Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah agree with that mostly. I'm sure it's his mental game that his holding him back. When Rossy sent him back to WAFL a couple years ago the pressure was off mentally because it was clear he was well above WAFL standard, couldn't miss a set shot and committed a lot less blunders. Plays at AFL level a misses some quite simple shots, etc.

Even if all he'll ever be is an average AFL forward hopefully as the team improves as a whole so does his output/consistency. A rising tide lifts all boats and so on.
Gotta pick you up on this bit of revisionist history Unique Name. Playing at WAFL level, Tabs very rarely tore a game apart, and the only reason he was better than most WAFL players was because he is an endurance athlete. Early in games he was rarely sighted, then as the game wore on he would start to get out on his own and looked a lot better. I am a Peel tragic, and I saw Tabs play some really ordinary games for Peel, even heard the coaches ripping into him on more than one occasion, mainly for being soft at the contest.

Not a Tabs hater by any stretch, but he made just as many blunders and missed just as many shots at WAFL level as he does at AFL.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
His
Gotta pick you up on this bit of revisionist history Unique Name. Playing at WAFL level, Tabs very rarely tore a game apart, and the only reason he was better than most WAFL players was because he is an endurance athlete. Early in games he was rarely sighted, then as the game wore on he would start to get out on his own and looked a lot better. I am a Peel tragic, and I saw Tabs play some really ordinary games for Peel, even heard the coaches ripping into him on more than one occasion, mainly for being soft at the contest.

Not a Tabs hater by any stretch, but he made just as many blunders and missed just as many shots at WAFL level as he does at AFL.
In his last 10 WAFL games he kicked 27.3 so he didn't miss too many.... But I did watch a few of his WAFL games and yes he did commit a few of his usual blunders.

I feel like Tabs would be the kind of player that would respond well to a verbal spray.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Certainly not amongst our worst today in a side that could have easily snatched it late with a bit more quality. His link up play with Hogan in the first was really good. As Hogan builds his fitness this will improve. Lobb, again, ineffective for the most part.
Tabs was forced to lead down the wing and try link up with Hogan who was deep forward. Too easy for Gold Coast defenders .
Darcy is a must in. The Hogan and Tabs can play permanent forward. He’s wasted in the ruck.
Capable of kicking 3 a game, but the forward structures suck atm.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Taberner good again last night, he's finally finding his feet which took him a while, he looks to be a lot more confident in himself now. Great to see

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's our second best forward behind Sonny Walters - and has been for the last 2 years.
That might be an indictment on the quality of the team but it's just the way it is.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
He hasnt had a really bad game. He hasnt been that bad to the point of being dropped. Far from it.

Problem is, if he is given enough chances he can kick 2-4 goals off 10-15 disposals.
He works hard for his marks and disposals.
Again, coaches need a forward structure that allow Tabs and Hogan close to goal rather then on the wing 60-70m out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
He hasnt had a really bad game. He hasnt been that bad to the point of being dropped. Far from it.

Rubbish. His Essendon game was diabolical. Not only his output but his effort.

Since then he’s been good or better and a big part of us being competitive. His first half was really good on the weekend. After the fight he went missing a bit which was disappointing but overall he’s been good...apart from game 1.

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs field kicking up the ground used to make me cringe and more often than not would get turned over in dangerous spots but he seems to have tidied that part of his game up a bit (Waiver: I havent seen the GC game fully yet so could be horribly wrong...)

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Thought he played really well. Love that he got fired up for the jumper (even against an old mate). JHo, Tabs, and Lobb looking like a good 3 tall forward line for the next few years and starting to work well together (just need Lobb down there in the square when the others go roaming as the target).

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
The big guy is going well. I'd be delighted if the biggest issue with our team was our full forward "only" clunking a handful of marks and kicking a few goals each game.

Agree that his efficacy increases if we have Lobb/another target sitting deeper so his link up play better translates to shots on goal.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can't understand anyone knocking Tabs given the state of our List. He is the perfect moneyball player. We got him for nothing. He has performed at AFL level. He's a great size. He can go in the ruck and he covers a lot of ground. Sure he has the odd brain-fade but he is supposed to be the foil. If we had Pavlich right now they could easily kick a hundred between them in a season.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
We looked a better team when Hogan got out of his way in the last, more games will equal better team cohesion, would love Jesse to get more runs up the ground and leave Taberner one out forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back