Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

In his later years of footy Tabs is kind of like Zac Dawson. You're confused why he's in an AFL team and not the Harvey Brunswick Bulls.
Or like the nuffies that didn't understand the value of Zac Dawson, you wouldn't expect them to see the positives of Tabs. They're never going to get it, not then, not now.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ffs, give it a rest. Three weeks of this s**t. So did he run over your cat or @#& your missus?

Classy.

No, he's an average forward. And I think you know it. I don't want an average forward, I want an exceptional forward. We got 3 of them ready to go, and he ain't one of 'em.

Or like the nuffies that didn't understand the value of Zac Dawson, you wouldn't expect them to see the positives of Tabs. They're never going to get it, not then, not now.

So Dawson was delisted twice, and 17 other clubs were not interested but I am the Nuffie? (Whatever that means). Come on mate, there is a fair argument to say that if Ross Lyon didn’t exist Dawson would not have an AFL career. Dawson was an extremely limited player. There is no way he should of played the number of games he did. (And yes, that’s despite him having a good finals campaign in a very defensive ross Lyon team in 2010).

So Dawson was delisted twice, and 17 other clubs were not interested but I am the Nuffie? (Whatever that means). Come on mate, there is a fair argument to say that if Ross Lyon didn’t exist Dawson would not have an AFL career. Dawson was an extremely limited player. There is no way he should of played the number of games he did. (And yes, that’s despite him having a good finals campaign in a very defensive ross Lyon team in 2010).

Neither would Walters.
And Dawson was on his way to Freo before RTB arrived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the actual *!?

Zac Dawson and value in the same sentence omfg
Won player of the finals series for two different clubs. Definitely had his limitations but usually always did the team things. Almost gave up the game very early due to abuse from supporters but ended up playing 150+ AFL games.

Does this assessment also note the excellent work on the boundary in the last Q to keep the ball alive that led directly to a goal perchance?
If that's a recorded stat, I'd bet he'd be getting outpaced by better keys but more to the point, I'd rather a kpf be recognised for doing kpf things, predominantly.
I mean, I like a good ball slap to keep it in play and all, but not the defining stat for mine.

If that's a recorded stat, I'd bet he'd be getting outpaced by better keys but more to the point, I'd rather a kpf be recognised for doing kpf things, predominantly.
I mean, I like a good ball slap to keep it in play and all, but not the defining stat for mine.
People play the stats to suit their purpose anyway. Depends if it's a favourite or a scapegoat. Taberner's goals were junk compared to Jye's one or Treacy's zero. Taberner's marking means nothing but boy, you should have seen Treacy's possessions and hitouts in the WAFL yesterday!

Do the people standing up for him all these years feel comfortable being on the wrong side of history?

Yep they would considering a few factors....

Tabs might be injury prone but at least have effort. No different to certain guys that fit that description in Jono Griffin.

Funny thing is from tabs debut in 2013 to 2023. Not even mentioning Pavlich. There has been better (tall) forwards drafted than tabs in the last 10 years and have been better talent wise, but have left through various reasons.

Tanner Smith, Michael Apeness, Cam McCarthy, Hugh Dixon, Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb.

A couple of them had the talent but not the motivation to become better players ....

We can bag out tabs in various reasons and seasons.

2018 or 2019, he had a solid 1st half of the season and looked in track for a 30-40 goal season, then injuries came in.

Tabs kicked 37 goals in 16 games in 2020. Then had another solid season in 2021.

Tabs kicked 23 goals from 13 games in 2022. Gutted he didn't play either of those finals.

And yes sadly he has been on our list for 10 seasons with no finals win.

2018 or 2019, he had a solid 1st half of the season and looked in track for a 30-40 goal season, then injuries came in.

Tabs kicked 37 goals in 16 games in 2020. Then had another solid season in 2021.

Tabs kicked 23 goals from 13 games in 2022. Gutted he didn't play either of those finals.

And yes sadly he has been on our list for 10 seasons with no finals win.
29 from 16 shortened games in 2020 (5th in the coleman)
37 from 16 in 2021
23 from 13 in 2022 (a bunch of subbed/injury affected games here too)

Put together a very solid 3 seasons at AFL level but injury is hurting him again

29 from 16 shortened games in 2020 (5th in the coleman)
37 from 16 in 2021
23 from 13 in 2022 (a bunch of subbed/injury affected games here too)

Put together a very solid 3 seasons at AFL level but injury is hurting him again
You can make an argument and it it's a stretch...

If Taberner played a full season in 2019, dockers likely to make finals. We were 8-7 after 15 games and beat Collingwood at the MCG. We then won 1 win and lost 5 to post a 9 win and 13 record.

You can make an argument Freo could of made finals in 2020 despite the 7 win and 10 loss record. Dockers lost 3 or 4 narrow games that season and could of snuck in with a 10-7 win loss record. As you said Tabs kicked 29 goals from 16 games in 2020.

You could make an argument that Freo could of made finals in 2021. Tabs did kick 37 goals from 16 games in 2021. Would of been epic if he played all 22 games or at worst played 20 games that season. Easily would of kicked at least 40 goals on the form he was in.

Despite losing to the saints in the final round in 2021, I wished we took Essendons 8th spot. Essendon making finals in 2021 was a fluke as they beat 7 teams in the bottom 6 to make finals.

And yes I wished Freo made back to back finals in 2021-2.

As painful as it might be to see Mundy and Logue as they are both moved on, look up Tabs episode of Old Bull Young Buck and you can see first hand why they think he is weird unit.

Just watched "Young Buck, Old Cuck" and Tabs definitely has a bit of Gareth from The Office in him 😂

I really want to have a beer with him now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back