Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

It pissed me off when they highlighted Rance and how he 'engages' a player. I was like WTF. Back turned to the play and basically just holds him!

They made it seem like it was good defense. I honestly didn't get how it's not a free everyday of the week. In fact I think Taberner got called for a free against for eventually throwing Rance off him.

I remember them showing last year how Rance was awesome against Franklin and EVERY contest Rance put his hands under Franklins armpits and basically lifted him. It was just classic holding the man, but they gave him credit on that day too.
Defenders have very little 'legal' options when it comes to defending 1v1, just about every single 1v1 marking contest in a forward line has 1 or more technical infringements. It's pretty much at the point that a defender's 'craft' is more about getting away with infringements rather than playing within the rules

I'm with ydraw on this one. Tabs was good yesterday when the rest of the team gave him a chance.

He is no messiah but gee get behind him. Still only 24 and played 52 games or whatever.

I hope he get another year and finds whatever it is he is missing because I actually think he has B/B+ potential in him.
I thought he started well yesterday but had a bit of a 'mare in front of goals. His second half was ordinary and by the last quarter, he'd totally gone to pieces (like most of the team). Didn't look anywhere near AFL standard.

I'd like to see him close the gap between his best and worst, unfortunately, he's into his fifth year and showing no signs. Eventually, we'll all have to just face the reality that M Taberner isn't an AFL CHF. It's a bit sad really because I thought his first/second year we saw plenty of upside. It just never happened for him. It's clear he can't take 'the next step'. We're flogging a dead horse.

I thought he started well yesterday but had a bit of a 'mare in front of goals. His second half was ordinary and by the last quarter, he'd totally gone to pieces (like most of the team). Didn't look anywhere near AFL standard.

I'd like to see him close the gap between his best and worst, unfortunately, he's into his fifth year and showing no signs. Eventually, we'll all have to just face the reality that M Taberner isn't an AFL CHF. It's a bit sad really because I thought his first/second year we saw plenty of upside. It just never happened for him. It's clear he can't take 'the next step'. We're flogging a dead horse.

Not really sure how you can watch his last 2 games and still think that. He's easily been our best tall in both games.

Not really sure how you can watch his last 2 games and still think that. He's easily been our best tall in both games.

Lol I'll give him the first quarter yesterday , he was no where to be seen after that which is strange when he's playing for his career, you've got a hard on for someone who really isn't up to it at AFL level.

Lol I'll give him the first quarter yesterday , he was no where to be seen after that which is strange when he's playing for his career, you've got a hard on for someone who really isn't up to it at AFL level.

Not sure if you noticed mate but we got absolutely flogged all over the ground in the last 3 quarters yesterday. I'm not really sure what you expect our FF to do in those circumstances. None of our other forwards touched it much after the first quarter either.

It would be fine to trade/delist Tabs if we had contested marking forwards coming out of our backsides.......but we don't. So it makes much more sense to keep him and try to build his experience and confidence.

The rest of your post wasn't worth responding to. You're effectively saying we should cut him because he missed some shots at goal despite him being the best shot for goal in the team. You should be happy I chose not to quote it.
Ok - so when I say to give him one ore year, that actually means he should be cut? I want whatever you're on! :D

13 straight at WAFL or something. And then missing easy ones at AFL. Gotta be between the ears. I'm torn on him. Give him one more year and hope it clicks or just cut your losses and move on. One more year feels right to me. But not expecting too much from him. Just wish he had some mongrel in him

It would be fine to trade/delist Tabs if we had contested marking forwards coming out of our backsides.......but we don't. So it makes much more sense to keep him and try to build his experience and confidence.
Don't mind either way, I will wish him all the best like deboer or menegola if he can improve in another club . Geelong could had keep hamling and Kersten as depth but they bring menegola in instead.

Taberner was good when the midfield was competitive in the first quarter. Suggests we need to improve the quality and quality depth of our midfield first and foremost.Especially with smart and hard ball winners, and good kicks and decision-makers. Taberner would have kicked those goal in the wafl, not sure what was going on there. Probably the pressure of expectation and increased scrutiny. Our lack of defensive pressure and chase on Richmond's running half-backs was a serious concern.

