Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got enough of a mix of forwards now that any deficiencies from the talls aren’t exacerbated by a lack of smalls in wet weather. The way things are going it probs wont rain much this winter anyway.

We could have had all our talls being useless at ground level, but Cam and Hogan are good for it, so I'm not so worried about being too tall as a consequence.

We could have had all our talls being useless at ground level, but Cam and Hogan are good for it, so I'm not so worried about being too tall as a consequence.

Yes, my only question mark for wet weather footy is Tabs, hence bringing it up in this thread, but as you say, Cam and Hoges and I think even Lobb play fine under precipitation, but thankfully we now have all these other options to offset him.

I’ll have to say, it’s quite a pleasure watching Taberner grow as a player.
I remembered reading a article where Tabs is preparing for AFL by training an running a half marathon. Turned out, that wasn’t sufficient and he’s always sub out of the few matches he played when he ran out of steam.
His first couple of years is quite a comedy (wasn’t that funny back then), he’ll take one amazing contested pack mark and kick a goal, then proceed to drop and fumble all the other simple uncontested marks and turn it over.
It’s nice to see he’ve fixed that (mostly, but seems he still have his brain fades now and then).
It’s not difficult to see he works hard to improve himself. Every year, he gets picked for games and is visibly a little stronger, a little fitter, takes a few more marks than the previous year. Last year was supposed to be his breakout year, then got hit with the foot injury. It’s great to see he is finally putting his stamp and is proving to be an important part of our team.

Great marking performance, but looked like he was leaning back a little on his set shots, rather than kicking through them. Should be an easy fix, and hopefully the club will have him practising like crazy!

Great marking performance, but looked like he was leaning back a little on his set shots, rather than kicking through them. Should be an easy fix, and hopefully the club will have him practising like crazy!
Get Pav back. He kicked something ridiculous like 27 straight didn’t he? Perfect example. Just a few tips and mental things and he ll be kicking bags.

Get Pav back. He kicked something ridiculous like 27 straight didn’t he? Perfect example. Just a few tips and mental things and he ll be kicking bags.

To be perfectly honest, if I wanted someone to kick a goal for my life, it wouldn't be Pav.

He was the straighest kick around, but his radar was always a bit iffy.

Like a lot of forwards with the yips, Tabs can kick the difficult set shots (non-preferred banana on Saturday) but struggles with the ones he feels he should kick.

Nothing wrong with the mechanics, he just needs to get his head right.

Like a lot of forwards with the yips, Tabs can kick the difficult set shots (non-preferred banana on Saturday) but struggles with the ones he feels he should kick.

Nothing wrong with the mechanics, he just needs to get his head right.
100% .

There's one incredibly important skill that arches across so many variations of professionalism. It sounds like a boring old adage and comes in a few variation but it's essentially not letting past results impact current ones mentally. Take each shot on it's merits etc. Golf a good example.

If you have 10 bad shots in a row your next one is thought of and executed the same as if you have had 10 good shots in a row.

It's soo hard to master if it's not natural to you. I know people who are rediculously elite at predicting market movements in stock and currencies but are paid to analyse because they're unable to master this skill and they defeat themselves with their own accounts. On the other side people who know little more than the basics make a killing because they can do it.

Anyway.. rant over.

Taberner’s issue isn’t really technique or ability, it’s mental. He doesn’t need Riewoldt over and he had about five years to learn everything from Pavlich.

He needs someone to tell him a few home truths and to also nurture him.

He’s a big boy. He’s a good kick. He just shits himself. It’s why he can only take marks from behind or the side - footsteps spook him, getting hurt is his worst fear even though with impact he’d be the one doling it out. The set shots are the same thing.

He’s probably a really nice guy. He’s just too nice as a footballer.

The fact he never changes his expression shows a bit of that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taberner’s issue isn’t really technique or ability, it’s mental. He doesn’t need Riewoldt over and he had about five years to learn everything from Pavlich.

He’s a big boy. He’s a good kick. He just shits himself. It’s why he can only take marks from behind or the side - footsteps spook him, getting hurt is his worst fear even though with impact he’d be the one doling it out. The set shots are the same thing.

He doesnt ever take marks from the side. Took at least four pack marks against GWS in one game. None from the side. Third in contested marks in the afl he's one of the best at taking marks with a player near him so far this year. This year he's thriving when there's player contact in marking situations.

