Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by samFFC, May 13, 2015.

1. Enter two competitions to win prizes!

The AFLMemes comp has 5 free Premium Platinum Memberships on offer.

The Prelim Tips comp gives you a chance to win the Official AFL card game, Footy Feud!

2. Previews:

And enter the Prelim tipping comp to win.

3. Video Games on BigFooty

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds Forum ThreadMinecraft on BigFooty ServersAFL Evolution And MORE...
  1. Banker

Banker Club Legend

Fremantle
    May 17, 2014
    Well it's annoying seeing it for 2 years..

Not my fault I can remember the OP and reading discussion that is off topic. If you want I could create a new thread that has relevance and so when it pops up people know it's the latest info on him.

Also this is the first time I asked for a small change. I'm sure other feel the same because it's like someone bumping up year old threads which everyone finds annoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Joao

Joao Club Legend

Fremantle
    May 2, 2017
    QLD
    Nah I think Righteo is right, this thread has clearly evolved into the general Tabs thread and I am not sure it needs to be changed.

Not directed at Banker:
    On Tabs, remember he has still only played 50 AFL games. Most midfielders don't hit their straps until at least that many games. No way you can call him yet. He has shown enough at times to suggest he can do it. The next part is consistency.

Is it likely he becomes a gun? Probably not, but to be so black and white about it at this point is premature. It's also not like he is keeping anyone of note out of the team either.

scon likes this.
  3. Righteo

Righteo Purple Campaigner

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Boston Celtics - The Brew Crew
    Apr 7, 2010
    West
    no. and you're probably the only one who finds issue with it, and i suspect it's because you just want to be an argumentative pest. 1 complaint in 59 pages.

end of discussion.

UFO Tatsu and Yeti like this.
  4. AAACockburn

AAACockburn Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Team Gil
    Mar 30, 2013
    Under the rug
    You look at players like Tabs and see how many games played they have in the AFL but remember how many times he was the sub.
    You can't realistically call them games played when he was only on the ground for half a quarter at least.

5. ydraw

ydraw Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Apr 27, 2015
    Don't think he was ever named sub but he was the guy who got the red vest in pretty much every game he played for his first 2 seasons.

kingswood71 likes this.
  6. Silent Alarm

Silent Alarm Is your bed made? Is your sweater on?

Fremantle
    Jul 9, 2010
    You also look at players like Tabs and realise how they've been gifted opportunities on average ability. And he hasn't improved. Anyone who wants him in the team is an idiot who probably rates Sheridan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN likes this.
  7. jerms

jerms Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Peel, Glory, Cowboys, Warriors, TCU
    Feb 18, 2014
    Victorian Cheer Squad
    I am hardly on Team Tabernator, although as a Freo player I want him to succeed. In any event, 25 disposals, 13 marks, 8 hitouts and 6.0 could probably be reasonably defined as stomping it.

freo_leo29, Stronzo, samFFC and 2 others like this.
  8. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Dec 22, 2014
    He was subbed off 11 times in his first 28 games (2013-15).

kingswood71, FreoRicci and samFFC like this.
  9. fnerd

fnerd All Australian

Fremantle
    Aug 23, 2009
    perth
    Yeah he's shown the ability to have dominate wafl matches on a semi regular basis enough but thats not his issue nor is it NOW of much benefit to Fremantle.
    Clearly he needs to transform that type of performance to the seniors..CONSISTENTLY -and im not even talking about having games like that at the next level (unrealistic , apart , perhaps from the odd 1 against weak opposition)...if he could have even just close to half eg 1-2 goals 12/13 odd possies 4/5marks on a roughly consistent basis it'd be a fantastic result for freo and obviously himself.

There in lies the problem tho , he doesnt and virtually hasn't any time he's had a reasonable run in the seniors. Its been (generally) 1st/2nd game back have decent enough game followed by almost non existent ones-to the point where he becomes a genuine liability to the team.

Unless this changes between now and end of the year (I cant see it) then I actually think tabs(and freo) be best served parting ways.I think we ve just about developed him as far as we can , its now up to mathew (or another team) to see if he can take that next step.

jerms likes this.
  10. IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Feb 8, 2010
    Perth
    Do it again.