Thought he took a big step forward in the first quarter, took the opportunities that the midfield provided him. Could've had 2. But then the midfield gave up in the 2ndc and don't think we had clear chances going forward. It was all in Richmond's forward half.
He did well against Rance, as well as he could with all the pathetic holding Alex got away with.

If he wasn't going to mark, he brought the ball down to ground- a few times the crumbles benefitted. Set up Bennell's holding the ball, also a pick up and handball to de Luca. He continuously led down the wing, didn't get any kicks his way- instead took the long bomb options many times throughout.

Like I said before, it's clear there's a poor forward line coaching happening. Really need a new coaching assistant. Someone like Nick Riewoldt would be huge, he ll go a long way in helping someone like Tabs. Tabs needs a tad more advice on when to lead and run. Has to fend for himself and try to win contested marks. He's a runner, a huge tank. Just don't take advantage of that. It's very frustrating watching other teams- Richmond, Sydney, West Coast, Hawthorn- just hit lace out kicks on the lead. Right on the chest. How many times you see Josh Kennedy, Franklin, Riewoldt, Walker, Ben Brown etc having balls kicked 5-10 meters short of them, or helicopter kicks. Hardly any. Kennedy gets good separation from his defender rewarded by accurate kicking.
If you watch Tabs/McCarthy, they do that often but time and time again gets rubbish kicks that fall short, or on their hands easily spoiled.

Agree with most of that ricci,the kicking yesterday was shizzen,brad hills a great running player but geez he coughs it up a lot,couple smothered kicks,kicks falling short or straight to richmond,i even think he hand passed directly to a richmond player??he wasn"t alone,the skills really need serious addressing

You're defending a bloke who in his two games since being recalled has kicked 1.3, and been beaten by 106 and 104 points. I've had enough of being the laughing stock of the AFL and are ready to make some calls on these blokes who have been around for 6 years and refuse to improve. Quite frankly, I've had a gutful of mediocrity being good enough. It's happened at Freo for way too long.

\
You're defending a bloke who in his two games since being recalled has kicked 1.3, and been beaten by 106 and 104 points. I've had enough of being the laughing stock of the AFL and are ready to make some calls on these blokes who have been around for 6 years and refuse to improve. Quite frankly, I've had a gutful of mediocrity being good enough. It's happened at Freo for way too long.

I didn't think he was fantastic either but you'd do better directing your ire at, Brad and Stephen Hill and Lachie Weller who burnt more balls than a vasectomy clinic.

They're the ones who are supposed to be the drivers of the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

\

I didn't think he was fantastic either but you'd do better directing your ire at, Brad and Stephen Hill and Lachie Weller who burnt more balls than a vasectomy clinic.

They're the ones who are supposed to be the drivers of the team
I expect Brad, Stephen and Lachie will get back to their best. They have demonstrated that they have the skill-set to play AFL at a consistently high standard over a long period. I have full faith that they will be hurting from the losses over the past two weeks and looking at ways to improve.

I expect Matthew Taberner to drop uncontested marks, demonstrate the football brain of a toaster and miss easy set-shot. Get dropped. Play some OK WAFL football. Get recalled. Remind us all (again) why we dropped him in the first place - and then (as Katy Perry says) do it all again. It's repetitive nonsense and I'm embarrassed by it. We all should be.

I expect Brad, Stephen and Lachie will get back to their best. They have demonstrated that they have the skill-set to play AFL at a consistently high standard over a long period. I have full faith that they will be hurting from the losses over the past two weeks and looking at ways to improve.

I expect Matthew Taberner to drop uncontested marks, demonstrate the football brain of a toaster and miss easy set-shot. Get dropped. Play some OK WAFL football. Get recalled. Remind us all (again) why we dropped him in the first place - and then (as Katy Perry says) do it all again. It's repetitive nonsense and I'm embarrassed by it. We all should be.

Of course you're only ever going to see that if you cant bring yourself to give him any credit no matter what. He's been our best forward since he got back in the team and you're still bagging him.

