Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sherrif

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Taberner’s issue isn’t really technique or ability, it’s mental. He doesn’t need Riewoldt over and he had about five years to learn everything from Pavlich.

He needs someone to tell him a few home truths and to also nurture him.

He’s a big boy. He’s a good kick. He just shits himself. It’s why he can only take marks from behind or the side - footsteps spook him, getting hurt is his worst fear even though with impact he’d be the one doling it out. The set shots are the same thing.

He’s probably a really nice guy. He’s just too nice as a footballer.

The fact he never changes his expression shows a bit of that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He doesnt ever take marks from the side. Took at least four pack marks against GWS in one game. None from the side. Third in contested marks in the afl he's one of the best at taking marks with a player near him so far this year. This year he's thriving when there's player contact in marking situations.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Olympique Lyonnais
Rarely seen a player that looks so close yet so far of being an elite KPF, yes he is structurally important and is an awsome contested mark but i can't stop feeling that there is clearly something missing that will stop him from ever being a great player. He is more than servicable nonetheless but to put it simply, built like a Ferrari, plays like a Fiat.

Just my opinion, i know that's worth f**kall and a lot of people would disagree but i am sticking to it.

Last edited:

bushchook

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's not really a coward on the field like your Darling types, his main weakness is he just doesn't really have a given natural footy brain despite having most of the physical tools out there.
He has to has some kind of a natural brain to get into so many marking positions. If he took all the ones he should he'd be taking about 15 marks per game. That's something you can't really learn and he's always had that even before the other stuff clicked.

Really his issue is just self-doubt. He probably doesn't think he belongs there and you can't blame him for thinking that given how his career has gone previous to this year. The more pressure the situation the more likely he is to miss. That's just a classic case of the yips, the only real cure is to jag a few sausage rolls and let the pressure melt away.

There's nothing wrong with his kicking action and historically he's been a pretty good kick for goal. It's a dead giveaway when he's kicking bananas from the boundary line but missing from straight in front that it's the yips, which almost all key forwards go through at some stage in their career.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he knocks his average goals up to 3 per game and continues to sit at 18.2 possessions and 8.6 marks then his stats are comparable to Riewoldt and Carey at the same age (Disclaimer - not comparing players or his playing style - just stats)(Carey 19.4 D, 8 M, 3.3 G, Reiwoldt 17.2 D, 9.2 M, 3.3 G) The question is can he remain consistent over this year and then improve again?

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Taberner’s issue isn’t really technique or ability, it’s mental. He doesn’t need Riewoldt over and he had about five years to learn everything from Pavlich.

He needs someone to tell him a few home truths and to also nurture him.

He’s a big boy. He’s a good kick. He just shits himself. It’s why he can only take marks from behind or the side - footsteps spook him, getting hurt is his worst fear even though with impact he’d be the one doling it out. The set shots are the same thing.

He’s probably a really nice guy. He’s just too nice as a footballer.

The fact he never changes his expression shows a bit of that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The fact he can take a contested grab is huge. But you’re right, he needs a bit much of that aggro or bully mentality. Rough up his opponent. He can do it, but seems like he holds himself back. Against West Coast, he failed to really bully Barrass and knock him around. He did a fair bit against GWS though.

It’s 100% mental. The fact that he was often the first dropped after a poor game from the team probably contributes to that ‘fear’. It was only in 2017 where he had to play 2 months at Peel before even getting a chance at AFL level. He went on to really exert his dominance in the WAFL finals that year. But now he’s slowly, albeit VERY slowly realizes he belongs in the league.

Tabs never have had this many chances in front of goals, that’s probably so overwhelming haha. Nah he just needs to practice and get a routine. Lots of great forwards had yips, let alone the standard forwards.

DaveLister

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs has been the most dominant tall of the past 2 weeks, against good sides in West Coast and GWS
42 touches, 35 kicks
21 marks, 7 contested 11 inside 50
14 shots on goal and if he was kicking them at his career average he'd 9 or 10 instead of 5

This week he comes up against the dogs and he should be eyeing up a bag, their defense is putrid.
If we are to play finals we need to dominate at home to keep the percentage high, Taberner owning a favorable match up this Saturday at home in Mundy's 300 and the len hall is important to that.

Nolo180

All Australian
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like others have said if he takes more of his oppurtunities to covert and gets his confidence up all the opposition tall defenders in the game are gonna crap there pants when the balls coming in and infringe. Phil Davis is as good as anyone going around.
If the media catch's on and they change their perception of him he could even become a protected species like Kennedy, Lloyd or Reiwoldt and get even more pings on goal....Its a nice thought.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nice photo, he's being held, punched in the head, and taking the mark.

Held and hit.jpg

Tabs has been the most dominant tall of the past 2 weeks, against good sides in West Coast and GWS
42 touches, 35 kicks
21 marks, 7 contested 11 inside 50
14 shots on goal and if he was kicking them at his career average he'd 9 or 10 instead of 5

This week he comes up against the dogs and he should be eyeing up a bag, their defense is putrid.
If we are to play finals we need to dominate at home to keep the percentage high, Taberner owning a favorable match up this Saturday at home in Mundy's 300 and the len hall is important to that.
Last year against the dogs he was on track for 30 disposals (20 contested), 25 marks (15 contested), 5 goals, and 10 hitouts before he got injured

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Rarely seen a player that looks so close yet so far of being an elite KPF, yes he is structurally important and is an awsome contested mark but i can't stop feeling that there is clearly something missing that will stop him from ever being a great player. He is more than servicable nonetheless but to put it simply, built like a Ferrari, plays like a Fiat.

