Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Another game dominated by yet another half back, this time Bachar Houlli.
Tabs was alright, highest mark taker for Freo with 8. Did a few good things in close. But gee wasn’t a day at all for Freo’s forward. Have to do everything to get a mark out there atm.

Tabs- 18 disposals, 8 marks (outright 1st at the club with 64.), 1 goal (13 for the year), 3 contested marks (21 for the season, 4th in league).

Not sure what his streak is.. he kicked a goal in each game this season. 8? Only a handful of players have done that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blue shark

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs was alright, highest mark taker for Freo with 8. Did a few good things in close. But gee wasn’t a day at all for Freo’s forward. Have to do everything to get a mark out there atm.

Tabs- 18 disposals, 8 marks (outright 1st at the club with 64.), 1 goal (13 for the year), 3 contested marks (21 for the season, 4th in league).

Not sure what his streak is.. he kicked a goal in each game this season. 8? Only a handful of players have done that.
If he was closer to goal those marks are a chance to score, he's close to 200cm's play him from the goal square.
If they play him one on one he shouldn't get out marked, Matera at his feet. Double teamed and we have two 194cm
Players for the opposition to worry about, take your pick Hogan, Cox, McCarthy. Just don't have them competing for
the same long bomb or one card trick.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
If he was closer to goal those marks are a chance to score, he's close to 200cm's play him from the goal square.
If they play him one on one he shouldn't get out marked, Matera at his feet. Double teamed and we have two 194cm
Players for the opposition to worry about, take your pick Hogan, Cox, McCarthy. Just don't have them competing for
the same long bomb or one card trick.
That's exactly it. Forwards are going up the ground to get their marks. Turn around and Richmond players all spare because most of the players are in their forward half.
Matera scored a goal from just that. Tabs crashed the pack, smalls around the area and crumbed. That happened not even 3 times. The set up was all wrong from the bounce.
The forward set up isn't effective. There's no spread, nor leading. We play the game plan of getting it long as soon as possible from half back. That plays right into the defenders' hands. McGovern, Houlli, types love it. We would have Buddy with J. Cameron and we d still do the same thing

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

I don't think he will be dropped.

I want him to play vs Essendon. For some strange reason, he somehow kicks bags of goals vs essendon

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I don't think he will be dropped.

I want him to play vs Essendon. For some strange reason, he somehow kicks bags of goals vs essendon
Of the forwards, he would be the last to be dropped. His consistency outweighs Hogan and Cox tbh. Darcy has to come in and be first ruck with Lobb.
Tabs is absolutely wasted playing second ruck

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

gutted the goal streak ended. Still got 17 disposals and 1 behind, Far from the worst dockers player tonight.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
gutted the goal streak ended. Still got 17 disposals and 1 behind, Far from the worst dockers player tonight.
Was flat and didn’t take the grabs that were there. Filthy being a Freo forward the last 3 weeks. Horrid.
Got the most marks of the game with 8. But gee that forward line.. is a joke

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Was flat and didn’t take the grabs that were there. Filthy being a Freo forward the last 3 weeks. Horrid.
Got the most marks of the game with 8. But gee that forward line.. is a joke
Agreed, We know what our forwards are capable of in a good day.

dont bowl there

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atlanta Hawks, Birmingham City
Living in Melbourne I don't get to see the boys play live very often, so took this chance to see what the forward line is doing without the ball. Hogan runs really good lead patterns, doubles back, runs circles to try and get more angles. Where as Tabs just sees the ball in the air and runs straight to where Hogan is. I actually really like Tabs but he is a really really dumb forward, the amount of times space was available only for him to bring his opponent in was infuriating.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Living in Melbourne I don't get to see the boys play live very often, so took this chance to see what the forward line is doing without the ball. Hogan runs really good lead patterns, doubles back, runs circles to try and get more angles. Where as Tabs just sees the ball in the air and runs straight to where Hogan is. I actually really like Tabs but he is a really really dumb forward, the amount of times space was available only for him to bring his opponent in was infuriating.
Just leave him at FF, instructed to always be close to goal, his kicking, ball skills are a liability if he doesn't clunk
it.
We can blame the players but our system is one dimensional, and makes them look silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It’s more the coaching then anything.
Hogan coming from Melbourne in contrast to Tabs. Huge difference in how to run, lead etc. Who Tabs have as assistant coach? Hale. That’s his style when he was playing.
Not only that but all our target forwards tend to gravitate together as a pack. Not one is out wide, nor in the goal square. So when the all
Comes in from the midfield, they bomb it to Tabs and Hogan with their defenders on them. It’s absolutely frustrating. Tabs turns around after he marks it, has barely any options.
No cohesion as an unit. Tabs/Hogan/Lobb has to be it for me. Cox and McCarthy tend to complicate things. Put more smalls around the forwards.

mike91

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wtf? No, just no. We have no structure and our forwards never spread. Hogan, like the rest of our forwards made minimal leads, they just stand there waiting for the long bomb. Hogans opponent was best on at half time and ended up being one of the best players for the game.

dont bowl there

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atlanta Hawks, Birmingham City
Wtf? No, just no. We have no structure and our forwards never spread. Hogan, like the rest of our forwards made minimal leads, they just stand there waiting for the long bomb. Hogans opponent was best on at half time and ended up being one of the best players for the game.
Must have watched a different game tbh, I saw Hogan doing a lot of the small things right that create space and angles where as Tabs would just run into said space and cause congestion.

