Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, BF opinions have always influenced players on whether they go or stay. :rolleyes:

Obviously I don't mean how he's been treated by bigfooty. I mean how he's been treated by FFC.

If I was Taberner I'd take a look at how Alex Silvagni has gone elsewhere and wonder if I might be better off back in Victoria under a different coach.

Last edited:
Obviously I don't mean how he's been treated by bigfooty you colossal loser. I mean how he's been treated by FFC.

If I was Taberner I'd take a look at how Alex Silvagni has gone elsewhere and wonder if I might be better off back in Victoria under a different coach.

Nah man up , you said here in your post .Worming your way out when its in black and white is not a good look. And you calling anybody a loser is a massive pot kettle black moment.:)

Nah man up , you said on here in your post .Worming your way out when its in black and white is not a good look. And you calling anybody a loser is a massive pot kettle black moment.:)

Only deleted it because I don't want to get infracted for your sake. Still feel the same way.

Obviously I don't mean how he's been treated by bigfooty. I mean how he's been treated by FFC.

I'd argue that at a lot of other teams there is every chance that he would have already been delisted.

Silvagni did his job for us, but he was last in line behind Hamling, Pearce, Dawson, Collins.

What do you want the club to do, bench Hamling, Pearce and Collins so he can get a game?

Good on him for getting a game elsewhere, he simply wasn't able to do it for us going forward.

The Tabs debate keeps bubbling along nicely on other threads.

This week's team hasn't been named. While we wait with bated breath to see if they do or don't select Matthew this week, I wonder what (that's seven words starting with 'w' in the one sentence...eight, wow...d'oh nine) Freo supporters believe his future holds.

At season's end, do we:

A. Keep him.

B. Trade him.

C. Delist him?

a) keep him - a 5th pre-season. Eventually with the change over of lists he'll be physically stronger than most defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a feeling he will be relegated back to rookie if other team don't want him .

Ydraws love for Taberner knows no bounds.

He's the only tall forward we have that's fit. What I love is playing a proper forward structure that includes 2 tall forwards. Cox is going well but needs help. If Apeness was fit I'd be backing him to get a game as well but he isn't.

If we aint playing him, we still need him for depth. But for his sake, I hope he goes to a different team that doesn't flip flop like we have.

Kersten in instead of Tabs ffs! Ross (and or the cobblers) get's a mindset for - or against some players and Tabs has been on the outer from day 1.

Got a feeling he will be relegated back to rookie if other team don't want him .

Nah, can't see that. There's no point giving a player that has had every opportunity to perform and has not done so a spot on the rookie list. He's either a main list player or outta here.

If Kersten is currently ahead of him on the pecking order then things look grim for his future. At Freo anyway.

Nah, can't see that. There's no point giving a player that has had every opportunity to perform and has not done so a spot on the rookie list. He's either a main list player or outta here.

If Kersten is currently ahead of him on the pecking order then things look grim for his future. At Freo anyway.
I think there is other team enquiry about him ,nobody know apart from his player manager .
There are team looking for depth players waiting for them to be delisted rather than go through trade .

At season's end both FreoFC and Tabs need to make a decision on his future. The least likely possibility is delisting.

AFL senior list player delistings (2012-16)

Players delisted: 366.

Aged 23-25: 122.

Aged 23-25 and played 50+ games: 27 (12 were picked up by other clubs; 5 by Richmond).

Aged 23-25, played 50+ games and 195+cms tall: 2.

The two included Tippett who was by no means a genuine delisting. The who-ha surrounding the goings on between Adelaide and Sydney saw Tippett officially 'delisted'.

That means only one player (Cameron Wood) fitting the Tabs profile (age 23-25, 50+ games, 195+ cms tall) has been delisted in the past 5 years. And that was 5 years ago. Wood was eventually picked up by Carlton after spending a year in the VFL with Williamstown*.

Players fitting the Tabs profile are highly prized by the league (big guys with games experience and years in the AFL system). Delisting him would be a colossal waste. So what about trades? Glad you asked.

AFL senior list player trades (2012-16)

Players traded: 153.

Aged 23-25: 57.

Aged 23-25, played 50+ games and 195+cms tall: 10.

The Tabs template ten

Player // Trade involved // Nett player value (AFL Draft Value Index)

1. Stef Martin // Martin for #52 and #71 // #50.

2. Ben McEvoy // McEvoy and #24 and #59 for Savage and #18 and #19 // Savage and #18.

3. Shaun Hampson // Hampson for #32 // #32.

4. Jesse White // White for #44 // #44.

5. Rhys Stanley // Stanley and #59 for #21 // #26.

6. Liam Jones // Jones for #46 // #46.

7. Jake Carlisle // Carlisle and #18 for #6 and #29 // #10.

8. Ben Dixon // Dixon and #45 for #10 and #32 // #7.

9. Lachie Hendserson // Henderson for #17 // #17.

10. Zac Smith // Smith for #45 and #53 // #32.

Whilst Tabs will never project to Dixon or Carlisle territory there are useful possibilities. To maximise them we need to play him. If he succeeds we keep him. If we don't play him he may want out any way.

* Peter Faulks (yes that one) recently played his 100th game for Williamstown as the cornerstone of their defence. Assistant playing coach too.
Interesting post. But i suppose the question really is "would Tabs have played 50 games at any other club, or did he get a free ride at Freo given our total lack of options"? I used to love his potential, now he just frustrates me. Can dominate WAFL but go missing at AFL. Not fussed if we keep, trade or delist him.

Interesting post. But i suppose the question really is "would Tabs have played 50 games at any other club, or did he get a free ride at Freo given our total lack of options"? I used to love his potential, now he just frustrates me. Can dominate WAFL but go missing at AFL. Not fussed if we keep, trade or delist him.
the only other clubs he would of got 50 games besides freo is carlton and brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back