Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
The delivery, especially in the first half, was garbage. Kicks missed by metres, kicks got intercepted. Hogan and Tabs really had to battle hard tonight.
Tabs still managed 7 marks. Still good enough. Didn’t stop. Especially last quarter. He set up two goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tough tough day out for a forward of either teams.
6 marks. Great grab then to kick the leveller. Could’ve got a second. But he was ran ragged all game. Tried in ruck then had to play against Talia.
Had no help from McCarthy. Hogan really likes Tabs around, seems to mark a bit gets free. Shame he couldn’t convert his chances

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Tough tough day out for a forward of either teams.
6 marks. Great grab then to kick the leveller. Could’ve got a second. But he was ran ragged all game. Tried in ruck then had to play against Talia.
Had no help from McCarthy. Hogan really likes Tabs around, seems to mark a bit gets free. Shame he couldn’t convert his chances
im curious how he fares against Richmond without Rance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Talia was hanging on and scragging our forwards, can’t imagine the umpires would adjudicate on that yesterday though.
Wasn’t going to happen with their directive yesterday. Anything and everything was let go.
Tabs pretty the only one consistently getting goals. Still gets involved. Can’t say the same with McCarthy. Truly awful

AFL Club
Fremantle
Not SuperTabs but still a serviceable game.

If you can have a look at the passage of play in the last quarter where Tabs flies for a mark with Talia's arm over his shoulder - dead set free kick in any era. If Nyhuis had done that to Eddy a free kick would have been awarded in a nanosecond.

Sadly Tabs isn't recognised as a contested making beast and is therefore not afforded protected species status. Hopefully that will come as we move up the ladder.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not SuperTabs but still a serviceable game.

If you can have a look at the passage of play in the last quarter where Tabs flies for a mark with Talia's arm over his shoulder - dead set free kick in any era. If Nyhuis had done that to Eddy a free kick would have been awarded in a nanosecond.

Sadly Tabs isn't recognised as a contested making beast and is therefore not afforded protected species status. Hopefully that will come as we move up the ladder.
Josh Kennedy gets those every week. It’s a reputation thing. Betts clearly protected species

MadMundy

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Yesterday all our forwards were **** so I wouldn't be too worried. We do need to work on multiple people not going up for the same mark and spoiling each other though and space our players out.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Still not convinced, need to see him string a consistent number of games together not one every five or six.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
12 goals from 7 games this year. Not exactly the best, not the worst either. Matera has kicked 12 goals from 4 games prior to the crows game.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Problem is Richmond will probably set up like Bulldogs did. Choke our forwards of space.
Maybe so. But freo have the fire power up front to hurt them. We need to be clean and efficient just like our big wins over North and GWS.

Cesoir

Team Captain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe so. But freo have the fire power up front to hurt them. We need to be clean and efficient just like our big wins over North and GWS.
Exactly - teams are going to do that to us, we have to get better and learn how to counter that tactic. They will review the game from the weekend and see what went wrong, then work out how to be better. I think we are in a stable team / learning phase now.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Exactly - teams are going to do that to us, we have to get better and learn how to counter that tactic. They will review the game from the weekend and see what went wrong, then work out how to be better. I think we are in a stable team / learning phase now.
I got expectations now. I somehow expect freo to beat Richmond this week

AFL Club
Fremantle
I've always been a fan of Tabs in the ruck for short stints as it gets him around the ball and as a confidence player I don't mind him picking up a few cheap possessions. Seemed to me that he did a bit more ruck work than usual against Adelaide though and the more time he spends in there the more it takes away from his strengths. Makes it harder for him to really run his opponent into the ground and with his confidence growing I don't think he needs the time in there as badly now as say 2 seasons ago. We also look a target short when he goes in there (Hogan competes hard and rarely gets outmarked, but doesn't really look threatening in the air either as of yet) and at ground level our forward line looks a little hit & miss atm.