Rarely seen a player that looks so close yet so far of being an elite KPF, yes he is structurally important and is an awsome contested mark but i can't stop feeling that there is clearly something missing that will stop him from ever being a great player. He is more than servicable nonetheless but to put it simply, built like a Ferrari, plays like a Fiat.

Just my opinion, i know that's worth f**kall and a lot of people would disagree but i am sticking to it.

Last edited:
He's not really a coward on the field like your Darling types, his main weakness is he just doesn't really have a given natural footy brain despite having most of the physical tools out there.

He has to has some kind of a natural brain to get into so many marking positions. If he took all the ones he should he'd be taking about 15 marks per game. That's something you can't really learn and he's always had that even before the other stuff clicked.

Really his issue is just self-doubt. He probably doesn't think he belongs there and you can't blame him for thinking that given how his career has gone previous to this year. The more pressure the situation the more likely he is to miss. That's just a classic case of the yips, the only real cure is to jag a few sausage rolls and let the pressure melt away.

There's nothing wrong with his kicking action and historically he's been a pretty good kick for goal. It's a dead giveaway when he's kicking bananas from the boundary line but missing from straight in front that it's the yips, which almost all key forwards go through at some stage in their career.

Last edited:
If he knocks his average goals up to 3 per game and continues to sit at 18.2 possessions and 8.6 marks then his stats are comparable to Riewoldt and Carey at the same age (Disclaimer - not comparing players or his playing style - just stats)(Carey 19.4 D, 8 M, 3.3 G, Reiwoldt 17.2 D, 9.2 M, 3.3 G) The question is can he remain consistent over this year and then improve again?

The fact he can take a contested grab is huge. But you’re right, he needs a bit much of that aggro or bully mentality. Rough up his opponent. He can do it, but seems like he holds himself back. Against West Coast, he failed to really bully Barrass and knock him around. He did a fair bit against GWS though.

It’s 100% mental. The fact that he was often the first dropped after a poor game from the team probably contributes to that ‘fear’. It was only in 2017 where he had to play 2 months at Peel before even getting a chance at AFL level. He went on to really exert his dominance in the WAFL finals that year. But now he’s slowly, albeit VERY slowly realizes he belongs in the league.

Tabs never have had this many chances in front of goals, that’s probably so overwhelming haha. Nah he just needs to practice and get a routine. Lots of great forwards had yips, let alone the standard forwards.

Tabs has been the most dominant tall of the past 2 weeks, against good sides in West Coast and GWS
42 touches, 35 kicks
21 marks, 7 contested 11 inside 50
14 shots on goal and if he was kicking them at his career average he'd 9 or 10 instead of 5

This week he comes up against the dogs and he should be eyeing up a bag, their defense is putrid.
If we are to play finals we need to dominate at home to keep the percentage high, Taberner owning a favorable match up this Saturday at home in Mundy's 300 and the len hall is important to that.

Like others have said if he takes more of his oppurtunities to covert and gets his confidence up all the opposition tall defenders in the game are gonna crap there pants when the balls coming in and infringe. Phil Davis is as good as anyone going around.
If the media catch's on and they change their perception of him he could even become a protected species like Kennedy, Lloyd or Reiwoldt and get even more pings on goal....Its a nice thought.

Nice photo, he's being held, punched in the head, and taking the mark.

Held and hit.jpg

Tabs has been the most dominant tall of the past 2 weeks, against good sides in West Coast and GWS
42 touches, 35 kicks
21 marks, 7 contested 11 inside 50
14 shots on goal and if he was kicking them at his career average he'd 9 or 10 instead of 5

This week he comes up against the dogs and he should be eyeing up a bag, their defense is putrid.
If we are to play finals we need to dominate at home to keep the percentage high, Taberner owning a favorable match up this Saturday at home in Mundy's 300 and the len hall is important to that.

Last year against the dogs he was on track for 30 disposals (20 contested), 25 marks (15 contested), 5 goals, and 10 hitouts before he got injured

Rarely seen a player that looks so close yet so far of being an elite KPF, yes he is structurally important and is an awsome contested mark but i can't stop feeling that there is clearly something missing that will stop him from ever being a great player. He is more than servicable nonetheless but to put it simply, built like a Ferrari, plays like a Fiat.

Just my opinion, i know that's worth f**kall and a lot of people would disagree but i am sticking to it.
IMO your missing the most important part and that's the fact that he makes a defense put time into him which frees up our elite KPF in Hogan and that's all we need from Tabs. Very few teams have two elite KPD that can stop Hogan and Tabs, then throw Lobb and McCarthy/Cox at them as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back