Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

He dropped 3 sitters against Essendon too, he needs to play but I just think come crunch time he might let us down in a big moment.

His hands aren't good enough and for mine you either have it or you don't. Running power will only take you so far.
Remembered Zac Clarke was rag dolled and very similar to tabs was. It isn't the case if you have it, it's developing it with your body and mentality. Clarke is coming good an has been what? 4-5 years? Fyfe wasn't one to be instantly good with his hands eitherz

You reckon? I think it's the opposite. You can teach a guy how to catch. What's a lot harder to teach is being able to get in the right position to mark in a contest, because it relies on mostly instinct.

Either way, I hope Taberner is spending half his day having the ball bombed at him.
Yeah agree with that. Knowing where to be is half the battle

If he gets the number of games to develop that Zac Clarke got gifted he'll be fine.

We have the luxury of letting a 21 year old 198cm forward develop in a winning team while scoring a goal and a half a game. The amount of whinging about him not clunking every single mark makes me think he must be some gold plated number one draft pick getting a million bucks a year.

I say that Fyfe is a decent player, I wish he'd get a haircut though. Get off my lawn.

We have the luxury of letting a 21 year old 198cm forward develop in a winning team while scoring a goal and a half a game. The amount of whinging about him not clunking every single mark makes me think he must be some gold plated number one draft pick getting a million bucks a year.
He surely offer more value for money then a 50000$ handball.

If he gets the number of games to develop that Zac Clarke got gifted he'll be fine.

I say that Fyfe is a decent player, I wish he'd get a haircut though. Get off my lawn.

We could easily forgive him for dropping the occasional mark, but he drops a heap of easy marks. He does so much hard work running into good areas, but lets himself down with his marking. Fortunately it is an area that will improve drastically with practice, so I have very high hope for Tabs.

We could easily forgive him for dropping the occasional mark, but he drops a heap of easy marks. He does so much hard work running into good areas, but lets himself down with his marking. Fortunately it is an area that will improve drastically with practice, so I have very high hope for Tabs.
You've summed it up . He runs really hard to create space but often drops marks as a result of being fatigued whilst trying to mark the ball. That can improve with fitness. He wont become the best mark in the league, but he will continue to improve.

Lots of positives with Taberner. Low draft pick who looks like becoming an authentic AFL player. Tall with great aerobic capacity. For his size kicks well on both feet. Good with his hands. Gets into dangerous positions. Attacks the aerial contests with courage.

I'm really pleased that he took that snap shot on goal. As a young player he may have felt the need to handball off and do the team thing. If you're a natural forward, you should always have a shot. It was obviously bit close, but I'm happy that he has that level of confidence in himself to take responsibility.

He is very confident on his opposite foot. I think it was the week before where he even wheeled around on to his right even though left side was clear before hitting a target inside 50. Certainly a great ability to have. Don't see it to often with other key position forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is very confident on his opposite foot. I think it was the week before where he even wheeled around on to his right even though left side was clear before hitting a target inside 50. Certainly a great ability to have. Don't see it to often with other key position forwards.

I think that was a bullet pass to Pavlich.

He did really well once Pav went off on Saturday. Didn't mark everything but seem to at minimum halved the contest. His aerobic capacity suits our game style and I think he will become a player.

He dropped 3 sitters against Essendon too, he needs to play but I just think come crunch time he might let us down in a big moment.
You just made me remember a simple dropped uncontested mark in the goal square against Sydney in the QF last year. Shudder.

That being said, I'm quietly confident that Maggie is developing into a useful KPF. It's about time we had a second one.

Re watched the game and this lad has some great hands and is slick below his knees. Considering that is one of Pav's great strengths Tabs future at the club seems pretty bright

What? He's always been a clean mark with vice like hands. It was recognized as a major strength heading into the draft, and it showed through in his early AFL games and ever since.

Agreed, Nat Avatar Fyfe always had strong hands above his head. Look at his fist AFL goal.

I'm pretty happy with Tabs. Would have loved to see him take a few more of those marks, but that will come. He's only played 20 games & has 19 goals. Happy with him continuing about a goal a game

What? He's always been a clean mark with vice like hands. It was recognized as a major strength heading into the draft, and it showed through in his early AFL games and ever since.
Agreed, Nat Avatar Fyfe always had strong hands above his head. Look at his fist AFL goal.

I'm pretty happy with Tabs. Would have loved to see him take a few more of those marks, but that will come. He's only played 20 games & has 19 goals. Happy with him continuing about a goal a game

Fyfe has talked on numerous occasions how as a junior footballer, his overhead marking was his weakness. He reckons he's good at it because he had to spend a lot of time on it.

Fyfe has talked on numerous occasions how as a junior footballer, his overhead marking was his weakness. He reckons he's good at it because he had to spend a lot of time on it.

That's really odd given it was considered his main strength leading up to the draft. Maybe he means proper juniors, like under 15s.

With his snap on goal on Saturday, he comfortably dropped it on his right boot ( non natural ). Didn't duck and dive like some players to get on their natural side.

I'm old fashioned on kicking, you must be confident on both feet.

bloody unusual for a key forward. I don't think Pav has kicked on his opposite for 5 years.

I'm really pleased that he took that snap shot on goal. As a young player he may have felt the need to handball off and do the team thing. If you're a natural forward, you should always have a shot. It was obviously bit close, but I'm happy that he has that level of confidence in himself to take responsibility.

Yup bit like Jeremy Cameron - though Cameron wouldn't have even looked for the handball.

bloody unusual for a key forward. I don't think Pav has kicked on his opposite for 5 years.

Wrong. Pav kicked the ball off his left foot to the top of the square on Saturday night. It was basically a SITTER FOR TABS. He dropped it.

Pav also had a left foot snap on goal at the City end; relatively easy but missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back