Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

And to think he should've got 5 today. Dominated AA calibre best defender. Has the yips but got 3. Normally he's a great kick for goal. He just keeps going, 10 marks again. Our leading contested mark after 5 rounds as well as total marks. Just stoked with him. Composure in front of goal is all he's missing.

And with his tank up to 13 marks including 4 contested. Brilliant.

Great game, but would not back him in a big moment. Really needs to get comfortable in the spotlight.

Mundy needs to give him some lessons on how to be an iceman.
Mundy became an iceman after that agonising miss against Geelong in Geelong. Worked on it after that.
Tabs will only keep working

21 disposals, 13 marks, 18 kicks. He’s averaging 99.6 pts a game in fantasy team. 4 contested grabs.

Leading the club in total marks and contested marks. Now has 15 contested marks, 3 per game. Next best is Lobb with 7.
But know what’s the crazy stat? He’s 9th in total disposals at the club, 92 disposals averaging 18.2. 10 goals so far. Huge.

21 disposals, 13 marks, 18 kicks. He’s averaging 99.6 pts a game in fantasy team. 4 contested grabs.

Leading the club in total marks and contested marks. Now has 15 contested marks, 3 per game. Next best is Lobb with 7.
But know what’s the crazy stat? He’s 9th in total disposals at the club, 92 disposals averaging 18.2. 10 goals so far. Huge.
Yep. He's also getting free from his man a ton. Could have had four more shots on goal last week against west coast if our kicking was better than woeful in the forward fifty. Believe it or not a consistently clueless poster on here said we should drop him for cox last week. All he has to do is get over his yips and you've got one of the best key forwards in the afl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Tabs (and Lobb and Hogan) forces opposition defenders to spoil. Not getting outmarked in your F50 is a massive plus in terms of keeping the opposition's defense under pressure. Brandon Matera and Switta like it too.

Last edited:
I believe Taberner is the player we always wanted. He has limitations, but his upside is just amazing. I believe he is the best contested mark in the competition.

He is not conventional. He is not flashy. He is unorthodox in many aspects. But he is one of the toughest players going around. Statistics are in our favour also. In the past 2 years, when he plays we win more than we lose.

I am a bit sick of the rhetoric going around trying to prove he is bad. I would say he is a top 10 player (for Freo), and a target for every club. He can ruck, go to defence, play as a roaming forward, and sneak forward as a key forward.

WHAT THE F IS THERE NOT TO LIKE?

Last edited:
He's actually arrived. Super dominant the last couple against really good defenders. What I love about him is that he does so much work around the ground. Just need to work on the brain farts and he'll be a genuine 45-50+ goal forward which seems crazy to think about considering how far he's come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back