hat trick for Chelsea in January 2023. Allegedly relates to an incident where a police officer was who responding to a complaint involving a taxi fair was racially aggravated harassed by Kerr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back