Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

At 200cm+ and with AFL listed players feeding him, he still can't stomp WAFL games.

I am hardly on Team Tabernator, although as a Freo player I want him to succeed. In any event, 25 disposals, 13 marks, 8 hitouts and 6.0 could probably be reasonably defined as stomping it.

I am hardly on Team Tabernator, although as a Freo player I want him to succeed. In any event, 25 disposals, 13 marks, 8 hitouts and 6.0 could probably be reasonably defined as stomping it.

Yeah he's shown the ability to have dominate wafl matches on a semi regular basis enough but thats not his issue nor is it NOW of much benefit to Fremantle.
Clearly he needs to transform that type of performance to the seniors..CONSISTENTLY -and im not even talking about having games like that at the next level (unrealistic , apart , perhaps from the odd 1 against weak opposition)...if he could have even just close to half eg 1-2 goals 12/13 odd possies 4/5marks on a roughly consistent basis it'd be a fantastic result for freo and obviously himself.

There in lies the problem tho , he doesnt and virtually hasn't any time he's had a reasonable run in the seniors. Its been (generally) 1st/2nd game back have decent enough game followed by almost non existent ones-to the point where he becomes a genuine liability to the team.

Unless this changes between now and end of the year (I cant see it) then I actually think tabs(and freo) be best served parting ways.I think we ve just about developed him as far as we can , its now up to mathew (or another team) to see if he can take that next step.

Clearly he needs to transform that type of performance to the seniors..CONSISTENTLY -and im not even talking about having games like that at the next level (unrealistic , apart , perhaps from the odd 1 against weak opposition)...if he could have even just close to half eg 1-2 goals 12/13 odd possies 4/5marks on a roughly consistent basis it'd be a fantastic result for freo and obviously himself.

There in lies the problem tho , he doesnt and virtually hasn't any time he's had a reasonable run in the seniors. Its been (generally) 1st/2nd game back have decent enough game followed by almost non existent ones-to the point where he becomes a genuine liability to the team.

Unless this changes between now and end of the year (I cant see it) then I actually think tabs(and freo) be best served parting ways.I think we ve just about developed him as far as we can , its now up to mathew (or another team) to see if he can take that next step.

15 rounds in, 1.5 goals per game is 22.5 goals which is around 30 on the Coleman tally, along with Dustin Martin, Roughead and Breust, Casboult, Riewoldt and others. A minimum standard for our ideal, #1 draft pick, but without one of them available, you'd have to drop your expectations a bit surely? Our higher picked talent in McCarthy only has 1.2 goals/game and doesn't get dropped to the magoos.

Anyway, he has the 1.6 goals and 4 marks a game that you're asking for, he is the 8th highest average in the league for contested marks - and equal 2nd for clangers - Fyfe is 4th... But even with the clangers as an issue, he doesn't burn the ball when he goes for goal - 0.2 behinds per game, he is a great kick at goal.

His main woe is not his individual performance, it's being in a poorly functioning forward line. I don't think Buddy would be leading the Coleman race if he was in our forward line, it's missing on team work, it has less forward entries to do anything with and there is a lot of bad disposal to the forward line. We're screaming at McCarthy, Kersten, Crozier nearly as much as Tabs, Ballas gets a special mention today as well. Fix the team woes and you'll improve all of these individuals.

But agreed, he needs a new team.

With sandi out and Darcy doing a great job but fading out towards the end of the games due to being young and not being able to run a full game out solo we need tabener in the rest of the year. Let him find form in the afl and not have him in and out consistently. Have him as that ruck/forward and if he stinks it up for the rest of the year we consider what to do with him from there.

So the height/marking thing has been done to death, but I feel the issue of his 'footy brain' has flown under radar.

He's not quick thinking, and he's not creative or intuitive. At times when he's gathered a loose ball and he's looking to move it on, it's like you can actually see the hamsters just sitting back, chilling.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So the height/marking thing has been done to death, but I feel the issue of his 'footy brain' has flown under radar.

He's not quick thinking, and he's not creative or intuitive. At times when he's gathered a loose ball and he's looking to move it on, it's like you can actually see the hamsters just sitting back, chilling.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Like ibbo

Tabs should just be delisted. He is not mentally strong enough to play AFL. With all of the talent coming through, it is likely only McCarthy has the talent to cement a spot in our future forward line, particularly with Cox showing amazing contested marking potential.

Tabs should just be delisted. He is not mentally strong enough to play AFL. With all of the talent coming through, it is likely only McCarthy has the talent to cement a spot in our future forward line, particularly with Cox showing amazing contested marking potential.
He's only 1 of 44. I'd rather we kept him and helped our chances of Peel cups in the WAFL. Considering Freo's inability to get one in the AFL, it gives us something to celebrate in late September before the draft 'wins'

He's only 1 of 44. I'd rather we kept him and helped our chances of Peel cups in the WAFL. Considering Freo's inability to get one in the AFL, it gives us something to celebrate in late September before the draft 'wins'
1 of 43 . Yarran gone .

... I think people involved with the WAFL would find this comment offensive lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The black box represented the internet and the red light Tab .
jen-and-the-intenet.gif

what's that got to do with next year?
You did not mention next year in your previous post as stated below .
QUOTE="Big Animal, post: 51311518, member: 127035"]He's only 1 of 44. I'd rather we kept him and helped our chances of Peel cups in the WAFL. Considering Freo's inability to get one in the AFL, it gives us something to celebrate in late September before the draft 'wins'[/QUOTE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back