11. FreoMonocle

FreoMonocle Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Apr 25, 2011
    15 rounds in, 1.5 goals per game is 22.5 goals which is around 30 on the Coleman tally, along with Dustin Martin, Roughead and Breust, Casboult, Riewoldt and others. A minimum standard for our ideal, #1 draft pick, but without one of them available, you'd have to drop your expectations a bit surely? Our higher picked talent in McCarthy only has 1.2 goals/game and doesn't get dropped to the magoos.

Anyway, he has the 1.6 goals and 4 marks a game that you're asking for, he is the 8th highest average in the league for contested marks - and equal 2nd for clangers - Fyfe is 4th... But even with the clangers as an issue, he doesn't burn the ball when he goes for goal - 0.2 behinds per game, he is a great kick at goal.

His main woe is not his individual performance, it's being in a poorly functioning forward line. I don't think Buddy would be leading the Coleman race if he was in our forward line, it's missing on team work, it has less forward entries to do anything with and there is a lot of bad disposal to the forward line. We're screaming at McCarthy, Kersten, Crozier nearly as much as Tabs, Ballas gets a special mention today as well. Fix the team woes and you'll improve all of these individuals.

But agreed, he needs a new team.

imperial_oz and FreoRicci like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. FreoRicci

FreoRicci Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
    Sep 22, 2011
    Perth
    Matt Tabs has 26 goals in 10 games for Peel at 2.6 goals a game.

Also has 8 goals in 5 games at 1.6 goals a game, which is the highest average for Fremantle.

Shane Kersten has 16 in 14 games (1.1 per game), whilst McCarthy kicked 17 goals in 14 games (1.2)

Gekko71 and Freomaniac like this.
  13. heavho

heavho All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    fremantle
    Dec 22, 2005
    perth
    With sandi out and Darcy doing a great job but fading out towards the end of the games due to being young and not being able to run a full game out solo we need tabener in the rest of the year. Let him find form in the afl and not have him in and out consistently. Have him as that ruck/forward and if he stinks it up for the rest of the year we consider what to do with him from there.

FreoMonocle, samFFC and Freomaniac like this.
  14. IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Feb 8, 2010
    Perth
    So the height/marking thing has been done to death, but I feel the issue of his 'footy brain' has flown under radar.

He's not quick thinking, and he's not creative or intuitive. At times when he's gathered a loose ball and he's looking to move it on, it's like you can actually see the hamsters just sitting back, chilling.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

meima likes this.
  15. Arcassius

Arcassius Team Chaplain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Sep 9, 2010
    Beaconsfield
    Like ibbo

FreoRicci and TheInjuryFactory like this.
  16. mattis117

mattis117 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Manchester City
    Aug 20, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Tabs should just be delisted. He is not mentally strong enough to play AFL. With all of the talent coming through, it is likely only McCarthy has the talent to cement a spot in our future forward line, particularly with Cox showing amazing contested marking potential.

17. Big Animal

Big Animal Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Cockburn Doctors
    Nov 29, 2011
    He's only 1 of 44. I'd rather we kept him and helped our chances of Peel cups in the WAFL. Considering Freo's inability to get one in the AFL, it gives us something to celebrate in late September before the draft 'wins'

FreoRicci and Freomaniac like this.
  18. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    1 of 43 . Yarran gone .

19. mattis117

mattis117 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Manchester City
    Aug 20, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    ... I think people involved with the WAFL would find this comment offensive lol

Big Animal likes this.
  20. Freo15

Freo15 Debutant

Fremantle
    Jun 27, 2015
    He has developed slightly more than Crozier, but then that's not saying much.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

21. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears
    May 2, 2007
    WA
    Huh?

UFO Tatsu and Freomaniac like this.
  22. scon

scon Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    Apr 19, 2009
    western australia
    Has a much greater impact on the internet than in a game.

UFO Tatsu and IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN like this.
  23. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jun 5, 2015
    The black box represented the internet and the red light Tab .
    jen-and-the-intenet.gif

24. kingswood71

kingswood71 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    West Perth.
    Jul 18, 2010
    The Mid-West
    He is ;)

25. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Dec 22, 2014
    27 disposals, 10 marks, 8 hit outs, 5.0.

Now what?

freo_leo29, PapaJ and kingswood71 like this.