Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith and Apeness are both unproven and in different roles. I am a massive Apeness fan and will defend him until he becomes that beast we know he can be and dominate the AFL. Smith I don't see making it, huge amount of endeavour but skill base just won't be enough for AFL methinks. Mayne will flourish in a potent forward line as a 3rd or 4th tall. If he sticks around next year he'd be our forward line general. I'm in two minds about him. Love him and he's a massive part of our club but if he could get us a second round pick (which would be pick 20 or something) then I'm all for it. However if he decides to stay, I'll be just as happy with that outcome too!
I hear you.
I just think that it is unlikely that we will get a better draft opportunity than now and to be honest most of our talent is sub 26. At this point in time we should be loading up with youth as we have missed the Pav boat. Our next real year for contention might be next year but is more likely to be 2018-2020. Will Mayne be with us then? Given his age I suspect that is less likely.
If he gets a good offer in FA and we can get a round 2 compo pick. I say shake his hand, thank him for the years of service and wish him all the best.
IMHO we will get more mileage out of drafting with a round 2 pick for a Ruck or even another tallish forward. We took Mayne with pick 40. Any compo pick we get this year should be there abouts or better (depends on end of round or after our pick compo position). I would hope that translates to someone younger with more time on the clock and similar or better long term performance.

We also need to remember that Balic could develop into a classy half forward.

Anyway back to Tabs, really pleased to see him continuing to develop this year....the biggest battle is in his head.

Can't blame taberner, our entries have been woeful and general skill base below acceptable. I still think he'll be a far more confident and imposing player when pavlich not in the team

You can certainly blame him for not competing.

Again playing with Pav, doesn't seem to gel. Pavlich is so often the focus points of the long kicks that Tabs' good leads and hard work hardly get rewarded. Really frustrating. Same old "Kick it to Pav and Hope" tactic.
Thought Tabs did well at times tonight, he did have two good marks. But when the ball isn't coming into the 50 as much and as poorly as it was, hardly much to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was frustrated as evidenced by the headlock on Howe in the last. It wasn't a night for him, won't be easier next game up in Darwin and the run home is tough too.

If he can pinch 10-12 goals and a few contested grabs it'll give him confidence to go into next season.

Far from our worst on what was a terrible night to be a Freo tall. Why bump this?

Some people just don't understand what's happening I guess.

All our forwards were terrible tonight, Taberner definitely wasn't the worst (Mayne was). But that's completely to be expected when we get dominated in possessions and stuff up our forward delivery as bad as we did tonight.

Some people just don't understand what's happening I guess.

All our forwards were terrible tonight, Taberner definitely wasn't the worst (Mayne was). But that's completely to be expected when we get dominated in possessions and stuff up our forward delivery as bad as we did tonight.

We had 37 I50 for the match which would be one of our lower tallies for the year. Add to that the incredibly poor kicking when we did manage the rare fwd entry and a pretty handy opponent in Ben Reid and imo he did well to to get more touches than 8-9 other players. He wasn't terrible, he wasn't good, saying he "didn't compete" though is bullshit.

We had 37 I50 for the match which would be one of our lower tallies for the year. Add to that the incredibly poor kicking when we did manage the rare fwd entry and a pretty handy opponent in Ben Reid and imo he did well to to get more touches than 8-9 other players. He wasn't terrible, he wasn't good, saying he "didn't compete" though is bullshit.

Agreed, unfortunately some people are just irrational when it comes to certain players like Taberner and Danyle Pearce. They get bagged every week regardless. Having Pavlich for so long has led to many Fremantle fans having completely unrealistic expectations for a young key forward.

Does not deserve a roasting when the midfield could barely get it to him and when they did they never kicked to his advantage.

Disappointing when he missed that set shot though. Should have done better there.

Ling knows nothing.

Does not deserve a roasting when the midfield could barely get it to him and when they did they never kicked to his advantage.

Disappointing when he missed that set shot though. Should have done better there.

Ling knows nothing.
images

He doesn't seem to be moving right, possibly ankle still giving a bit of niggle. I think the bye couldn't have come quick enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back