Would love to see him spend more time forward (varying between that high Centre Half-Forward and full forward). Him and Hoges could really blow some guys up. Whether that means Lobb has to be the 2nd ruck or we find another way I'm not to sure, but its a must for mine.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo FC, Dinamo Zagreb
Don’t forget this I posted in another thread:

Players to score a goal in all 7 rounds of 2019
Jeremy Cameron
Jordan de Goey
Tom Hawkins
Alex Sexton
Jake Stringer
Matt Taberner
Michael Walters

One of 7 in the whole comp. Imagine if he sorted his yips - he’d be top 3 in the Coleman so far. (Just FYI - Cameron has kicked at least 3 in every game).

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I've always been a fan of Tabs in the ruck for short stints as it gets him around the ball and as a confidence player I don't mind him picking up a few cheap possessions. Seemed to me that he did a bit more ruck work than usual against Adelaide though and the more time he spends in there the more it takes away from his strengths. Makes it harder for him to really run his opponent into the ground and with his confidence growing I don't think he needs the time in there as badly now as say 2 seasons ago. We also look a target short when he goes in there (Hogan competes hard and rarely gets outmarked, but doesn't really look threatening in the air either as of yet) and at ground level our forward line looks a little hit & miss atm.

Would love to see him spend more time forward (varying between that high Centre Half-Forward and full forward). Him and Hoges could really blow some guys up. Whether that means Lobb has to be the 2nd ruck or we find another way I'm not to sure, but its a must for mine.
It really annoys me when he’s second ruck tbh. He has a tank, can mark yet we’re using his fuel inside where he shouldn’t be. Darcy has to come in, Lobb then can take Tabs role. Time to play two ducks
Too many times last year where we tried to move the ball from half back and there was no target up field because Tabs is in the stoppages. Frustrating.
As much as he’s maligned, the forward line functions better with Tabs CHF full time and Hogan FF.

Unique Name

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs at Freo
2nd for goals (16th in the AFL - Only 5 goals behind 2nd place)
1st for marks (6th in the AFL)
1st for contested marks (4th in the AFL)
1st for marks inside 50 (2nd in the AFL)
1st (tied) for marks on the lead (10th in the AFL)
3rd for score involvements (62nd in the AFL) (7th in the AFL for Key Forwards)

And this is with him wasting time in the ruck, which he is absolutely useless at. He should never go in the ruck as far as I am concerned.

He is our best performing key forward by a country mile and people still talking about dropping him. He wasn't great on the weekend but he was better than Hogan and McCarthy.

Forward line and the ruck conundrum still needs sorting out.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tabs at Freo
2nd for goals (16th in the AFL - Only 5 goals behind 2nd place)
1st for marks (6th in the AFL)
1st for contested marks (4th in the AFL)
1st for marks inside 50 (2nd in the AFL)
1st (tied) for marks on the lead (10th in the AFL)
3rd for score involvements (62nd in the AFL) (7th in the AFL for Key Forwards)

And this is with him wasting time in the ruck, which he is absolutely useless at. He should never go in the ruck as far as I am concerned.

He is our best performing key forward by a country mile and people still talking about dropping him. He wasn't great on the weekend but he was better than Hogan and McCarthy.

Forward line and the ruck conundrum still needs sorting out.
Its a weird situation to be in after the bye if both Sandi and Darcy are both fully fit after the bye.

Still think Sandi plays the Pav role and just play home games unless its finals. Darcy play the away games.

Round 1 vs North, freo won by 82 and Hogan didn't play. 2 weeks ago, Freo beat GWS without cam. Tabs played well in both games.

FreoMonocle

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've always been a fan of Tabs in the ruck for short stints as it gets him around the ball and as a confidence player I don't mind him picking up a few cheap possessions.
It also means that his direct opponent changes from #1 defender to the ruck for a short while. If a clearance goes against us, well, in general play after that he will outcompete the ruck due to his mobility and marking etc. But if we do get the clearance and he charges forward, that creates an opportunity, he'll end up clear of the ruckman presumably somewhere towards half forward (a strategic place to take a mark) and at some point his usual defender will have to make a decision to switch back on to him, if it's during play that's to our advantage that they're disorganised while rearranging the deck chairs.

Top Bottom