Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

He takes soft as marks from the back of a pack or gets a heap of frees. He has a fairly nice set shot but put him in the middle or front of a pack and he absolutely shits himself - ducks his head and his arms are far too soft and his hands way too hard... he always gets spoiled or just packs it when the ball is coming in and he hears footsteps. It’s bizarre for someone so big.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
lol

He takes soft as marks from the back of a pack or gets a heap of frees. He has a fairly nice set shot but put him in the middle or front of a pack and he absolutely shits himself - ducks his head and his arms are far too soft and his hands way too hard... he always gets spoiled or just packs it when the ball is coming in and he hears footsteps. It’s bizarre for someone so big.

Goals on weekend from memory were:
On run from boundary on left fwd pocket (hard)
Snap from hard ball get around 30-40m from goal
Big mark inside about 20m
Can't remember the fourth.

None from frees or soft back of pack marks I don't recall! He did spill a few marks on the lead though which he does need to improve.

So they’re all uncontested and not pack marks?

And his ‘big mark’ was him waiting at the back so he didn’t get hurt.

Port had him sussed - get him to the boundary so he had to lead and mark in front, and he’d always drop it.

So they’re all uncontested and not pack marks?

And his ‘big mark’ was him waiting at the back so he didn’t get hurt.

Port had him sussed - get him to the boundary so he had to lead and mark in front, and he’d always drop it.

He had 2 contested marks out of 4 on Saturday, 2 out of 9 on Port (when he playing more up-ground with Port controlling the game + Kersten in forward line). He took 9 marks which was equal most with Westhoff, so not sure he 'always dropped it' against Port.

His first mark was sprinting to the pack and took a juggling grab whilst fending off his defender. He got crunched other way trying to take a mark against the fought of the ball.
Yeah he can improve his uncontested marking, but it's a lot better then what it was a few seasons ago that's for sure

Taberner free kicks 2018: Zero for / 4 against.
Taberner free kicks (career): 31 for / 70 against.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2017&rt=LA&st=CM

images

Last edited:
Haters are going to hate.

The fact that Tabs is showing that he can compete in the ruck is a huge bonus.He enables us to play an extra runner now!

Well done Tabs!

Yeah, this is so important.

His work up the ground has been a bit hit and miss up until this year, but if he can put himself in the right spots, he's actually a fairly skilled player for his size. He'll still get beaten in the ruck contest by most rucks, but a decade of Sandi dominance in that area tells us that isn't vital to wins anyway. As long as he competes hard enough to give us a genuine chance to control the clearance and then puts himself in the right places around the field, he's really valuable for us - he's been doing that so good on him.

Silent Alarm is entitled to his opinion, if we threaten with the whole group think thang, it makes this place less diverse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand the player hate tbh - if he was older and hadn't shown improvement then put a line through him eg Danyle or even Sheridan (given number of games played).

Tabs has both improved his size and conditioning and his play each year. Surely no one can argue that?! He may not have started from as high a base line as others but he is getting results. Forwards (except the absolute top echelon) rarely play well or dominate in teams that are getting smashed or whose mids are being beaten as the supply isn't there.

Tabs has improved each year. I expect a 30 plus goal season from him this year. Next 40 plus. If he becomes a regular 40 + goal a year forward he will be a strong addition and valuable to the team.

I don't understand the player hate tbh - if he was older and hadn't shown improvement then put a line through him eg Danyle or even Sheridan (given number of games played).

Tabs has both improved his size and conditioning and his play each year. Surely no one can argue that?! He may not have started from as high a base line as others but he is getting results. Forwards (except the absolute top echelon) rarely play well or dominate in teams that are getting smashed or whose mids are being beaten as the supply isn't there.

Tabs has improved each year. I expect a 30 plus goal season from him this year. Next 40 plus. If he becomes a regular 40 + goal a year forward he will be a strong addition and valuable to the team.

Agree, and he is still a bit a way but you have to believe he will get there.

He has impressed me this year and if he could just take 1 or 2 more marks that he should take, then we would have a 50 goal a year forward.

I would offer him a couple year contract immediately.

It's a pretty straightforward case of being unable to walk it back after going too hard too early.

Silent Alarm wrote Taberner off years ago after he dropped a mark or something, and now can't ever admit that he was wrong.

Given we support Freo you would think it would be a pleasure to walk back the judgement and admit he had improved and was now adding value. That would speak a lot for the club, coaching and development. All of which are positives long term for FFC.

Huh?!.....
Zero, nada, cero, nulla, nula free kicks for the year so far.....And, 0.6 FF per game for his career so far.
Where are these "Heaps" of frees of which you speak??
In two games.

Huge sample size man, especially in the first where he went missing (as he does 3/4 games at age 25).

What frustrates me about him is the simple marks he drops inside 50. This IMO is what lets him down. There were another 2 on Saturday. Richo commented during the game - he could have finished with 6 or 7.

Agree, and he is still a bit a way but you have to believe he will get there.

He has impressed me this year and if he could just take 1 or 2 more marks that he should take, then we would have a 50 goal a year forward.

I would offer him a couple year contract immediately.
Well he was out of contract last year. He singed for another 2 years until 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back