Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward line functions better with Taberner playing the extra tall.

Whether Taberner plays or not is really a moot point. There is no one playing for Peel who can play the KPF role in Taberner's place. Apeness is unavailable for about the next 10 weeks and was underwhelming when tried last season. Hannath or Griffin? I'd rather have Tabs.

We're one Pavlich injury away from being severely tested in that area.

Tabs is coming along nicely. Some things he does, he looks at home as our FF. Other times, it's a bit shaky. But the effort's there, he's getting better every game I see him, and just having him in the forward line has de-aged Pav by at least 5 years.
Loving having a second viable tall option to allow Pav to get back to playing (and winning) one on one contests again.

Does anyone think once MacPharlin is back Alex Pearce might be tried as a second tall forward if Tabs needs a break to freshen up?

When he was interviewed last week he said he loves going forward and kicking goals, and he seems like a strong mark.

he is complete pants. drop him and never look back. how he gets a game ahead of Mzungu or half the Peel side is truly beyond me. I suspect he's either a close family friend of the Lyon's or has some dirt on one of his family members. there is literally no other reasonable explanation for his continued selection and abject 4 possession performances.

Simmo stick to one account pls

So with yesterday's game in the bank, we can add to the stats from the OP:

Taberner on: 558 points across ~21.5 quarters, which equates to 26.0 points per quarter.

And for the time he isn't on the field, Freo has scored 30 points across 2.5 quarters, which is 12 points per quarter.

Essentially, another very solid and even forward performance, with 4+ goals in 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters, leading to another score around 100.

If we could get Rance to replace McPharlin, we could hold with Dawson, Silvagni and MJ.

This would allow the master plan of Alex Pearce forward .....Tabs and Pearce, it would be like having 2 Nick Reiwoldts burning around the field - not too many teams have 2 backs with the running power to match these guys.

I can but dream.

After watching replay, just short on 100% confidence with marking, none of them he dropped were big clunked contested grabs, but not sitters.

Actually reckon hes not far away at all from dominating a game like he did on Garland in the NAB. His movement was very very good.

After watching replay, just short on 100% confidence with marking, none of them he dropped were big clunked contested grabs, but not sitters.

Actually reckon hes not far away at all from dominating a game like he did on Garland in the NAB. His movement was very very good.
Agreed. How's those wheel and deals.

For anyone still playing: last night was Q1 33pts; Q2 29 pts; Q3 27 points; Q4 26 points. Again, 25 points per quarter. Consistency, consistency.

Overall season stats:

Taberner on: 673 points across ~25.5 quarters, which equates to 26.4 points per quarter.

And for the time he isn't on the field, Freo has scored 30 points across 2.5 quarters, which is 12 points per quarter.

#Consistency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taberner's return this year from his first 7 games: 10 goals, 4 behinds. Kicked the same amount of goals as Tom Hawkins.
Out: Taberner

amirite?

I feel a big bag is coming for Tabs. I reckon against Richmond or Gold Coast in the next few weeks to come...

Taberner's return this year from his first 7 games: 10 goals, 4 behinds. Kicked the same amount of goals as Tom Hawkins.
Good output from Tabs, but to be fair to Hawkins he hasn't had a very pleasant last month or so.

Still, 10 goals in 7 games is brilliant. Hopefully he can push 25-30 come years end.

Hawkins doesnt have the supply.

Tabs could be in double that if he managed to mark the ball more.

Hawkins doesnt have the supply.

Tabs could be in double that if he managed to mark the ball more.

I counted about 8 dropped marks yesterday, 3 or 4 of them were relatively simple.

If he can just become a moderately good mark of the footy then he could really be damaging. He gets himself into the right position all the time only to drop the mark. Quite happy to give him as much game time as possible because there is pretty big upside there.

I counted about 8 dropped marks yesterday, 3 or 4 of them were relatively simple.

If he can just become a moderately good mark of the footy then he could really be damaging. He gets himself into the right position all the time only to drop the mark. Quite happy to give him as much game time as possible because there is pretty big upside there.

Yep!

Lucky for him he got many more games to improve before finals. Otherwise come finals against the very best he could become a liability.

The great thing is he knows how to lead and run, gets himself in good positions.. Just his hands need working on. Fyfe need to teach him for sure. Upside is he's learning and improving. Clarke had a lot of similar problems but he is taking them more consistently now.

He dropped 3 sitters against Essendon too, he needs to play but I just think come crunch time he might let us down in a big moment.

His hands aren't good enough and for mine you either have it or you don't. Running power will only take you so far.

He dropped 3 sitters against Essendon too, he needs to play but I just think come crunch time he might let us down in a big moment.

His hands aren't good enough and for mine you either have it or you don't. Running power will only take you so far.
Zaarke's marking wasn't much better a few years ago but he's put it together this year. I think if a player works on something hard enough, especially if they're good at most other things and deficient in only one or two areas that they work hard on improving, they can put it together after a few years.

You reckon? I think it's the opposite. You can teach a guy how to catch. What's a lot harder to teach is being able to get in the right position to mark in a contest, because it relies on mostly instinct.

Either way, I hope Taberner is spending half his day having the ball bombed at him.

As has been mentioned, the Tabs's greatest asset is his willingness to better himself. He has already improved his marking far beyond what is was a couple of years ago. I think in another couple of years, people will be asking why he wasn't drafted higher than he was.

Sandi quite simply could not get a mark to stick for love nor money when he was Taberner's age. Those long arms would go up and the ball would just bounce straight off them. Tabs'll work on his marking and he'll get better at it, just like Sandi did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back