To put things into perspective....Tabs lead us in average contested marks per game, is equal second in average goals per game and is equal 10th on our total highest goals despite playing a lot less games.
He has laid only 5 less tackles than Kersten, despite Kersten playing 12 more games.
5th most marks inside 50 for us, despite playing only 7 games.
For me that last stat tells the story of us....ranked 18th in marks inside 50 this season....Crying out for a forward to actually take a mark.....And Tabs only plays 7 games.
Big big Ross Lyon fan, but this actually astounds me.

To put things into perspective....Tabs lead us in average contested marks per game, is equal second in average goals per game and is equal 10th on our total highest goals despite playing a lot less games.
He has laid only 5 less tackles than Kersten, despite Kersten playing 12 more games.
For me that last stat tells the story of us....ranked 18th in marks inside 50 this season....Crying out for a forward to actually take a mark.....And Tabs only plays 7 games.

I think a key stat here is that Tabs averages over 4 clangers a game while Kersten and McCarthy average about 2 per game. So you are getting roughly the same number of goals per game for half the number of clangers.

I think that is probably something that is holding Tabs back -- the perception that he can pretty regularly do some dumb things out there.

Mind you stats aren't everything. After all do you know who also averages over 4 clangers per game? ... Nat Fyfe

I think we are covering old ground again but there are two stats that show the other side of Taberner:
1. He has easily the most clangers of all our tall forwards (double Kersten and McCarthy). He was third most clangers per game of all players before yesterday and there isn't another non inside mid anywhere close to the top of that list. He gives the ball up too easily at times and undoes all the hard work getting the ball into our forward line.
2. And he only has 2 goal assists this season - 1 of them yesterday. We keep talking about a big contested beast that can bring the ball to ground for smalls. Goal assists is where you'd see this. It was great seeing him do it yesterday - I just wish we saw it every game and more than once per game.

The other question marks I've always had are:
3. Doesn't get separation on the lead because he just doesn't seem good at leading to the ball. Plenty mentioned how he often crowded space yesterday.
4. I often find his direct opponent has a field day rebounding out of defence. Not expecting him to be a pressure king but he needs to switch from attack to defence more quickly. The hands on hips is a Tabs' classic.

Almost all of the above seems to relate to attitude. If he is confident and has a bit of agro, all these problems seem to go away. I don't like the whole comparing him to our other forwards. These are the things Tabs needs to work on irrespective of our other players. We'll give him another year imo, and I personally think he deserves it but I still think he is a long shot to be part of our future B22.

A lot of his clangers are in ruck contests. something that Kersten and McCarthy don't have to worry about.

Also, when you compare his stats to our other forwards, remember that Taberner has played a fair bit of time in the ruck, yet is still averaging way more marks inside 50 than the others.

I think a key stat here is that Tabs averages over 4 clangers a game while Kersten and McCarthy average about 2 per game. So you are getting roughly the same number of goals per game for half the number of clangers.

I think that is probably something that is holding Tabs back -- the perception that he can pretty regularly do some dumb things out there.

Mind you stats aren't everything. After all do you know who also averages over 4 clangers per game? ... Nat Fyfe
Easy to say that, because all Kersten averages is 10.7 disposals per game - so really he has 20% of those as clangers. McCarthy and Kersten haven't really put their hands on the footy this season. Nor has Ballas/Grey at times. It's a horrible season to be a Fremantle forward- particularly the last 2 months.

Guess who's number 1 in Clanger per game? Dustin Martin. Yep, hard to think of that isn't it .

Another stat to add- Matt Tabs is still number 1 in contested marks per game - took 2 yesterday. So he's averaging 2.57 per game.

Easy to say that, because all Kersten averages is 10.7 disposals per game - so really he has 20% of those as clangers. McCarthy and Kersten haven't really put their hands on the footy this season. Nor has Ballas/Grey at times. It's a horrible season to be a Fremantle forward- particularly the last 2 months.

Guess who's number 1 in Clanger per game? Dustin Martin. Yep, hard to think of that isn't it .

Another stat to add- Matt Tabs is still number 1 in contested marks per game - took 2 yesterday. So he's averaging 2.57 per game.
In the end result count , how many game grey play where freo win matches compare to Tab .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back