I never said Hogan had a good game but his work off the ball is easily the best in our team.

PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Must have watched a different game tbh, I saw Hogan doing a lot of the small things right that create space and angles where as Tabs would just run into said space and cause congestion.

I never said Hogan had a good game but his work off the ball is easily the best in our team.
Not sure of this game, only watched it on TV, but generally speaking Tabs work rate is very good and, though he can be a bit one dimensional in the fwd line, that is true, he's a big unit and so that's going to be his MO. Up the field though I thought he had a pretty good game, was a useful target up the wings and tended to move it on with some purpose and accuracy (one genuine clanger off memory). He is easily our best outlet mark at the moment, and by some way.

Unfortunately he turned to **** like every other Docker player that went into the Bermuda Triangle that is our fwd 50. But his body of form makes him hard to drop even if he's getting it wrong at times. He's miles ahead of Cox and McCarthy that's for sure.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not sure of this game, only watched it on TV, but generally speaking Tabs work rate is very good and, though he can be a bit one dimensional in the fwd line, that is true, he's a big unit and so that's going to be his MO. Up the field though I thought he had a pretty good game, was a useful target up the wings and tended to move it on with some purpose and accuracy (one genuine clanger off memory). He is easily our best outlet mark at the moment, and by some way.

Unfortunately he turned to **** like every other Docker player that went into the Bermuda Triangle that is our fwd 50. But his body of form makes him hard to drop even if he's getting it wrong at times. He's miles ahead of Cox and McCarthy that's for sure.
Even if he has a bad game he still gets 8 + marks. Cox got 2 and Hogan got 4. Honestly. That’s embarrassing for the forward line. Tall doesn’t make us any better if not worse on the scoreboard

AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem with Tabs is he can't run and jump and mark the footy. He's very good at planting his feet and protecting the space and marking the ball. So when the forward 50 is as congested as we play it there's actually no point playing Tabs as the highest forward. We chip the ball the top of the square hoping for a pack mark and set up behind the ball for repeat entries. How many marks have we taken??? if we stick with this game plan we need to play Lobb at FF because he's our only player capable of a big pack mark.

Hopefully we change tactics and try and move the ball faster and give our forwards more 1 v 1s. Tabs and Hogan will dominate I feel if they get a 1 v 1 in the forward 50 and we need to give them a chance.

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The problem with Tabs is he can't run and jump and mark the footy. He's very good at planting his feet and protecting the space and marking the ball. So when the forward 50 is as congested as we play it there's actually no point playing Tabs as the highest forward. We chip the ball the top of the square hoping for a pack mark and set up behind the ball for repeat entries. How many marks have we taken??? if we stick with this game plan we need to play Lobb at FF because he's our only player capable of a big pack mark.

Hopefully we change tactics and try and move the ball faster and give our forwards more 1 v 1s. Tabs and Hogan will dominate I feel if they get a 1 v 1 in the forward 50 and we need to give them a chance.
Agree. Defenders are smart at just scragging him and blocking his space. So he’s been pushed into the pack and can’t do much else. I’m disinterested tbh with the forward line. We’ve been stuck with this problem for 10 years and still we re bombing it, clunking two forwards together?

PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Even if he has a bad game he still gets 8 + marks. Cox got 2 and Hogan got 4. Honestly. That’s embarrassing for the forward line. Tall doesn’t make us any better if not worse on the scoreboard
Yeah agree. I wanted Cox in a couple of weeks ago because I thought he at least offers us some presence in the air (he's a good mark when in form) and general competitive umph which McCarthy has proven crap at. But Cox has been ordinary in his few games and was awful on the weekend. He was out pointed so often it was an embarrassment. If he's going to be as weak as that, then put a small in who at least can offer a bit of pressure and give us a some pace around the place.

Added to that, one thing Tabs is doing well is bring the ball to ground when he can't take it himself - time to take more advantage of that if nothing else. It's not a panacea, but the 3 tall(ish) fwds and a ruck is not working.

PapaJ

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I was shocked to see that we are 7th for I50's and 6 for marks inside 50.....seem to be wasting a lot of entries and a lot of marks inside 50!
I think that's the bottom line for where we're at really. We're not that bad and after a good start I think that's why the mood is so down - in a sense, expectations are rightly high and we're not delivering because our fwd 50 play is so inefficient. It was a problem last year too, but we have more power up front now with Tabs doing OK and supported by quality (Hogan and Lobb) and potential quality (McCarthy) and there really should be no excuses for us not scoring enough to win games.

That said, we're also much weaker in terms of defensive pressure in the fwd 50, it comes out a bit too easily. Like I said above, that's not on Tabs really, but is an issue for team set-up.

AFL Club
Fremantle
I was shocked to see that we are 7th for I50's and 6 for marks inside 50.....seem to be wasting a lot of entries and a lot of marks inside 50!
Those numbers are misleading. We get crappy repeat forward 50 entries with 36 players being in our forward line. To score when our forward half is so flooded is pretty much impossible.

Unique Name

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Those numbers are misleading. We get crappy repeat forward 50 entries with 36 players being in our forward line. To score when our forward half is so flooded is pretty much impossible.
If you were an opposition coach about to play Freo what would you do after watching how Freo play over these last few weeks?

Every club knows now, just flood the backline. Freo don't have the skill/gameplan to hit targets forward of centre.

Top Bottom