Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by samFFC, May 13, 2015.

1. Enter two competitions to win prizes!

The AFLMemes comp has 5 free Premium Platinum Memberships on offer.

The Prelim Tips comp gives you a chance to win the Official AFL card game, Footy Feud!

2. Previews:

And enter the Prelim tipping comp to win.

3. Video Games on BigFooty

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds Forum ThreadMinecraft on BigFooty ServersAFL Evolution And MORE...
  1. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    #1376 meima, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Cox is not mean to be second ruck , but in a rebuild you need to explore option . Tab is an option but he is not a long term solution either . I am not really confident with cam Mac tab and Cox combination.

Cox is roughly the same height as cam Petersen and tom McDonald's. If injury strike at least you can go with Tab and Cox combo or Alex Pearce and Cox combo .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Oct 24, 2015
    I know you'll find some convenient excuse why this is the case but Cox's rucking stats yesterday are actually better than Taberner's have been...

Cox had 9 hit outs, 22 disposals, and 8 marks including 3 contested marks yesterday in his 2nd ever AFL game and first as a backup ruck/fwd.

Tabs (in his 5 games this season as a fwd/ruck) has averaged 5.6 hit outs, 9.8 disposals, and 4 marks including 2.2 contested.

I know Cox wasn't up against a "real" ruckman but I don't recall Taberner being up against a "real" ruckman either. Do I think Cox is a better ruck than Tabs? No. Do I think Cox's performance (as just a first year KPP) proves that Tabs deserved to be dropped back to WAFL. Yes. Is it unfair that Kersten is still playing despite similarly poor performances? Yes.

3. ydraw

ydraw Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Apr 27, 2015
    I've got no problem with Cox's performance. I just don't think he's in the running to be our backup ruckman going forward.

4. Tbonefreo

Tbonefreo Club Legend

Fremantle
    Feb 13, 2013
    Wagga
    Those are nice stats for a 2nd gamer

Nickos66 likes this.
  5. FreoMonocle

FreoMonocle Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Apr 25, 2011
    I don't care who does it, but for structure we need someone forward who can contest and both Cam/Kersten/Crozier have suffered from the lack of it. Darcy and Stradnica are options, but until they were even considered AFL ready, Tabs clearly should have been in.

On an individual performance, sure it makes sense to have dropped Tabs, a dropped mark that should have been taken in the forward 50 is a dropped mark in the forward 50. BUT, compare that to the situation in games without him, where we have an opposition marking instead of Tabs spilling the ball (with an occasional mark forward) - such as Harry Taylor routinely mopping up the ball on the weekend, it should be obvious that we need him in for structure until we have someone else.

For the most part we wouldn't have capitalised on a spilled ball anyway this year, as we didn't have anyone to crumb, but with Ballas back its a different matter.

6. Freomaniac

Freomaniac Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
    May 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    to be honest tabs has to play this week. we need to give him a few more game to decide if we should keep him

FreoRicci likes this.
  7. salim malik

salim malik Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jan 14, 2008
    Paradise on Earth.
    He can take a game by the balls at Peel and dominate and kick a bag to show that we should keep him , no need to play seniors for that.

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN likes this.
  8. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    Problem is can he kick a bag and win game for peel .

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN likes this.
  9. salim malik

Fremantle
    Jan 14, 2008
    Paradise on Earth.
    If he pulls his finger out and does it, yes.:p

M_rash likes this.
  10. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    Griffin ,tab combo , I think peel will be going down like fly .

11. Freomaniac

Freomaniac Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
    May 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    An who is going to be the 195 cm plus tall that's going to take the contested marks this week vs the saints? Kersten?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. salim malik

Fremantle
    Jan 14, 2008
    Paradise on Earth.
    The last four games that Tabs played for Freo ,please refresh my memory on how many marks he pulled in..:rolleyes: He did stuff all to help out the forward half in those games. ;)

13. Gussman

Gussman Team Captain

Fremantle
    Oct 14, 2016
    Not really 195 cm but i hear Fyfe is a decent mark and is likely to play forward.

14. FreoRicci

FreoRicci Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
    Sep 22, 2011
    Perth
    Has 20 marks over 5 games this year. Considering he played in that pathetic Adelaide demolition and Carlton wet game Not bad considering.

