Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mitigating circumstances aside for a second, I rewatched the 3rd quarter today and the only thing that seemed to go wrong was Tab's field kicking. 3 or 4 times bombed it long to an interceptor, a couple of times he had a handpass option. He's got better in that he was trying to move it quickly instead of going back and waiting to find an option. The big man needs to play within his limitations, he's a good set shot but his field kicking is not up to it.

Looking forward to next year and watching the 3 talls chemistry grow

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Tabs decision making will improve as well I'd say.
His return hasn't been as emphatic as his beginning to the season but he'll know what we know in that he's got a more aggressive and effective level to return to.
If he could return to the bull marking and body work of his first rounds and add McCarthy like delivery into the 50 it would make us a 40 goal better side.
No reason his body work and marking won't come back quickly with fitness and confidence in the foot.
The decision making and kicking may take a little longer but him Cox and Sunshine could be decent.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I’d like to see Tabs, Hogan, Lobb and mccarthy in the same Fwd line. Yes seriously. Reckon Hogan and McCarthy are mobile enough with the help of SonSon and a Switta, Giro, Schultz combo. Ballas and Banfield were disappointing for me so can make way.
Me too. Two talls that take the contested mark. Hogan and McCarthy play to their strengths by leading up and getting those low kicks. It’ll work. Schulz/Walters and a Matera will be enough.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
Tabs was good again on the weekend, his work rate is amazing. He is having an impact being the marking conduit from the back line to the forward line like Hogan used to do brilliantly at Melbourne. Hogan could become something else completely, he is the right height for a Mundy/Fyfe midfielder role. Happy days.

Deveraux

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should be in the 2nds once Hogan is right
Honestly can't agree with this.

However, I also don't know what the answer is because Hogan needs to come in (if fit) and McCarthy is definitely staying.

I honestly don't think there is anyone better than Tabs in our side who can run his opponent into the ground while taking contested marks up the wing, it is such a pressure valve for us, he was epic on Sunday. I mean yes, Hogan and Lobb can do that role - but not like Tabs can. Also definitely not saying Tabs is better than them but they are different players.

It would send a terrible message to the group if he was dropped for Hogan for Round 2, it won't happen.

I would be willing to trial bringing Hogan in for Ballas but it is risky. If it's to be done, against GC on Sunday would be a better idea than say.. Round 4.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Honestly can't agree with this.

However, I also don't know what the answer is because Hogan needs to come in (if fit) and McCarthy is definitely staying.

I honestly don't think there is anyone better than Tabs in our side who can run his opponent into the ground while taking contested marks up the wing, it is such a pressure valve for us, he was epic on Sunday. I mean yes, Hogan and Lobb can do that role - but not like Tabs can. Also definitely not saying Tabs is better than them but they are different players.

It would send a terrible message to the group if he was dropped for Hogan for Round 2, it won't happen.

I would be willing to trial bringing Hogan in for Ballas but it is risky. If it's to be done, against GC on Sunday would be a better idea than say.. Round 4.
Hogan doesn’t have the leads, or endurance to keep going for the leads down the wings at this stage. It’s a lot to put on him, especially coming off his injury. Tabs will be great to allow Hogan to come in, get used to AFL again without having to carry the HF line.
Tabs allowed McCarthy to roam and do his third forward role. Make a heap of sense if they bring in Hogan too for that matter and let him dominate the second/third best defender one on one.

For me, Ballas had little impact on Sunday anyway. Sure one goal but it’s the team structure that his pressure isn’t going to affect the opposition. Hogan will do a better job with the forward line we have. Schultz/Walters/Banfield will be alright with that role.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With all these tall forward names being bandied around in the same forward line where does Cox fall into the equation.

Bearing in mind if you say (the backline) they're pretty settled, and then you have people like Logue, Blakely & SHilly to come into there at some stage. :think:

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
With all these tall forward names being bandied around in the same forward line where does Cox fall into the equation.

Bearing in mind if you say (the backline) they're pretty settled, and then you have people like Logue, Blakely & SHilly to come into there at some stage. :think:
Backline, no room in the forward line and his set shots are garbage anyway.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Would you trade Tabs for Tim Kelly?

No brainer I reckon
Nah wouldn’t give them close to that. Geelong can take a 4th rounder or GAGF. Kelly didn’t want to come this year but now considering next year? He clearly favours West Coast. Probably realized he doesn’t have much choice now. Insulting really

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah wouldn’t give them close to that. Geelong can take a 4th rounder or GAGF. Kelly didn’t want to come this year but now considering next year? He clearly favours West Coast. Probably realized he doesn’t have much choice now. Insulting really

No way T. Kelly goes for a 4th rounder. WC were willing to offer multiple 2nd round picks and Geelong wanted a pick around 8-12. He was under contract though. It will still be a first round pick but likely they accept a later pick. I reckon WC’s first will do it (prob around 15-18). Our 1st pick will likely be better but we need to use it on the draft. Put all our resources into Coniglio who sadly I think will stay at GCS.

Matt Taberner for T. Kelly is a reasonable suggestion. Would do that but equally happy not to do that. With Cox and Dixon coming on we have a bigger need to strengthen our midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I'm not a big Kelly fan but you are fantastically biased in you player rating here.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm not a big Kelly fan but you are fantastically biased in you player rating here.
No, not on his rating per se. Just how the manager and player played the trade period was unprofessional and arrogant. Have to remember he just played one season of AFL. Family comes first, you would take any option that comes to give the best to them. Not in a position for demands in your first full season. And home sick too.
But in the end he and/or the manager only wanted West Coast, who I think were reasonable anyway with their trade offers. Then Geelong played that badly and loss out. Kelly probably wished he had that time again and allowed both WA teams to talk.

Who knows, Kelly has a great first round he ll get his stocks up again and demand higher picks. But his manager needs to go IMO. Poorly handled

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Then Geelong played that badly and loss out.
Not sure they lost out. He was probably the difference between 4 points and nothing on the weekend against last year's GFists. It's in his and Geelong's interests to play West Coast off against Fremantle for his services (assuming he doesn't stay). They'll still get good compo for him this year if he comes home.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
He's gonna cost a WA team big time at the end of the year with a larger sample size to barter with now. Regardless of whether he's out of contract.
Exactly. We ll have to give up picks as well as player, now that Geelong has regained the upper hand. Do we back our development in Cerra, Brayshaw, Tucker in the middle or bring Kelly in. At the expense of picks though.

As much as I love Kelly and want him here, if we are seeing continual improvement in our young guys over the course of the season, then I would just leave him alone.

Back