Just my opinion, i know that's worth f**kall and a lot of people would disagree but i am sticking to it.
IMO your missing the most important part and that's the fact that he makes a defense put time into him which frees up our elite KPF in Hogan and that's all we need from Tabs. Very few teams have two elite KPD that can stop Hogan and Tabs, then throw Lobb and McCarthy/Cox at them as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

rgauci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
The fact he can take a contested grab is huge. But you’re right, he needs a bit much of that aggro or bully mentality. Rough up his opponent. He can do it, but seems like he holds himself back. Against West Coast, he failed to really bully Barrass and knock him around. He did a fair bit against GWS though.

It’s 100% mental. The fact that he was often the first dropped after a poor game from the team probably contributes to that ‘fear’. It was only in 2017 where he had to play 2 months at Peel before even getting a chance at AFL level. He went on to really exert his dominance in the WAFL finals that year. But now he’s slowly, albeit VERY slowly realizes he belongs in the league.

Tabs never have had this many chances in front of goals, that’s probably so overwhelming haha. Nah he just needs to practice and get a routine. Lots of great forwards had yips, let alone the standard forwards.
He broke Phil Davis’ nose in a marking contest.

Frigate

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is the funniest thread in our history. We wanted to recruit Cloke at all costs when he was reaching\at his peak. Cloke rejected us and proved he had lost all his powers. The funny part is that Cloke was a shite kick at times. He had some horrendous misses, but his marking ability helped Collingwood win that flag. Then we offered our future to recruit him. We offered the biggest contract in history or close to, and he still said no - this NO saved us. I think we would be worse than Carlton had of that deal gone through.

So now, here we are the other side of a Cloke like player. He has come through our system, he is a beast and a marking machine and has proven this, when fit for two years. AND FANS WANT HIM GONE? Good idea, lets get one of the best contesting marking forwards in the game out of our club because he has goal shooting yips. Craziness!!!!

The best option is....keep Taberner at all costs. He is our best player at the moment IMO. He was a star in the opening 4 rounds last year (with Fyfe) - and we were winning - then he go injured and we started losing.
I am honestly not sure if this is one of those hipster joke things when people try to be cool by bagging a player out, maybe I am old and I see footy through different lenses to these young quarter back punks - that are dumb and full of cum.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
IMO your missing the most important part and that's the fact that he makes a defense put time into him which frees up our elite KPF in Hogan and that's all we need from Tabs. Very few teams have two elite KPD that can stop Hogan and Tabs, then throw Lobb and McCarthy/Cox at them as well.
Hogan & Mccarthy will both benefit greatly with Tabs improving.Hogan & McCarthy have instinctive forward smarts of knowing when to lead and where to lead,just got to hope that the ball carriers lower their eyes.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
This is the funniest thread in our history. We wanted to recruit Cloke at all costs when he was reaching\at his peak. Cloke rejected us and proved he had lost all his powers. The funny part is that Cloke was a shite kick at times. He had some horrendous misses, but his marking ability helped Collingwood win that flag. Then we offered our future to recruit him. We offered the biggest contract in history or close to, and he still said no - this NO saved us. I think we would be worse than Carlton had of that deal gone through.

So now, here we are the other side of a Cloke like player. He has come through our system, he is a beast and a marking machine and has proven this, when fit for two years. AND FANS WANT HIM GONE? Good idea, lets get one of the best contesting marking forwards in the game out of our club because he has goal shooting yips. Craziness!!!!

The best option is....keep Taberner at all costs. He is our best player at the moment IMO. He was a star in the opening 4 rounds last year (with Fyfe) - and we were winning - then he go injured and we started losing.
I am honestly not sure if this is one of those hipster joke things when people try to be cool by bagging a player out, maybe I am old and I see footy through different lenses to these young quarter back punks - that are dumb and full of cum.
It was hard during 2016-2018. People wanted him gone. For what? To make Kersten our number 1 forward. Look how he turned out? Too short for a tall, too arrogant to think he’s better then he is. Geelong had injuries and still didn’t play him. Suggested a lot.

Tabs always has a great work ethic. So many times he should’ve throw in towel but to his credit worked harder then probably anyone at the club. He’s the one that took it on himself to start pre season the Monday after the GF.
Ross loves challenging these players- Clancee Pearce, Ryan Crowley, best of all Michael Walters. He’s a great man manger. Do the hard work, earn your way in. Rookie list to number 1 KPF. That’s the hard yards.
He kicked that 5 goals way back in 2016. You knew that he had the potential. Needed the consistency.

Nice little piece by Mark Readings in The West today. He knows what Tabs went through and capable of now. Great read - https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...-matt-taberner-stop-teasing-us-ng-b881179410z

AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon Tabs is the kind of story that makes sport inspiring.

A rookie pick who has worked hard and persevered. He's now starting to make people believe in him - now he just needs to believe in himself.

I'd take a bloke that gets the best out himself over a bloke with talent but less application any day.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
14 disposals. 9 kicks and 5 hand balls. 1 goal and 1 behind.

Struggled in the 1st half. Really stood up In the 2nd half though.

I remember he took a mark I think it was late in the 3rd quarter. He then kicked a beautiful pass to Hogan. Hogan had the set shot and hit the Bloody post!

That was a beautiful kick by tabs though.

One_Wing

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
14 disposals. 9 kicks and 5 hand balls. 1 goal and 1 behind.

Struggled in the 1st half. Really stood up In the 2nd half though.

I remember he took a mark I think it was late in the 3rd quarter. He then kicked a beautiful pass to Hogan. Hogan had the set shot and hit the Bloody post!

That was a beautiful kick by tabs though.
Hogan was missing to make Tabs feel better about last week.

raffrox

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He was getting noticeably frustrated with the service he was getting tonight. Still a solid game and it shows how far he's come that tonight was a pretty average game for him tonight.

Top Bottom