Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where football is a little like gambling....
Tabs plays WAFL and for whatever reason,doesnt play well....people will be like "Well its good we didnt pick him for the seniors...to inconsistent".
Tabs plays WAFL and has a blinder....people melt because he didnt play seniors.
Tabs plays Seniors, has a stinker....people "Useless spud...good WAFL player, spud at AFL level".
Tabs plays seniors has a great game...some people "See!!" or others "Do it again to prove its not a fluke".

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesnt :(
Not for me! I reckon he needs as many chances at AFL as possible, we need to play him and he deserves to be in the team.
Best way to do that is to keep banging the door down with these performances he is producing, he is already clearly hands down the best tall forward in the WAFL

Kicked a goal in every WAFL game. Kicked multiple goals (2+) in 7 of 11 Peel games.
Only game he got donuts in this season has been the Adelaide game when the whole team forgot to show up.

I think saying he has been spudding it up in the WAFL is a bad call. He may very well be one of the 'too good for WAFL' not good enough for AFL but there is no way in hell he is any worse than what Kersten and McCarthy have been dishing up over the past 6 weeks.

View attachment 393562
View attachment 393563
Meaningless numbers. Kicked 5 on the weekend, yet most of the feedback about his game, including from Lyon, is it wasn't as good as stats suggest.

Kersten gets dropped and plays 1 average WAFL game. Taberner still couldn't out perform Kersten.

Not long before that he was making Zac D look like Plugger.

Frame the argument however you want, it's just not credible.

That is the reason he need to go , if you rated tab isn't it better for him to have a career elsewhere rather than with peel. Kersten is damn lazy compare to Tab .

He doesn't NEED to go but if he can't get a game here, he will go and get one elsewhere. Apparently Menegola wasn't AFL standard either until he went elsewhere. I agree Kersten is lazy compared to Tabs

Meaningless numbers. Kicked 5 on the weekend, yet most of the feedback about his game, including from Lyon, is it wasn't as good as stats suggest.

Kersten gets dropped and plays 1 average WAFL game. Taberner still couldn't out perform Kersten.

Not long before that he was making Zac D look like Plugger.

Frame the argument however you want, it's just not credible.

Thats just untrue. Tabs has outperformed Kersten across the entire. He has a far higher scoring accuracy and averages 1.6 goals per game to Kersten's 1.1. Outperformed him at WAFL level as well.

Yes, he got back into the team after a very average performance at WAFL level yet Tabs can't get a look in after good performances. Might say more about Lyon than Tabs with tho0se comments. Apparently Menegola wasn't AFL standard and Luke Ball couldn't get a run. Funny thing is, Menegola is AFL standard and Luke Ball got a premiership the year following not getting much of a run under Lyon.

He doesn't NEED to go but if he can't get a game here, he will go and get one elsewhere. Apparently Menegola wasn't AFL standard either until he went elsewhere. I agree Kersten is lazy compared to Tabs
Menegola had a tank that was better than 99% of the competition, so he had something he could bring to the table. What weapons has Taberner got?

None.

Menegola had a tank that was better than 99% of the competition, so he had something he could bring to the table. What weapons has Taberner got?

None.

Fine, you don't like him but thats a silly comment.

He's a very good contested mark and very good kick on goal. Both at AFL and WAFL. He has higher score involvements than either Kersten or McCarthy.

He was our leading contested mark even when Pav was playing, so he has that weapon.

Scoring accuracy at AFL level this year, 89%, so he has that weapon.

He has height and can act as a backup ruck, which he does at Peel, so he has that weapon.

All of those things are better than Kerston, who goes missing for most of a game. Yet Kersten cops praise while being generally ineffective,yet Tabs can't even get an acknowledgement from Lyon when he goes well. The problem isn't with Tabs.

He's a very good contested mark and very good kick on goal. Both at AFL and WAFL. He has higher score involvements than either Kersten or McCarthy.

He was our leading contested mark even when Pav was playing, so he has that weapon.

He has height and can act as a backup ruck, which he does at Peel, so he has that weapon.

All of those things are better than Kerston, who goes missing for most of a game. Yet Kersten cops praise while being generally ineffective,yet Tabs can't even get an acknowledgement from Lyon when he goes well. The problem isn't with Tabs.
Gee this Tabs guy sounds like a gun footballer!

I cannot agree that Taberner is either a competent contested mark or 2nd ruck

Strnadica is superior in the ruck and in the air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your agreement is irrelevant. The stats which are not opinions show otherwise.

The stats show he was our leading contested mark last year. He took 31 from 17 games. Pav was next best with 26 from 18 games

Tabs currently has our highest scoring average at 1.6 goals per game. Thats also factual not opinion.

You have to wonder why he can't get a game while players with poorer records are barely held accountable

Strnadica at this stage of his career can't even make Peel's league team with any regularity, whilst Tabs has been consistently performing to a high standard. You don't like the guy, that's obvious, you don't need to blatantly bullshit to try and prove a point.

Your agreement is irrelevant. The stats which are not opinions show otherwise.

The stats show he was our leading contested mark last year. He took 31 from 17 games. Pav was next best with 26 from 18 games

Tabs currently has our highest scoring average at 1.6 goals per game. Thats also factual not opinion.

You have to wonder why he can't get a game while players with poorer records are barely held accountable
The stats which you've cherry picked and that don't bear a genuine reflection of his abilities and or performances...

Stats can be twisted any way you want to support your argument, this isn't my first rodeo babe.

The stats which you've cherry picked and that don't bear a genuine reflection of his abilities and or performances...

Stats can be twisted any way you want to support your argument, this isn't my first rodeo babe.
Yeah easy to make stuff up isn't it. Like calling Alex Pearce a contested marking beast. :drunk:

When you take your purple glasses off you might be able to discern the truth.

Nothing cherry picked at all. That is absurd.

You claimed that Tabs was not a competent mark and I quoted the RELEVANT stat that showed you were 100% wrong

That is not a cherry picked stat and the only twisting I'm seeing here is you pretending otherwise.

The scoring accuracy and the average score per game are entirely relevant to the discussion of which forward should be played. Tabs stats are superior to Kersten's. Again not cherry picked. Again, entirely relevant.

Lets look at scoring accuracy in the WAFL

Tabs has kicked 31 goals 12 and while below his AFL scoring accuracy, its still extremely good. That also includes 5 goals 0 points on a wet and windy day where he also took a number of extremely good contested marks. All up, 10 marks on a wet day and thats pretty damn impressive no matter how much you want squirm your way out of it, your comments about Tabs are demonstrably wrong

Yeah easy to make stuff up isn't it. Like calling Alex Pearce a contested marking beast. :drunk:

When you take your purple glasses off you might be able to discern the truth.
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot, Pearce can't be a good contested mark because Taberner is life etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back