Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
He went through the same thing in the WAFL before becoming one of the best set shots. His afl form has pretty much mirrored his WAFL form but 3 years later. This guy is going to cost a fortune to retain in 2 years time.
It’s almost as better, albeit no goals. He’s carried over his WAFL form but against top quality defenders, which is impressive. He did kick 5 goals straight in one game, then 11 straight over three games. Couldnt miss.
Maybe the Burley/Sherrin difference? Pointer ball. Who knows.

MadMundy

Team Captain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Best on ground yesterday in my opinion, sure he missed a few shots but apart from that he was clunking marks left right and centre. probably the best one on our team. He will be so damn dangerous soon, he already is.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Usually Kennedy is pretty good in the rain, but Tabs used to be particularly useless. Anyway, now’s probably not the time.
Just hope when the time comes we’re not too tall and heavy. But the mix is probably about right. Tabs/Lobb as the tallest. Once we add Darcy, it’s a case of the conditions. Don’t want to make that mistake

Sweetback

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just hope when the time comes we’re not too tall and heavy. But the mix is probably about right. Tabs/Lobb as the tallest. Once we add Darcy, it’s a case of the conditions. Don’t want to make that mistake
We’ve got enough of a mix of forwards now that any deficiencies from the talls aren’t exacerbated by a lack of smalls in wet weather. The way things are going it probs wont rain much this winter anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoMonocle

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’ve got enough of a mix of forwards now that any deficiencies from the talls aren’t exacerbated by a lack of smalls in wet weather. The way things are going it probs wont rain much this winter anyway.
We could have had all our talls being useless at ground level, but Cam and Hogan are good for it, so I'm not so worried about being too tall as a consequence.

Sweetback

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
We could have had all our talls being useless at ground level, but Cam and Hogan are good for it, so I'm not so worried about being too tall as a consequence.
Yes, my only question mark for wet weather footy is Tabs, hence bringing it up in this thread, but as you say, Cam and Hoges and I think even Lobb play fine under precipitation, but thankfully we now have all these other options to offset him.

yoong

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ll have to say, it’s quite a pleasure watching Taberner grow as a player.
I remembered reading a article where Tabs is preparing for AFL by training an running a half marathon. Turned out, that wasn’t sufficient and he’s always sub out of the few matches he played when he ran out of steam.
His first couple of years is quite a comedy (wasn’t that funny back then), he’ll take one amazing contested pack mark and kick a goal, then proceed to drop and fumble all the other simple uncontested marks and turn it over.
It’s nice to see he’ve fixed that (mostly, but seems he still have his brain fades now and then).
It’s not difficult to see he works hard to improve himself. Every year, he gets picked for games and is visibly a little stronger, a little fitter, takes a few more marks than the previous year. Last year was supposed to be his breakout year, then got hit with the foot injury. It’s great to see he is finally putting his stamp and is proving to be an important part of our team.

Minz

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
Great marking performance, but looked like he was leaning back a little on his set shots, rather than kicking through them. Should be an easy fix, and hopefully the club will have him practising like crazy!

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Great marking performance, but looked like he was leaning back a little on his set shots, rather than kicking through them. Should be an easy fix, and hopefully the club will have him practising like crazy!
Get Pav back. He kicked something ridiculous like 27 straight didn’t he? Perfect example. Just a few tips and mental things and he ll be kicking bags.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Get Pav back. He kicked something ridiculous like 27 straight didn’t he? Perfect example. Just a few tips and mental things and he ll be kicking bags.
To be perfectly honest, if I wanted someone to kick a goal for my life, it wouldn't be Pav.

He was the straighest kick around, but his radar was always a bit iffy.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Like a lot of forwards with the yips, Tabs can kick the difficult set shots (non-preferred banana on Saturday) but struggles with the ones he feels he should kick.

Nothing wrong with the mechanics, he just needs to get his head right.

Deveraux

All Australian
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like a lot of forwards with the yips, Tabs can kick the difficult set shots (non-preferred banana on Saturday) but struggles with the ones he feels he should kick.

Nothing wrong with the mechanics, he just needs to get his head right.
100% .

There's one incredibly important skill that arches across so many variations of professionalism. It sounds like a boring old adage and comes in a few variation but it's essentially not letting past results impact current ones mentally. Take each shot on it's merits etc. Golf a good example.

If you have 10 bad shots in a row your next one is thought of and executed the same as if you have had 10 good shots in a row.

It's soo hard to master if it's not natural to you. I know people who are rediculously elite at predicting market movements in stock and currencies but are paid to analyse because they're unable to master this skill and they defeat themselves with their own accounts. On the other side people who know little more than the basics make a killing because they can do it.

Anyway.. rant over.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Taberner’s issue isn’t really technique or ability, it’s mental. He doesn’t need Riewoldt over and he had about five years to learn everything from Pavlich.

He needs someone to tell him a few home truths and to also nurture him.

He’s a big boy. He’s a good kick. He just shits himself. It’s why he can only take marks from behind or the side - footsteps spook him, getting hurt is his worst fear even though with impact he’d be the one doling it out. The set shots are the same thing.

He’s probably a really nice guy. He’s just too nice as a footballer.

The fact he never changes his expression shows a bit of that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top Bottom