The last 5 rounds, Kersten has had only 10 marks- didn't even get a single one against Brisbane in Round 12. But yeah keep playing him

M_rash likes this.
  15. salim malik

Fremantle
    Jan 14, 2008
    Paradise on Earth.
    You didn't answer the question, how was his form in his last 4 Freo games?

16. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Oct 24, 2015
    I don't mind if Tabs plays but please no more of this everyone kicked to player X so he didn't have a chance, or it was wettish weather so he wasn't suited to it, or he needs to be in as he is the only player on our team that can take contested marks or marks inside 50, or whatever other excuse/reasoning.

And completely over the bringing up of stats re Tabs. If you take just the one game against Essendon out of the equation his averages aren't anything close to being our best. Remember he took 7 contested marks, 6 marks inside 50 and 4 goals in that one game. His average for contested marks is 2.2 - so he's kicked 11 total - so that's just one per game for the next 4 games (and 3 of those 4 were against Richmond - where MJ also took 3 and plenty of others took 2). Wet weather blah blah. The key forwards for Carlton took multiple contested marks as did MJ (3), and same for Adelaide's tall forwards and Collingwood's tall forwards in the subsequent games Tabs played. It's like disregarding the 18 games he played last year because Pav was in the team as plenty of 2nd key forwards seem to do alright in the shadow of the primary target.

This is the problem with stats. Unless you provide context (eg small sample size of only 5 games with 1 being a massive outlier) they don't give you an accurate analysis of how someone has been performing.

17. ydraw

ydraw Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Apr 27, 2015
    Better than Kersten's

Van_Dyke, FreoRicci, samFFC and 3 others like this.
  18. salim malik

Fremantle
    Jan 14, 2008
    Paradise on Earth.
    Who cares , neither are worth a game at the minute. Cox as a pinch hitting ruck who plays forward is a better option than Taberner.

scon likes this.
  19. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    Agree Cam Mac ,fyfe ,Cox . Forward look promising. If work against St kilda . Tab ,Kersten can play peel rest of the season .

scon and salim malik like this.
  20. scon

scon Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    Apr 19, 2009
    western australia
    #1395 scon, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Has certainly hit the ground running that boy.Looks really promising with plenty to offer as a long term prospect.High level athleticism high level skills and reads the game like a footballer.
    Brings the settlement and occupancy dates on the rebuild forward by a significant period.:thumbsu:
    Be interested in his draft sprint times as he looks a little rapid for a big fella.

EDIT:Found these
    Combine test results: Repeat Sprint (secs) – 26.71. 20m Sprint (secs) – 3.05. Agility (secs) – 8.66. Beep Test (level) – 13.5. 3km Time Trial (min:secs) – 10:56.

Crippa, meima and salim malik like this.
  21. Rob

Rob Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Peel Thunder
    Nov 8, 2000
    South of the river
    Dunno about the rest of the season, but Kersten needs to get his hands on the ball. A 20 possession game at Peel would do him a lot more good long term than another 6 possession game in the AFL.

But for some reason Ross is going to stick with him this week. I hope he's got this one right.

M_rash, Freoforever86 and meima like this.
  22. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    Not sure what to expect from Ross, recently he had been very quirky with journalist question.

23. Freoforever86

Freoforever86 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Aug 30, 2013
    Annoys me that Kersten is likely going to get another chance but Tabs doesn't get a look in. Even at his worst he's looked better than Kersten did last week.

samFFC and M_rash like this.
  24. Joao

Joao Club Legend

Fremantle
    May 2, 2017
    QLD
    He has actually. Don't remember what it was but I am sure he alluded to something in the presser last week or maybe two ago and then did the opposite.

I don't have a problem with Tabs playing this week for Kersten. Tabs is playing ok in the WAFL and Kersten not so good in the AFL. Long term I think Kersten has a place as the third tall but is not performing and should go back to build some form.

25. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Dec 22, 2014
    The Tabs debate keeps bubbling along nicely on other threads.

This week's team hasn't been named. While we wait with bated breath to see if they do or don't select Matthew this week, I wonder what (that's seven words starting with 'w' in the one sentence...eight, wow...d'oh nine) Freo supporters believe his future holds.

At season's end, do we:

A. Keep him.

B. Trade him.

C. Delist him?